Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Poor Shifting from 1st to 2nd
michail1

Purchased mine 2 years ago (actually longer cause it took 5 months to get it after I ordered it).
If it were not for the following issue, I would absolutely love the car.....

I hate the way it shifts from 1st to 2nd.
From a Stop to Go (accelerate normal - not thumping the gas), it does this (hard to explain)...
It shifts a little harder (sometimes even clunks (rarely)).
My car - Tach goes up to 3000, engine decides to shift (releases first), tach continues to go up to 3100-3200, then goes into 2nd as the tach drops to about 2200. (From 2nd to 3rd is smooth, but happens before it should)
Normal car - Tach goes up to 3000, engine decides to shift (releases first), then goes into 2nd slightly after the tach drops to about 2200.

With my car, I am in 3rd or 4th gear by the time I get to 35mph.

In sport mode, it does the same.

Manual mode: If while sitting at a stop, I click the paddle to put in 2nd and then accelerate, then it is normal (because there is no shift from 1st to 2nd) - Would be nice just to disable 1st gear.

Dealership - I bring it in for the complaint. Get a loaner. Next day, they say they test drove and nothing. I asked what they did. The idiot said they went on the freeway for 15 mins and couldn't replicate. Ok morons, the complaint is from 1st to 2nd - Why drive on the freeway? I ask if they will drive with me. Go back, and test drive, and able to replicate (this is not a random issue - does it all the time). Mechanic first says it is normal. I tell him the loaner doesn't do it, the original car I test drove doesn't do it. So, we use the sales man car (same) and it doesn't do it. He then admits it's an issue and they have to put in a request to Tata Motors. Wait another hour for them to clear the computers (they said multiple computers and why it took another hour waiting).

Dealership - Another month or two later I bring it in for the doom light touch not working AND the accel issue still. This time a jaguar for loaner. Same transmission, but it works perfect as well. They hook up to computer and record whatever to send in to Tata. They claim Tata said the numbers are normal. They claim it's simply a nueonce of my particular car - Sucks when they can't determine why it is diff than all others so they say it's just my cars personality. I seriously offered to trade straight across for the loaner jaguar. The idiot said that my car was used to which I replied the 'loaner' is also used. Obviously I got no where. They said they updated the software and cleared the computer again.

Since the car seems to accelerate perfectly while starting from 2nd gear, what's the difference? And, is there a way to lock out 1st gear?

Getting upset about the car just writing about this.

PS. First thing in the morning, when I start it and drive off, it seems it doesn't know how to accelerate or bad fuel or needs an enama since shifting is bad. Only for about the first minute of driving. Dealership said that I should start it and let it idle for 5 minutes. I said, do you realize how stupid that sentence just sounded. Who on Earth spends this kind of money on a brand new car and expects to have to let it sit at idle for 5 minutes before driving off. I said this is not my 1966 Mustang where you expect such a line.

I use 76 Premium Fuel at all times.

Thoughts?
25-07-2015 04:13pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mstraka

RE: Poor Shifting from 1st to 2nd

On my 2013 Evoque 2nd gear is the default position when starting from a stop, both in "D" and "S" position. 1st gear is extra low and is selected from the downshift paddle when in normal driving mode. Its used for off road and trail conditions.
(This post was last modified: 25-07-2015 06:41pm by mstraka.)
25-07-2015 06:40pm
michail1

(25-07-2015 06:40pm)mstraka Wrote:  On my 2013 Evoque 2nd gear is the default position when starting from a stop, both in "D" and "S" position. 1st gear is extra low and is selected from the downshift paddle when in normal driving mode. Its used for off road and trail conditions.

Ok, then somehow, mine is set to start on 1st gear. How do I set it to the default?

If it were not for this single main issue, I would absolutely love my car.
26-07-2015 08:07pm
mstraka

(26-07-2015 08:07pm)michail1 Wrote:  Ok, then somehow, mine is set to start on 1st gear. How do I set it to the default?

