Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
Real world mpg
cjfp

RE: Real world mpg

Sounds like us manual boys r gonna be laughing all the way to the bank with those mpg's! We'll have to buy the drinks when we meet with the auto boys!

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
04-12-2011 09:41pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Evo-king

I can't seem to find it now, but yesterday I read a post by someone who had one of these boxes fitted and his diesel fuel consumption had improved quite a bit, no mention of power changes, he also added that the box could be easily removed or refitted.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
04-12-2011 10:18pm
Gthornton

I know the real work MPG is usually below the claimed but the SD4 seems miles out, I get 21 on my Merc with varied driving and its rated at 23 on the combined.

I was also hoping for around the 40's on a combined with the Evoque but its now looking like low 30's.

crap!

Arrived: 4WD SD4 Auto, Prestige, LUX Buckingham Blue w/everything apart from rear screens.
Current/ For Sale: C63 AMG Estate.
Gone: RRS TDV8, F360, Boxster S x3, F328GTS, Caterham etc...
04-12-2011 11:10pm
D34no

One of these perhaps?

http://www.pro-bitz.com/eshop/products/d..._2469.html

I put something similar on my Alfa diesel. The power increase was incredible, but I took it off because it made the car smoke when the throttle was fully open. It also seemed to trick the ECU, in that the trip computer reported a better mpg, but getting the old calculator out showed that it actually returned the same mpg as without the "chip".

At £99 I'm not sure I'd trust it on a £45k car...
04-12-2011 11:50pm
PhilSkill

After some town and early cold morning driving my 60mph A road 40mpg has dropped to 35, I can see how a heavy right foot could make that 30mpg very quickly! only 500 miles on clock, but struggling to see how 50mpg is feasible!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
05-12-2011 12:21am
ytshome

(04-12-2011 09:41pm)cjfp Wrote:  Sounds like us manual boys r gonna be laughing all the way to the bank with those mpg's! We'll have to buy the drinks when we meet with the auto boys!

Not if philskill post is anything to go by. We may be going Dutch...ouch!

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2011 12:32am by ytshome.)
05-12-2011 12:32am
PhilSkill

And I've been changing up when the little green light tells me to like a good boy! sometimes if i'm heading up a slight incline changing up when that light comes on puts it into very low revs and a bit of a strain! Its definitely much better on the cruising in high gears accelerating chews fuel!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
05-12-2011 12:42am
Dave_T

This is without a shadow of doubt the most mis-sold car i've met yet. 50mpg my ar$e!!

I can get my D3 to do 40mpg, and it's real whole life (95k miles) average is 29.5 against an official combined figure of 30.1
my Pug 207, i can get 85mpg, but lifes too short, so for the 25k miles i've run it (waiting for the RRE!) it's averaged 60mpg against an official combined 62.8.
In every other car I've owned I have been able to at least match the combined figure.

The Evoque?

I've got a 5dr Pure SD4 Manual. official combined is 49.6?
Driven the same way as the above cars, I get 31 mpg in normal driving, and a best* of 40.1, average to date 35.1.
* in the interests of science, ie not wanting to be defeated, I drove it 30 miles starting with a hot engine, descending from about 500 ft above sea level and ending at sea level, generally flat road on cruise at 56mph apart from rolling down hills. it returned 49.2 on the trip computer. If that's what it takes to achieve 50mpg, then sod that.

Anyone want to buy a nearly new Freelander in a frock?
05-12-2011 01:01am
Straydox

(05-12-2011 12:21am)PhilSkill Wrote:  After some town and early cold morning driving my 60mph A road 40mpg has dropped to 35, I can see how a heavy right foot could make that 30mpg very quickly! only 500 miles on clock, but struggling to see how 50mpg is feasible!

Unfortunately the automotive manufacturers all have to use a standardised method of calculating fuel consumption - when you learn that it is a synthetic test indoors on a rolling road its not hard to understand that the real world results might be a bit different.

I have no prior knowledge of how LR products do in comparisons with official figures - after many years with Audi cars it seemed safe to assume that reality would be around 15% less than the claimed as an absolute minimum - I hope that with a bit of practice I might get into the low 40s.

There are a few things you can do to really help fuel economy though:

1) Put some more air in the tyres - reduces rolling resistance, if there is only you in there most of time, go half way to the fully laden pressures. I see in the LR Evoque handbook it is suggested (on page 213) that you should increase tyre pressures for cold ambient temperatures too (cold air is denser so the pressure will fall). If you over inflate you will wear the middle section of the tread surface out first Sad

2) In a manual diesel change gear early - most diesels make peak torque output at around 2000 rpm so learn to shift gear early - spinning it much past 2000 rpm just wastes fuel (but does put a grin on your chops I know!). Let all the lovely torque do the work - you will be surprised just how quick the car is doing it this way.

3) Higher speeds in something as aerodynamic as a breeze block with quite a large/bluff frontal area and a permanently engaged 4 wheel drive train will soak up energy big-time. So if you raz it down the motorway at 70+mph it will use quite a bit more fuel than at 60mph. In my current Audi A5 TDI Cabrio (it weighs the thick end of 2 tonnes) - a constant 50mph returns amazing economy a proper real world 50mpg plus - increase the speed to a constant 70 and it falls to 42-43 - speed and associated drag make a lot of difference.

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
05-12-2011 01:12am
Evoqess

A Freelander in a frock! Oh dear. I guess the important message from this thread is that new owners need to post these figures so that prospective owners realize the Evoque's true day to day mileage.

I do feel a bit sorry for you diesel folk expecting better mileage Sad
I mean, that is the why you chose the diesel right? In Canada of course, no choice - although I would have gone for the higher hP engine anyway. Diesel prices also have been more expensive than Premium petrol here lately (quite the turnaround from cheaper diesel my Smart car enjoyed in 2009).
I guess the bottom line for me is that I've bought the Evoque, a stunning piece of automotive design and engineering - and it's thirstier to drive than my Audi TTS. But it's heavier, can go off road whenever I want etc.
A trade-off, like so many in life!

If you don't like the Evoque because of it's real world economy - well, you van just FROCK off, and buy a
Freelander :coy smile emoticon here:

Couldn't resist Smile

Um, actually a quick question? Does anyone know if running heated seats, mirrors and sterering wheel reduce my economy - must right? Not just running off my battery?

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2011 01:58am by Evoqess.)
05-12-2011 01:57am