Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Powered tailgate a gimmick?
smayo

I've seen a lot of people saying these are the really good, but I have just got back from holiday (only saw 4 Evoques in over 2000 miles of driving) where I had a powered tailgate on the hire car.
What I felt from using it was that the time when you really needed it was when it was the least useful.
Let me explain...

When I was fully loaded up with suitcases hand luggage etc, was when I really would have liked the boot to power open on my approach so that I could load everything straight in, but because of being fully laden, I would have to get to the car, put some stuff down on the floor, and after pressing the remote wait patiently for the boot to open. I could have done this quicker myself manually, and with the UK climate it would undoubtedly be raining when I would be in this situation if I had ordered it on my Evoque.
I also worried when it powered open in car parks with low ceilings.

Just wondered what other peoples thoughts on this were, but also glad I didn't spec it now as well.

Ordered 17/2/12 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Mauritius Blue, Pan roof, 20" style 6 (gloss black), Vortex, Ebony Headlining, Ent Pack, Heated St. Wheel, Homelink, Pr Glass, Auto Dim r.view mirror, spare wheel
17-06-2012 03:52pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3V0QU3

I love my powered tailgate. Most days when I get home from work i can press the button before I get out of the car, then pick up my laptop and tap the button to close it whilst I walk off. No more dirty hands from touching the dirty boot.

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige Lux + AD + Black Roof Lining + Heated Steering Wheel
Arrived 27/03/12
Very Happy
17-06-2012 04:36pm
xxxx5

RE: Powered tailgate a gimmick?

(17-06-2012 04:36pm)3V0QU3 Wrote:  I love my powered tailgate. Most days when I get home from work i can press the button before I get out of the car, then pick up my laptop and tap the button to close it whilst I walk off. No more dirty hands from touching the dirty boot.

+1, it is one of those options and I will need to spec on my next car and the next etc. Really useful.

Now Sold: 5dr Pure SD4 Man / Fuji White / Pano Roof / Tech Park / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Xenons / Black H'lining / Power Fold Door Mirrors / Power Tailgate / Carpet Mats / Front Fogs.
17-06-2012 04:39pm
IKM

(17-06-2012 04:36pm)3V0QU3 Wrote:  I love my powered tailgate. Most days when I get home from work i can press the button before I get out of the car, then pick up my laptop and tap the button to close it whilst I walk off. No more dirty hands from touching the dirty boot.
+2, always end up with dirt from the Freelander tailgate, so glad it's powered on Evoque.

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
17-06-2012 05:21pm
smayo

Don't get me wrong, I do think it is at least a little bit useful, and perhaps the hire car I had was just slow in opening/closing, but the fact that when you would find it most useful (i.e. with your hands full in the pouring rain), was when it became the least useful thing to have.

I'm glad that at least I have had a chance to try a car with it, so for my own personal peace of mind I won't keep wondering if I should have added it as an option.

I don't mind getting my hands a little bit dirty opening the boot Laughing

Ordered 17/2/12 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Mauritius Blue, Pan roof, 20" style 6 (gloss black), Vortex, Ebony Headlining, Ent Pack, Heated St. Wheel, Homelink, Pr Glass, Auto Dim r.view mirror, spare wheel
(This post was last modified: 17-06-2012 06:45pm by smayo.)
17-06-2012 06:44pm
Sensorian

I scratched the boot last week after opening my powered tailgate in an NCP car Park. There was enough clearance apart from a pipe that ran along the roof. It was this pipe that scratched the car. I'm glad I got it as an option but I really should have been more careful in judging the roof height including the pipe.

Dynamic Barolo Black, Black interior, Panoramic roof, plus pack, style 6 wheels, Meridian upgrade
17-06-2012 08:08pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Fr the situations described of having full arms and needing to put stuff down before pressing the button, Ford has the answer already. A foot/ leg operated sensor under the rear valance of the car. Not sure if it is the new Focus or the version of their Freelander that has it as an option. Won't be long before everybody is fitting them I expect

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
17-06-2012 09:24pm
ChuckieB

Wouldn't be without it now. So much more inclined to put stuff in the boot than dump it on the back seats!

The other half has a bad back/neck so it saves hassle for her as well.

However it's back into the dealer tomorrow to be checked under warranty as it often stops when part opened! Of course it won't happen when they get it in but fortunately I have plenty of photographic evidence! As the tailgate is slightly misaligned I think this could be hindering the mechanism? So not all good news with these added optionsSad

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
17-06-2012 09:30pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Have you tried resetting the limit setting to see if you haven't accidentally reset it at some time?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 17-06-2012 09:44pm by XFullFatTim.)
17-06-2012 09:43pm
ChuckieB

(17-06-2012 09:43pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Have you tried resetting the limit setting to see if you haven't accidentally reset it at some time?

Thx. it's totally random when it does it but when it does it's always about 18" after it starts to open. Could be something to do with the safety mechanism?

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
17-06-2012 09:47pm