Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Range Rover or Land Rover?
Sassy

RE: Range Rover or Land Rover?

Um, this car is a Land Rover. Sorry guys!

It's a derivative of one of Land Rover's models, the Range Rover.

You are buying the car from Land Rover. It's designed and manufactured by Land Rover. It's a Land Rover product.

On order: Coupe SD4 Dynamic Auto, Indus Silver, 20" Chrome Shadow Wheels, Pursuit/Lunar/Gloss Black
Current cars: BMW X3 (MK1)
Gone: Mini Cooper S
Gone: Lotus Exige
11-07-2011 02:14pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SW6RR

Sassy, I think you've made the point by missing the point. The thread is about branding and specifically whether people's willingness to buy would be changed if the silver bonnet letters read "Land Rover" instead of "Range Rover".

Posters are aware, I'm sure, that Land Rover and Range Rover are one and the same company...
11-07-2011 02:19pm
Sassy

Land Rover and Range Rover are not the 'same company'. Range Rover is a Land Rover brand. Within that brand there are (now) three models. The Range Rover, the Range Rover Sport, and the Range Rover Evoque. Land Rover has other brands too, but why would they have made the Evoque under their other Land Rover brands, when it is derived (clearly) from the other Range Rover models?

It fits perfectly within the Range Rover identity - road friendly specs, image-focused detailing, luxury interior, price point, styling cues. If it was ever to fall under, say, the Freelander model group, it would have a focus on practicality, space, durable materials, off-road hardiness etc. It would also clearly look more like a Freelander (although I accept it shares similarities with its cousin, the Evoque is clearly the son of a Range Rover).

So I don't see how it could have ever been badged as anything but a Range Rover Evoque. I like it personally because it is like a mini Range Rover - it looks like one, feels like one, and acts like one.

If I had wanted a small jeep that could happily bump through a muddy field and had a sensible wipe down interior, I would have gone for the Freelander.

Two completely separate beasts, and correctly placed within Land Rover's brand tree.

On order: Coupe SD4 Dynamic Auto, Indus Silver, 20" Chrome Shadow Wheels, Pursuit/Lunar/Gloss Black
11-07-2011 02:43pm
SW6RR

The reasons are (a) it's based on the Freelander chassis; and (b) it was branded a Land Rover in its concept days as the LRX. Hence the discussion.
11-07-2011 02:46pm
Daigriff

Sassy, as SW6RR says if it was always going to be a RNge Rover why was the LRX concept branded Land Rover? They could have easily shown Range Rover on the bonnet. I for one originally though it was going to be a LR Evoque.

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
11-07-2011 03:09pm
DynamicRRV

(11-07-2011 03:09pm)Daigriff Wrote:  Sassy, as SW6RR says if it was always going to be a RNge Rover why was the LRX concept branded Land Rover? They could have easily shown Range Rover on the bonnet. I for one originally though it was going to be a LR Evoque.

The reason is obvious,they gauged the interest in the model and soon realised the car just had to be a RR as opposed to LR for sheer profit......simple really.
11-07-2011 03:25pm
Fox

(11-07-2011 03:25pm)DynamicRRV Wrote:  The reason is obvious,they gauged the interest in the model and soon realised the car just had to be a RR as opposed to LR for sheer profit......simple really.

Spot on.

Now Range Rover is a brand, not the top model of a line up it makes perfect sense.

As a Land Rover, it would hae been viewed as just a tarted up Freelander and not worth the price. But as a "baby" Range Rover it will appeal to those that spend more money and want something more style and image driven.
"Wow, a Range Rover for only £30k!"
Why the hell else would they have got Victoria Beckham involved? Target market.

Current: '97 Camel Trophy Defender, Skoda Yeti, Skoda VRS, Morris Minor.
Previous: 08 RR Vogue SE, 06 Vogue, 07 Defender, 05 Defender and so on.....
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2011 03:37pm by Fox.)
11-07-2011 03:36pm
cjfp

Notice how Ms Beckham hasn't really been mentioned that much since the poor reception she got at the original launch (back in 1986 I believe).

Last night's TopGear was the most I've heard her mentioned ever.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2011 03:44pm by cjfp.)
11-07-2011 03:43pm
DynamicRRV

(11-07-2011 03:43pm)cjfp Wrote:  Notice how Ms Beckham hasn't really been mentioned that much since the poor reception she got at the original launch (back in 1986 I believe).

Last night's TopGear was the most I've heard her mentioned ever.

1986!!!?

Jesus the evoque is an old design then lol!

What price the Range Rover Evoque Harper 7 Limited Edition?
11-07-2011 03:48pm
Sassy

(11-07-2011 03:09pm)Daigriff Wrote:  Sassy, as SW6RR says if it was always going to be a RNge Rover why was the LRX concept branded Land Rover? They could have easily shown Range Rover on the bonnet. I for one originally though it was going to be a LR Evoque.

Well it was a concept from Land Rover so it's going to be badged Land Rover until they firm up the idea, do their market testing, and decide on the entry strategy. I think it was always going to be an indulgent, luxury product based on the Range Rover brand values, so I don't think it would have ever stood alone, or been part of the other Land Rover identities.

Personally I would have still liked it if it had been branded singularly like the Freelander etc, as I think the Evoque as it is has a strong enough image in itself to make it desirable without the Range Rover element. I think Land Rover on the whole holds plenty of kudos on the tarmac anyway, and it stands as a heritage brand with lots of upmarket and high class values even before you talk Range Rover. The Queen drives a Defender after all.

11-07-2011 05:41pm