Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Proper competition - Porsche Macan
mark_n

RE: Proper competition - Porsche Macan

Keep in mind the cheapest Porsche is more expensive than the most expensive Evoque and then spec the car up to the Evoque's equipment level and the Porsche will seem quite poor value in comparison. A hot RRE is what is needed to compete.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
17-02-2012 07:53am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chiggy

(16-02-2012 05:43pm)mark_n Wrote:  Cajun was always a code name for "CAyenne JUNior" and who knows why it was dumped; maybe the name is already registered with someone else.

It will certainly give the Evoque a run for its money, will be built in Leipzig and I expect the biggest seller will be an Audi-derived diesel version. If LR want to compete against it, the Evoque is going to have to evolve into higher performance (power, road-holding) versions.

As for the styling, the front looks very Cayenne-esque and the hard points in the Q5 underpinnings will mean they will look disconcertingly similar, it cannot possible have the freshness of the Evoque design. Add to the that the latest blingey interior designs of the Panamera, 911 and Boxster and I'm not getting very excited.

Or maybe Cajun was just crossing the line in terms of ridiculous names for a car...

Dont think anyone would take you seriously if you told them you drive something called a Cajun... even if it is a Porsche.

Evoque Round 2: Fuji Si4 Dynamic - 5dr. Pursuit interior. Dynamic Tech Pack. Adaptive Xenons. 19in Standard Alloy wheels. Twisted Evil
Contrast black roof (to be painted soon). (Previously a Firenze Pure owner - still my favourite colour Wink)
17-02-2012 08:04am
ami_evo

Competition is never a bad thing, JLR would do well to release some more powerful versions of the Evoque as I'm fairly sure Porsche will offer V6 engines in different guises for its upcoming SUV. I was hoping higher hp versions of the Evoque wouldn't use the 2.0 turbocharged engine, but speculation seems to be centered around it. A V6 would have been more appropiate imo, in both diesel and petrol versions of the RRE. V6 Supercharged for top of the line Evoque would fit in well, a 2.0 turbo won't do it for some.
17-02-2012 09:18am
WB
WB

Looks great but sounds like its many many years away...
17-02-2012 09:54am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

One problem for Land Rover is that it is already partnered with a makers of "sports salons" - Jaguar and making a high performance Landy could be seen to be trampling on Jaguar's toes. The rumoured forth coming 4WD XF Estate will not be competition for any LR product even if it has a huge amount of LR input into the technical side. A red hot Evoque would be a direct competitor to the new small sports car that Jaguar are developing, the C-X16 (sounds rather like a Citroen doesn't it!).
Under Ford's ownership LR developed a WRC Freelander1 with a turbo charged V6 engine, unfortunately Ford didn't take it any further than allowing to run as a support vehicle.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 17-02-2012 10:15am by XFullFatTim.)
17-02-2012 10:13am
Token

(17-02-2012 08:04am)chiggy Wrote:  Or maybe Cajun was just crossing the line in terms of ridiculous names for a car...

Dont think anyone would take you seriously if you told them you drive something called a Cajun... even if it is a Porsche.

Hmmm...whereas Macan just rolls off the tongue...

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
17-02-2012 03:45pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Sounds like something the advertising dept at VW/Audi came up with but it isn't, there is such a word according to wikipedia
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/macan
So we can look forward to the Porsche Sonny, Laddie or small boy then.............. Nissan eat your heart out!LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
But I expect the Porche naming dept were thinking more along the lines of Tomcat (already taken by Rover Group) or Tiger (owned by Chrysler)

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 17-02-2012 03:58pm by XFullFatTim.)
17-02-2012 03:52pm
Sarcastrix

Some updated pics:

Apart from the headlamps & tail light covers, this is the new Macan.

The overall exterior styling is very close to the Cayenne but the Macan is smaller in size and features a swoopier roofline.

The Macan shares its platform architecture with the Audi Q5, which means its key dimensions will be similar to Ingolstadt's crossover model. The two models will also share key hardware components such as petrol and diesel engines, steering, transmission, axles and even Audi's Quattro four-wheel-drive with Porsche developing its own braking, suspension and dynamic control systems to provide sportier handling characteristics.

Porsche has confirmed that the Cayenne's baby brother will begin production at its Leipzig facility in Germany next year.

[Image: Global-images-2012-5-9-Porsche-Macan-01.jpg]

[Image: Global-images-2012-5-9-Porsche-Macan-02.jpg]

[Image: Global-images-2012-5-9-Porsche-Macan-03.jpg]

[Image: Global-images-2012-5-9-Porsche-Macan-04.jpg]

[Image: Global-images-2012-5-9-Porsche-Macan-05.jpg]

[Image: Global-images-2012-5-9-Porsche-Macan-06.jpg]

[Image: Global-images-2012-5-9-Porsche-Macan-07.jpg]

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
10-05-2012 09:43am
normangt

Proper competition - Porsche Macan

Maybe should be called Porsche Panther to compete with Jaguar
10-05-2012 09:52am
Straydox

Given that Porsche are capable of producing some gorgeous looking vehicles (i love that Panamera), the Macan is very dull indeed.

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
10-05-2012 10:07am