Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Premium or regular diesel?
Emiel

Premium or regular diesel?

Tomorrow I will collect my Evoque from the dealer. Hopefully with a full tank Wink

However, there will be a time that I have to refuel. I am wondering what kind of diesel other forum readers are going to use in their Evoque?

Will it be the premium diesel, like Shell V-Power of BP Ultimate, or just the regular?

The price of premium diesel is a bit higher than regular, and in many press releases is stated that there is no difference between regular and premium.
On the other hand in Wikipedia is written:

“V-Power Diesel is Shell's version of an enhanced diesel fuel similar, say to BP 'Ultimate Diesel'. Like BP Ultimate Diesel, Shell V-Power Diesel is designed for modern compression-ignition diesel engines, to facilitate enhanced engine performance along with increased engine protection, for more consistent operation and engine longevity.

And in the handbook Evoque is written:

“Use only high quality diesel fuel according to EN590 or equivalent.”

So any suggestions with what kind of diesel I should fill her up?

Arrived 24th Feb 2012
SD4 - 5 door Prestige, Fuji white, Vibe theme, Privacy glass (dealer fitted), Panoramic roof, Prestige Tech Pack, Cold Climate Pack,
Surround Cams, Dual Screen, Keyless Entry, Dimming Rear view mirror, xenon headlamps, 19" Wheels/style 4 + Spare wheel.
23-02-2012 04:28pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Premium or regular diesel?

Regular diesel works just fine! I always used to buy "supermarket" forecourt diesel as it was somewhat cheaper but when I was running TDv8 RRS's and FFRR's I found that the engine performed so much better on Shell and BP the additional cost using them was completely outweighed by the better lt/100km - MPG I got. I have never bothered with the V-Power/BP Ultimate higher octane version though and since last september my RRE has run on nothing but branded diesel (Shell/BP or Jet).

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 23-02-2012 04:34pm by XFullFatTim.)
23-02-2012 04:33pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rchrdleigh

Having had a recent experience of BP diesel emulsifying in the cold I'll not be rushing to use it again as I don't want a repeat of reduced engine performance on the motorway.
23-02-2012 04:48pm
XFullFatTim

Sounds like it was not winter formula and formed wax. A friend of mine has had terrible problems with emulsifying diesel in his wife's Audi A3 cabrio, it was nothing to do with the brand of fuel it was a problem with design fault where water was able to get into the tank through a breather in wet weather. Audi denied there was a problem and he had to point out to them that it didn't matter which brand of fuel they brought or where they brought it they still had a problem.............. a bit like Evoque's not having any documented rattles. Thanks to an owner's forum he found out about the problem, confronted Audi and now has an Evoque on order to replace the A3 that will not do more than 200 miles without conking out because of emulsified diesel!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
23-02-2012 05:38pm
Evo-king

I've used Millers Diesel Power Sport before, on a brand new Lexus 220d, because it had known injector problems, I never had a problem with the car like other owners did.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
23-02-2012 09:47pm
XFullFatTim

That is a Cetane enhancer and I used it for a while for my defender, made a huge difference to engine's smoothness and emissions. Ran the whole bottle through over 5-6 tankfulls and haven't used it since as the car is still running smoothly and relatively quietly (they aren't known as deafeners for nothing!)

24-02-2012 10:50am
BFGEvoqueMan

I had an ML420 CDI a few years back and it made no difference what diesel went in it; it went just as fast and made no difference to the economy. Until about two years ago you could get 91 Oct unleaded here in Germany an we always filled our SLK 200K on it; never made one jot of noticable difference over putting in 95 or 100 Octane, since the engine management system does it thing with the timing to compensate for the octane.

I am sure in laboratory conditions over thousands of miles there is a small percentage benefit in economy or power, but not for an extra €0.15 per litre premium. Stick with normal diesel you will be fine. Diesel "waxing-up" because its cold is another issue, which I thought was a thing of the past since about the mid 1990's when fuel companies put additives in the fuel to stop it from happening?

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
24-02-2012 11:19am
dandavis1

Collect with a full tank?! Good luck. Mine had £20 worth in it.
24-02-2012 11:23am
Claud

I use Esso diesel, best stuff according to What Car test:

Also check this test out on premium fuels - some benefits, but don't appear to be economic considering the extra cost compared with performance improvement. Although there are other less tangible benefits.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/are-supe...sh-/256405

[Image: 118733.png]
2013 Discovery HSE Luxury Corris Grey
Sold - 2011 Evoque SD4 Prestige, Auto, Magnaride, Orkney Grey, Lux Pack, TPMS, Heated Steering Wheel
2010 Freelander SD4
1997 Defender 90 XD Wolf (ex Ghurkas)
1991 Defender County 110 V8
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance
(This post was last modified: 24-02-2012 08:49pm by Claud.)
24-02-2012 08:42pm
BobM

Ive spent a couple of days down at the Grangemouth refinery which supplies most of Scotland's diesel. All the tankers fill up at the same depot from the same gigantic tanks. I do know that in the past some suppliers put additives into the tankers as they were being filled or when filled. Anyhow, by the time I find a non supermarket filling station in and around Alloa, the benefits/savings would have been more than wiped out so not really worth the bother.

Pure, SD4, Auto, 5 door, Firenze Red, Ebony/Ebony, privacy, rear camera, front sensors, fog lights, spare wheel, auto lights and wipers - Delivered 14.3.15 Very Happy

Gone but not forgotten - Old rattly 1.3.12 - 31.5.13 - Pure, SD4, manual, 5 door, Fuji, 19" style 4, ebony/ebony, spare wheel, privacy.
(This post was last modified: 25-02-2012 03:46pm by BobM.)
25-02-2012 03:43pm