Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Auxiliary heater as standard?
PAT

Auxiliary heater as standard?

From reading the online Owners Handbook I can see it references the 'Auxiliary heater' but does anyone know if it is standard on all RRE variations?

Another forum state that it is standard equipment but I can't find it listed on any official RRE standard equipment list.

Current: Si4 - HSE Dynamic Lux - Corris Grey with Black Pano - Adaptive Dynamics - ATPC - Adaptive LED Headlights - Privacy Glass - Style 508's - Heated Steering Wheel - Spare Wheel - Ebony Headlining
Previous: Si4 - Dynamic 5 Door - Lux - Orkney Grey with Black Pano
24-08-2011 01:29pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Auxiliary heater as standard?

Pat I think what you are referring to is Park Heat. Don't bother, it's a waste of time/money. I have it on my FFRR and last winter in deeply minus temperatures the park heat barely warmed the interior in the 30 minute cycle (now reduced by LR to 20 minutes due to many many flattened batteries on 2011MY FFRR's last winter)
Better spend the money on heated seats and heated steering wheel. Also RRE has a new type of interior that doesn't need engine heat to heat the cabin, it uses a peizo-electric heater which will warm up much more quickly.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
24-08-2011 03:11pm
KaDargo

(24-08-2011 03:11pm)FullFatTim Wrote:  Pat I think what you are referring to is Park Heat. Don't bother, it's a waste of time/money. I have it on my FFRR and last winter in deeply minus temperatures the park heat barely warmed the interior in the 30 minute cycle (now reduced by LR to 20 minutes due to many many flattened batteries on 2011MY FFRR's last winter)
Better spend the money on heated seats and heated steering wheel. Also RRE has a new type of interior that doesn't need engine heat to heat the cabin, it uses a peizo-electric heater which will warm up much more quickly.

Is this true ?

SD4 Prestige, Mauritius, Element, Cirrus Headlining, Pana Roof, Park Assist, Heated Steering Wheel,Blind Spot monitor, 20" Alloys, Powered Tailgate
24-08-2011 04:28pm
XFullFatTim

This is the heater system that the Evoque has http://www.dbk-usa.com/heating-products/ptc-heaters
Sorry it isn't Peixzo electric it is Postive Temperature Coefficient heating - I believe that some VW's have it too

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 24-08-2011 04:36pm by XFullFatTim.)
24-08-2011 04:35pm
PAT

It was on page 2 and 3 in the pdf document (19. Heating and ventilation.pdf) on the below link that had me wondering.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5968579/evoque_m.../index.htm

It mentions the 'Timed Climate' and 'Auxiliary Heater' so I assume the Timed Climate uses the Postive Temperature Coefficient heating method that FullFatTim has referred to.

TIMED CLIMATE
Timed climate can provide a comfortable
temperature inside the cabin in advance of
driver and passenger entering. Dependent on
the external temperature, the system either
draws in fresh air to cool the cabin or operates
an auxiliary heater to warm it. Timed climate is
controlled from the touch screen or from a
remote control.
24-08-2011 05:00pm
XFullFatTim

Pat further on, on page 3
Quote:AUXILIARY HEATER
Your vehicle may be fitted with an auxiliary heater which is powered by fuel drawn from the vehicle's tank. The heater operates only at low ambient temperatures and is controlled by the Timed climate control system or the heater remote control.
When the heater is operating exhaust fumes from the heater may be visible under the front of the vehicle. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
The auxiliary heater is also operated to warm the engine and aid starting in very cold conditions.

I think what you are looking for is what is otherwise called the Fuel Burning Heater (FBH) which is an optional extra. I believe that Peter Bell at BAS (forum sponsor) is also working on a system

(This post was last modified: 24-08-2011 05:14pm by XFullFatTim.)
24-08-2011 05:14pm
BFGEvoqueMan

The auxillary heater comes in two forms. As standard there is an electrical heater that provides warm air into the cablin before the engine is warm, as a modern diesel is very thermally efficient it can take a while to get warmth into the heater matrix. This is sometimes known as the a PTC (Positive Thermal Coefficent) heater and essentially is a bit like an kettle element that warms up the air going into the car.

The auxillary heater in the handbook with programmable timer is a webasto type heater powered by fuel from the fuel tank and is only availble on LHD cars (as with the FL2) due to where it can be fitted in the engine bay.

Trust this will clear up any confusionVery Happy

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
(This post was last modified: 25-08-2011 08:38am by BFGEvoqueMan.)
25-08-2011 08:32am