Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Private Reg Plates.
ED209

RE: Private Reg Plates.

(03-04-2012 04:12pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I have a single letter, single digit plate on retention - it's too expensive to insure it for day to day use, I didn't buy it I inherited it and it has been in our family for many many years. I have another one on retention that is in the current style and have been offered £10,000 for it (stupidly I didn't sell it there and then to the person prepared to pay that much)

Does a private plate cost more to insure? seems crazy! it hardly increases accident risk.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
03-04-2012 04:51pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

It depends what the plate is ED. Single letter/Single digit ones are the earliest issued, highly desired and can be (mine is )worth more than the car! F1 was sold a couple of years ago for IIRC £1,000,000. My current style "cherished" plate isn't insured as basically it's only worth £250. I would love to know how much LR1 that belongs to LR is worth, same for AMV8 and RR1. Paul Daniel's MAG 1C and Michael Winner's F1 LMS are also worth a fortune and will also be insured.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 05:03pm by XFullFatTim.)
03-04-2012 04:54pm
Token

Ok..realise I am clearly missing something very basic here...but what the heck do they need to be insured against???

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
03-04-2012 05:44pm
XFullFatTim

Theft - once gone they are gone, especially if the Document of entitlement is also stolen with them.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
03-04-2012 05:53pm
ED209

(03-04-2012 05:53pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Theft - once gone they are gone, especially if the Document of entitlement is also stolen with them.

Thats like worring about buying an expensive car in case someone nicks the car and then the log book later on. The actual plate on the car is just a piece of plastic, no more no less.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
03-04-2012 05:57pm
XFullFatTim

Yes that's right, I have the paperwork that entitles ownership insured against theft on advice after having had my house broken into 2 years ago to get the keys of my last FFRR (the keys were not in the house fortunately, neither was any of the paperwork as I don't leave any documents of value at home when I'm away). Range Rovers, RRS's and Discos are highly sought after by scum, as are all the papers that go with the car.

03-04-2012 06:32pm
Token

So why not just store the documentation securely with the bank or solicitors and then wear the plate with pride??

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
03-04-2012 08:21pm
WB
WB

The document itself isn't worth anything and does not carry the 'ownership'. The dvla has a record and the certificate can only be issued the the certificate purchaser and sent to the registered address. Replacements are free from the dvla.

Tim, the only way to secure your valuable plate properly if it's not your name on the certificate is actually to put it on a car registered in your name - that is the only way legal ownership transfers from the name on the certificate to a new 'owner'.
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 08:53pm by WB.)
03-04-2012 08:48pm
XFullFatTim

I'm learning a whole load of new things here that will probably save me a fortune. The wonders of the internet and forums. I actually don't want to use the plate on a car because it looks quite silly having a tiny plate on an area designed for a standard plate on a small car - little plates look much better on limos and FFRR's not baby sized cars IMHO, I see a FFRR with the plate M4 around here and it looks totally lost on a huge yellow rear plate. I did ask somebody recently (WB I think) about selling plates through an agent and if I need the money then I will sell the plate along with another I have been trying to sell for a while.

03-04-2012 10:38pm
WB
WB

(03-04-2012 10:38pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I'm learning a whole load of new things here that will probably save me a fortune. The wonders of the internet and forums. I actually don't want to use the plate on a car because it looks quite silly having a tiny plate on an area designed for a standard plate on a small car - little plates look much better on limos and FFRR's not baby sized cars IMHO, I see a FFRR with the plate M4 around here and it looks totally lost on a huge yellow rear plate. I did ask somebody recently (WB I think) about selling plates through an agent and if I need the money then I will sell the plate along with another I have been trying to sell for a while.

Worth giving the DVLA a call to confirm the situation with your particular certificates as from my experience there is no need to insure the paperwork despite the insurer's willingness to take your money Wink
04-04-2012 01:46pm