Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Proximity Sensors
WorldTraveler

Proximity Sensors

Got a weird one here, when pulling up to a wall (or similar solid structure) my front proximity sensors don't "beep", if I put the car into reverse they scream like banshees !!

Can has not been in for a service of anything since April and this has just started to fail, no mud or dirt on the sensors either.

Delivered 31st March 2012
Pure, 5 Door, TD4, Manual, Firenze Red, Tech Pack, Front Fogs, Xenon, Pano Roof

Track Consumption Using The Site Below
[Image: 117709.png]
(This post was last modified: 26-11-2013 01:28pm by WorldTraveler.)
26-11-2013 01:27pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BFGEvoqueMan

RE: Proximity Sensors

(26-11-2013 01:27pm)WorldTraveler Wrote:  Got a weird one here, when pulling up to a wall (or similar solid structure) my front proximity sensors don't "beep", if I put the car into reverse they scream like banshees !!

Can has not been in for a service of anything since April and this has just started to fail, no mud or dirt on the sensors either.

I assume you mean the front parking sensors or a normal system (not self parking)? If you want to activate the system then you need to come to a stop, select reverse for all the sensors, or press the "P" button next to the touchscreen just to activate the front ones. The front sensors will then be active for you as you go forward to the obstruction.Very Happy

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
26-11-2013 01:32pm
PhilSkill

Yep, they don't activate automatically when just going forwards... always been like that.

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Parking-s...ng+sensors

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
26-11-2013 02:47pm
WorldTraveler

So what you're saying is then when pulling into a parking bay, one should drive in util the last meter, select reverse (or push a button), then select 1st gear and drive in ? - RRE Most technology advance vehicle on the road Smile

Delivered 31st March 2012
Pure, 5 Door, TD4, Manual, Firenze Red, Tech Pack, Front Fogs, Xenon, Pano Roof

Track Consumption Using The Site Below
[Image: 117709.png]
26-11-2013 03:21pm
cjfp

(26-11-2013 03:21pm)WorldTraveler Wrote:  So what you're saying is then when pulling into a parking bay, one should drive in util the last meter, select reverse (or push a button), then select 1st gear and drive in ? - RRE Most technology advance vehicle on the road Smile

RR decided to do it this way so that the front sensors didn't keep going off when sitting in traffic. You can make a list of Pros and Cons for both default on and default off - you're always going to get people who think it would be better than the default chosen (however, RR should have given us, the user, the choice of default)

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
26-11-2013 03:34pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The other reason for de-activating the front sensors is so they don't continually go off when you are offroad. Mine used to go off if a pedestrian walked close to the front of the car if stopped at the traffic lights in town

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
26-11-2013 03:42pm
MarkA_

Proximity Sensors

Having front sensors on all the time would be infuriating!

Bmw works like this too. Fronts are off until you go into reverse or press the P))) button.

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
26-11-2013 04:25pm
BFGEvoqueMan

(26-11-2013 03:21pm)WorldTraveler Wrote:  So what you're saying is then when pulling into a parking bay, one should drive in util the last meter, select reverse (or push a button), then select 1st gear and drive in ? - RRE Most technology advance vehicle on the road Smile

Yep - Just the same in the BMW's I have driven and is exactly the same in my MercQuestion

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
(This post was last modified: 26-11-2013 06:22pm by BFGEvoqueMan.)
26-11-2013 06:21pm
MarkA_

Proximity Sensors

Or buy a new MY14 with perpendicular park assist and use that. It will turn on her sensors for you Wink

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
(This post was last modified: 26-11-2013 07:14pm by MarkA_.)
26-11-2013 07:14pm
mpw

This fooled my when I was first using my Evoque. As I had come from 12 years of Mercedes cars I had grown use to their system and thought LRs method was not the best. After a couple of years I still think the same but have got used to LRs way of doing it.

Personally, I think a better system is: on-screen or in-dashboard warning appear for either forward or reverse (i.e. single yellow coloured bar moving through two, three, four, etc. bars to say, six bars with the last two in red) while an audible warning comes in when red bars reached which indicates your getting (too) close. This would then always be 'on', if cars or obstacles or pedestrians were close there would be a visual warning and if too close an audible warning as well. Or perhaps I'm still in love with the Mercedes method!
27-11-2013 12:59pm