If it were not for this single main issue, I would absolutely love my car.

Maybe as simple as this? Are you in one of the special "terrain response" modes explained in the owner's manual? If so go back to the default general mode. If not this, switch to sport mode "S" and use the paddle shifters to upshift and downshift. Your instrument display will tell you what gear number your in. When you come to a stop the car should put itself in 2nd and remain there when you start to accelerate until you manually upshift with the upshift paddle. Then turn the Dial indicator to "D" and use the paddles again. In "D" the car doesn't stay in the paddle shifter mode for long before it switches back to the non paddle mode and you have to paddle upshift to restore the paddle operation.
(This post was last modified: 27-07-2015 12:59pm by mstraka.)
27-07-2015 12:55pm
sorcerer

With the 9 speed auto here in the UK there were software updates released.
I am guessing you have the 6 speed auto?? Maybe software updates have been applied??
I don't know if any of the various Q425, Q450, (now Q500) updates applied in your country, but here in the UK several of us had them applied to our 9 speed Evoques and then the car would pull away in first gear.
Some did not like this, but I actually preferred it to the sluggish pull away in second gear my car had previously.
27-07-2015 09:42pm
michail1

(27-07-2015 12:55pm)mstraka Wrote:  Maybe as simple as this? Are you in one of the special "terrain response" modes explained in the owner's manual? If so go back to the default general mode. If not this, switch to sport mode "S" and use the paddle shifters to upshift and downshift. Your instrument display will tell you what gear number your in. When you come to a stop the car should put itself in 2nd and remain there when you start to accelerate until you manually upshift with the upshift paddle. Then turn the Dial indicator to "D" and use the paddles again. In "D" the car doesn't stay in the paddle shifter mode for long before it switches back to the non paddle mode and you have to paddle upshift to restore the paddle operation.

I am in normal terrain response 99% of the time. Only went into dynamic a few times just to see if I notice a diff, and I did, but have no need for them. Not having read your message completely since I was about to leave home, I was testing for the full drive (Seattle traffic).

Figured out that D mode with command shift does go back to normal Drive mode after about 10 seconds of not switching. If, while at a stop, I go into command mode via lower shift paddle, then it shows 1st gear. If I go into command shift mode using the up shift paddle, then it shows 2nd gear. So, no way to know what gear it actually is in before I hit the lever.

As for S mode, I agree, mine will stay in command shift mode until I exit the mode or put into D and let the timer take it out of command shift. I do get the same results of going into command shift mode by using the lower/upper shift padles.

I do recall that if I am in D while driving at speed (knowing I am coming to a stop), I enter command shift (4th gear for example). When it comes to a stop, it will go down to 2nd gear as you said it should and I love this (2nd gear start for a normal driver). I will test all this more tomorrow to be absolutely sure.

(27-07-2015 09:42pm)sorcerer Wrote:  With the 9 speed auto here in the UK there were software updates released.
I am guessing you have the 6 speed auto?? Maybe software updates have been applied??
I don't know if any of the various Q425, Q450, (now Q500) updates applied in your country, but here in the UK several of us had them applied to our 9 speed Evoques and then the car would pull away in first gear.
Some did not like this, but I actually preferred it to the sluggish pull away in second gear my car had previously.

Yes, USA 2013 - 6 speed auto.
When I first complained of the issue and brought it in, they cleared the computer(s). No diff.
The second time I brought it in (for the free maintenance (oil change), then said they updated software and cleared computer, but still no diff.
I think D should start in Second, while S mode should be 1st ( normal vs sport). Seems like that would make sense to me.
(This post was last modified: 28-07-2015 04:29am by michail1.)
28-07-2015 04:28am
borbor1313

Resurrecting the dead. But what you are describing is standard operating practice of the gearbox. No wonder the dealer can find no fault .
At stand still the gearbox will default to 2nd gear as its start off gear
If you manually down select it will change to first
If you manually up select it will try to change from 2 to 3rd but because you are not moving or going fast enough it defaults back to second.
Deceleration is the converse as they gearbox will drop down gears back to second as you come to a halt..

