Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
RT(F)M.......
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RT(F)M.......

I've just been reading the online owners manual and this car has a heap of techy things that are not yet available on other Land/Range Rovers.
Variable speed intermittent rear wipe for instance is not currently available on FFRR's or RRS, the last LR I had with that was a Disco2.
Then LR has taken a leaf out of Audi's tech range and now things do not go all dim/dark at night if you wash the front screen and have the headlamp washers - RRE does it Audi style - one lamp at a time.
From the manual "Note: The headlamps are washed alternately to prevent the washer fluid from reducing the light output from both headlamps simultaneously."
How about a winter park setting for the screen wipers? Yes you can set them so that they park higher than normal so you can lift them off the screen overnight. LR has yet to connect the outside temperature gauge to the auto-on wipers though so that when the front screen is covered in ice and you have forgotten to disable the auto-on wipers your wiper will not sweep the screen and (like has happened to one of my cars) scratch the screen.
A pre-delivery read of the manual is essential if you want to find all the little uncrowed about things LR has incorporated into the car. Also some of the things that can be dealer activated (for a fee of about £100 a pop from experience!)

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
07-08-2011 05:46pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blackseries

RE: RT(F)M.......

(07-08-2011 05:46pm)FullFatTim Wrote:  Also some of the things that can be dealer activated (for a fee of about £100 a pop from experience!)

Are there any nuggets in there that are from your experience worth activating?

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
07-08-2011 06:09pm
XFullFatTim

Haven't found anything I would pay to have activated yet! Winter Parking for the wipers is a dealer enabled facility though. Some of these things can be done by yourself if you have Autologic or whatever it is called

Just re-read the wipers section and the intermittent rear wipe is dealer enabled, not standard fit, I might pay extra for that

The rear windows in the 5 door have a one shot, short drop feature that will lower the window a fraction to allow rear seat passengers to have extra ventilation without having to open the window fully.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2011 06:20pm by XFullFatTim.)
07-08-2011 06:13pm
V8M3

The Evoque just gets better & better!

Let’s hope all these gadgets don't see us all queuing at the dealers with software bugs and camera faults which plagued the FFRR.

Mini Cooper 2.0 SD
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2011 06:20pm by V8M3.)
07-08-2011 06:19pm
mark_n

For the life of me, I cannot understand why some features are dealer-only. If things cannot be changed for legislative reasons, fine, but the car knows which country it's been made for so everything else should be within the user domain.

Other nice tricks - press both left and right mirror selector buttons together to fold them in or out; wave a hand under the interior lights to switch them on; rear wiper wipes rear screen when you select reverse and front wipers are on; extra delayed wipe in the wash wipe cycle to clear the drips.

It's all down to software written with the ability to determine its environment. Pity the TPMS is total c**p then.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2011 06:30pm by mark_n.)
07-08-2011 06:30pm
XFullFatTim

Mark, the mirror trick and the reverse wipe have been available on Land and Range Rovers for a while, at least since 2005.
One carry over from Jaguar is that in the auto, when you select D the Electronic Parking Brake is also released - with LR/RR's other models with EPB's you just drive off and they release (most of the time anyway!)
The reason for dealer enabled items.............. to earn more dosh from you as they want £100 for each enablement and they claim to need your car for a whole day too!

(This post was last modified: 07-08-2011 06:42pm by XFullFatTim.)
07-08-2011 06:39pm
XFullFatTim

Now I read that auto folding mirrors are dealer enabled and not standard............... that is mirrors that fold when you lock the car

07-08-2011 07:39pm
LP

Tim - you inspired me to dig out the manual.

Interesting to read that condensation in the headlamps is 'a feature' (page 40). My father used to own a 1995 discovery that regularly had a headlamp a quarter full of water. Good to read that the Evoque will retain this 'feature'.
07-08-2011 07:59pm
XFullFatTim

Current FFRR's also do it

07-08-2011 07:59pm
LP

Amazed they aren't a sealed unit.
07-08-2011 08:07pm