Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Range Rover or Land Rover?
ant

Range Rover or Land Rover?

How many of us on here would still buy this vehicle if it was marketed as a Land Rover instead of a Range Rover?
The LRX was introduced as a Land Rover product.
The Evoque could very well have been released as the Defender replacement (minus all the bells, whistles and leather of course).

Since I have a Defender and intend buying it's replacement when it's released, I, for one, certainly would have ordered the Evoque as a Land Rover product. Just interested on others thoughts?
ANT LaughingCool

Prestige, 5 dr, SD4 Auto, Firenze, Lux, Ambience, Adaptive Dynamics, (+other options).
Current cars: Evoque: 1972 Stag: 2008 C4 Grand Picasso x 2: 2004 Defender 110: LDV flatbed (for moving the Stag)
Gone: Aston Martin DB9Crying, RRS, FFRR x 5, Classic Minis x loads, 1987 Defender 110.
09-07-2011 01:32pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Daigriff

RE: Range Rover or Land Rover?

Yes I would have bought if it had been badged LR. I just loved the look of the LRX and said I'd have one depite V. beckham being at the launch.

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
09-07-2011 03:26pm
cjfp

Either, though I think it does have more 'va va voom' as a RR

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
09-07-2011 03:39pm
DynamicRRV

None of you are being 100% honest are you? Would you buy a GOlf badged a Skoda or a Mini badged an MG?

We all buy what we buy in a particular model as badge snobbery if we are completely honest.

The answer for me would be " a Land Rover for £46000 ?" ....no way!
09-07-2011 03:43pm
cjfp

@dynamic - u r right, I wouldn't pay 45 for a LR, but as I am 'only' spending 36 then I don't mind - I nearly bought another FLander Sport for 34 so this purchase is v simiar.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
09-07-2011 03:56pm
vinda

I'd buy if was a land rover. As it's my first LR / RR as with most first customers we wudnt care
09-07-2011 04:17pm
Daigriff

(09-07-2011 03:43pm)DynamicRRV Wrote:  None of you are being 100% honest are you? Would you buy a GOlf badged a Skoda or a Mini badged an MG?

We all buy what we buy in a particular model as badge snobbery if we are completely honest.

The answer for me would be " a Land Rover for £46000 ?" ....no way!

I take your point to a certain extent, but I've always been the opposite. I currently own a Toyoota Landcruiser which certainly isn't mainstream or purchased because of the badge. I could have bought an X5, ML Merc or even a Disco if I wanted the pose factor.

I also once had a Mazda Xedos (which was a superb car IMO) whilst everyone else was buying a 3 series or A4!!!

So I really am not that bothered...but am new to the brand and just hope build quality and reliability meet my expectations...that's my main concern.

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
09-07-2011 04:23pm
j7david

I'd always thought that Land Rover and Range Rover were the same.

I don't know what the rest of the population of the UK think, but while I'm not massively into cars I'd say I probably know as much as the average guy.
09-07-2011 07:44pm
cobkelly

I still would have ordered if it was LR, but being RR did make the decision easier as I have always wanted a RRS but couldn't justify the mpg. I almost ordered an X3 but by chance saw the RRE in an article somewhere at the beginning of the year and was so taken by the design that I had to take a better look (as much as was possible...). If it had been badged LR the indecision between that and the X3 would have taken longer, but in the end it still would have been the RRE. And anyway, I've been driving a Citroen Nemo van for that last two years (long story) so whether LR or RR badge it was always going to be an upgrade, ha!
09-07-2011 07:56pm
ant

I think it's been the best decision by Land Rover to badge the Evoqueas a Range Rover. I'm sure that if it had been marketed as a Land Rover, then the pricing would have been different and it would have been specc'ed accordingly - no leather, no expensive ICE, no fancy suspension, etc etc. So I would say it would have been priced 18k to 32k as a Defender, but it's 28k to 46k as a Range Rover.
As some have said, they wouldn't pay 46k for a Land Rover and there is definitely badge snobbery evident which is human nature.

@j7david - Land Rover owns the brand name Range Rover. Range Rovers have always been marketed as Land Rover Range Rovers, but now it's a separate brand altogether.

Interesting stuff - thanks for your replies.
ANT

Prestige, 5 dr, SD4 Auto, Firenze, Lux, Ambience, Adaptive Dynamics, (+other options).
Current cars: Evoque: 1972 Stag: 2008 C4 Grand Picasso x 2: 2004 Defender 110: LDV flatbed (for moving the Stag)
Gone: Aston Martin DB9Crying, RRS, FFRR x 5, Classic Minis x loads, 1987 Defender 110.
10-07-2011 12:00pm