My question is that if you are in drive or auto mode how do you know you are starting in 1st gear or how do you know there is a issue in changing between 1st and second as there is NO
indication anywhere of what gear you are in , in this mode?
(This post was last modified: 16-09-2015 02:03pm by borbor1313.)
16-09-2015 02:02pm
michail1

(16-09-2015 02:02pm)borbor1313 Wrote:  Resurrecting the dead. But what you are describing is standard operating practice of the gearbox. No wonder the dealer can find no fault .
At stand still the gearbox will default to 2nd gear as its start off gear
If you manually down select it will change to first
If you manually up select it will try to change from 2 to 3rd but because you are not moving or going fast enough it defaults back to second.
Deceleration is the converse as they gearbox will drop down gears back to second as you come to a halt..

My question is that if you are in drive or auto mode how do you know you are starting in 1st gear or how do you know there is a issue in changing between 1st and second as there is NO
indication anywhere of what gear you are in , in this mode?

Fair enough.
Rephrase....
Poor shifting from the 1st gear it is starting in to the next gear it goes to.
The test Evoque doesn't do it.
The sales rep's Evoque doesn't do it.
The loaner Evoque doesn't do it.
The loaner Jag (same trans) doesn't do it.

Wife decided to bump a jeep in front of her while driving my car last month. They now claim is it must be from the accident (which only caused a paint scratch on my car). Of course the accident was last month while I have been bringing it in for well over a year for the issue.

Side note: The other party decided to file a $5000 insurance claim on the 1990 junk jeep which they told the officer they paid $1000 for. My insurance company is now looking into it since only the paint was scratched on my plastic bumper. Basically, a poor family sees a range rover and thinks they are going to score. The cop didn't even ticket my wife because there was no visible damage to their vehicle (at the time of the accident - who knows what has been done after the fact - Note, wife took a bunch of pictures and insurance company wants them - probably because of false claim).
16-09-2015 06:27pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The other party haven't claimed for life and employment threatening whiplash injuries yet then?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
16-09-2015 09:37pm
borbor1313

(25-07-2015 04:13pm)michail1 Wrote:  My car - Tach goes up to 3000, engine decides to shift (releases first), tach continues to go up to 3100-3200, then goes into 2nd as the tach drops to about 2200. (From 2nd to 3rd is smooth, but happens before it should)
Normal car - Tach goes up to 3000, engine decides to shift (releases first), then goes into 2nd slightly after the tach drops to about 2200.

With my car, I am in 3rd or 4th gear by the time I get to 35mph.

In sport mode, it does the same.

Manual mode: If while sitting at a stop, I click the paddle to put in 2nd and then accelerate, then it is normal (because there is no shift from 1st to 2nd) -

You say the tachometer doesn't drop after the first gear change but continues to clinb to 3200 . Doesn't this suggest that it hasn't actually up changed to the next gear (as there must be a drop in revs with a bigger gear. )so Don't know what your car must be doing at this point in time to make you feel it has changed gears. . My only thought is that if it is somehow changing out of first , and then back into first again(instead of second gear). This would explain why there is no drop in revs at this point.
Also the evoque will always up change before 3000 if in auto mode . exceptions being if in command mode and starting off in first gear or in sports mode with hard acceleration . so maybe you are right in your original assumption that your car is defaulting to 1st gear when stationary.
Not sure how to go about fixing this if factory won't acknowledge it. Have you consider flashing the Ecu with a tune?? Don't know if it will make a difference as not sure if it affects gear change points but bluefin have a 2 week trial period and if no good you can return . Ultimately though it's more likely a gearbox issue
17-09-2015 03:28pm