Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Range Rover or Land Rover?
FFRR

RE: Range Rover or Land Rover?

The Discovery 4 HSE is actually more expensive than the Evoque at around £50k starting price. This is a Land Rover. It's just appealing to different markets - Land Rover doesn't necessarily mean the product is inferior or cheaper.
12-07-2011 11:02pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

(12-07-2011 11:02pm)FFRR Wrote:  The Discovery 4 HSE is actually more expensive than the Evoque at around £50k starting price. This is a Land Rover. It's just appealing to different markets - Land Rover doesn't necessarily mean the product is inferior or cheaper.

Very good point.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
13-07-2011 05:59am
DynamicRRV

Yes very good point indeed.
13-07-2011 11:48am
doug

(12-07-2011 11:02pm)FFRR Wrote:  The Discovery 4 HSE is actually more expensive than the Evoque at around £50k starting price. This is a Land Rover. It's just appealing to different markets - Land Rover doesn't necessarily mean the product is inferior or cheaper.

As a owner of a Discovery HSE, i can tell you it's more expensive than any fully loaded Evoque. We went from a Audi TT to this, one extreme to the other in size wise. But with are second child on it's way, the boot of the TT was just too small. Looked at the Q7, it's just ugly.
Because of it's great off road capacity & "hall size" boot, ended up with the Discovery. Had planed on buying a year old RRS as next car. Saw the LRX & just had to have one.
tailked the wife around, with the fact of running costs (Disco @22mpg) & not having baby buggys to carry around anymore etc.
The rest is history.

What i'm saying is, it doesn't matter what car you buy, as long as it's the right choose for you & your family.
13-07-2011 03:54pm
Daigriff

What has your experience been like with LR dealership, ownership costs and actual build quality of Disco Doug.

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
13-07-2011 06:13pm
FFRR

As the owner of a FFRR 2011 Autobiography 4.4TDV8, I can tell you not to expect a lot in terms of build quality. Considering this is Land Rover's flagship model line within their flagship model, the quality of the build is very hit and miss. Have had a lot of niggles which are dealt with eventually. The external trim on the FFRR is also quite loose across the model range. Evoque is new design though so likely these will have been addressed.

Servicing costs will be high. Running costs shouldn't be too bad on the Evoque.
13-07-2011 06:32pm
doug

(13-07-2011 06:13pm)Daigriff Wrote:  What has your experience been like with LR dealership, ownership costs and actual build quality of Disco Doug.

Daigriff,
My local approved LR service centre is excellent. sadly they only do service & repairs. Buying my Evoque from out of area.

Disco not been bad, a few trim problems. The thing i did notice from owning Audi's & VW's for 15 odd years, is LR's aren't built as well or with as good materials as the German cars. I do understand that these points have been addressed at the factory now. But will have to seeConfused

Disco been called back 4 times now. which in a way is good, as LR once they find a problem get the cars back ASAP. most car companies bury there heads in the sand.
Serviceing costs from £350 - £650. Shocked

Having had Hot Hatchs,Big Salons & Sports Cars. I can say that my Disco is the "best all round" car i have ever had.

(LR is that ok! can i go to the top of the list now)Laughing
(This post was last modified: 13-07-2011 08:04pm by doug.)
13-07-2011 08:03pm
Fox

(13-07-2011 06:32pm)FFRR Wrote:  As the owner of a FFRR 2011 Autobiography 4.4TDV8, I can tell you not to expect a lot in terms of build quality. Considering this is Land Rover's flagship model line within their flagship model, the quality of the build is very hit and miss. Have had a lot of niggles which are dealt with eventually. The external trim on the FFRR is also quite loose across the model range. Evoque is new design though so likely these will have been addressed.

Remember that the Evoque is built in the same factory as the Freelanders and Jags. So build quality should be better as Jags have less problems.

The bad reputation of Land Rover's products is based on things nailed together in the Solihull factory. The Defender, Disco, RRS and FFRR are known for silly faults. The Freelander is supposed to be better.

Current: '97 Camel Trophy Defender, Skoda Yeti, Skoda VRS, Morris Minor.
Previous: 08 RR Vogue SE, 06 Vogue, 07 Defender, 05 Defender and so on.....
14-07-2011 08:35am
ant

My original post was merely asking if people would still buy the Evoque if it was badged Land Rover instead of Range Rover. The Range Rover name obviously has more "prestige". I didn't intend starting a debate about the impossibility or not of LR badging this vehicle as anything other than a RR - I merely posed a hypothetical question. In my mind it could have been marketed as the Defender replacement - obviously at a lower price with less fancy "stuff". In which case I speculated that I would have bought it anyway to replace my current Defender. I just wanted to see if others felt the same!!!
Although I'm not an industry "insider", I have owned LR products for over 27 years - 6 x Range Rovers and 1 x Defender, so I feel capable of commenting on (some) LR products. All 6 of my Range Rovers gave me faultless service (almost) for 25 years without a break. The only issues were one stuck rear electric window, one gear shifter that had to replaced and a couple of recalls to the dealer for minor fixes and software upgrades.
My Defender is 24 years old and goes anywhere I point it - admittedly, very slowly and noisily, but it gets there (and runs on Bio-Diesel too). I've always had good, helpful and friendly service from the 3 LR dealerships I've had dealings with over the years.
By contrast to that, with my BMW 7 series, I had major issues with the electrics and very little help from the dealer. That put me off, and kept me with LR.
This is probably in contrast to some others, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Summing up, I would still have an Evoque on order, even if it was badged Land Rover. I'll almost certainly be ordering the Defender replacement when it's finally unveiled (unless it's hideous). I'm hoping that the quality of the Evoque meets or exceeds my expectations.
Back to work !
ANT

Prestige, 5 dr, SD4 Auto, Firenze, Lux, Ambience, Adaptive Dynamics, (+other options).
Current cars: Evoque: 1972 Stag: 2008 C4 Grand Picasso x 2: 2004 Defender 110: LDV flatbed (for moving the Stag)
Gone: Aston Martin DB9Crying, RRS, FFRR x 5, Classic Minis x loads, 1987 Defender 110.
14-07-2011 02:29pm