Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Headlining rattles
Baileythecocker

Headlining rattles

Found and cured 2 minor (but very very irritating) rattles recently
With help from this forum one was located eventually just to the left of the front overhead light switch/sun roof control panel, could have swore that the rattle was coming from the passenger side rear door area but having no luck sourcing rattle and almost giving up was out driving and held hand up to headlining in area mentioned and to my delight the rattle stopped
So next day dropped very carefully the front headlining no more than a couple of inches, which was easier than I thought it would be, there was just 3 pop in and out plastic retaining clips holding liner in position
I could see a module which was hanging loose from its mounting and a cable supply which would have laid directly onto the headlining maybe causing the rattle, anyway using a bit of foam packing (sponge) I supported both cable and module which by the way operates the roller blind for pano roof then popped headliner back in place and yes that rattle has gone - Job duration 15 minutes only
So with one success decided to drop rear lining this time found a cable retaining clip shaped like a horseshoe which had a sticky pad at it's base it was laid in a tray that runs underneath the sun blind roller assembly I think this was rattling with vibration also at the same time as I removed the offending clip I checked the security of the blind roller housing and it did appear to click in place when handling it so could also have been cause of rattle
So popped rear lining back in place job done maybe 20 minutes spend on this one
Have ran the car quite a few miles now and hopefully that's it sorted it rattle free, overall it wasn't a great problem but as we all know a rattle really is very annoying and it's quite a nice feeling when they are silenced
I know I should have taken the car in to the dealers to get sorted I mean the cars not even a year old yet but it was one of those intermittent things almost certainly wouldn't have manifested had I taken it in and to be perfectly honest I would have instructed them to check out both rear doors as that is where I would have gambled the rattles came from it just shows you your ears can play tricks on you, so many thanks to the posts on this forum for advice in finding and curing rattles Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy

: MY14 Dynamic SD4 9 Auto Fuji Cont/Pano Roof and a few bits n bobs
Gone....MY12 Freelander TD4 6 Auto and a long list of the good bad and just wished I hadn't bought them
26-01-2015 10:44pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Crustydaemon

RE: Headlining rattles

if possible can you post some pictures??
27-01-2015 05:11pm
Baileythecocker

(27-01-2015 05:11pm)Crustydaemon Wrote:  if possible can you post some pictures??

So sorry no pics taken and just to point out the rattles I had were all associated with the pano roof blind

Having the courage to part drop headlining I suppose can be a bit daunting but if you have basic Diy skills it shouldn't present a problem
If in doubt talk to your dealer/supplier and get them to take a look and carry out any work

KC

Gone....MY12 Freelander TD4 6 Auto and a long list of the good bad and just wished I hadn't bought them
27-01-2015 06:20pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

So you mean to say that being told the front screen had to be removed on mine to take the headliner down to cure a rattle in a similar position was a load of b*ll**ks? I was told that my rattle up there was a known problem with the InControl panel wiring!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
28-01-2015 05:54pm
Baileythecocker

(28-01-2015 05:54pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  So you mean to say that being told the front screen had to be removed on mine to take the headliner down to cure a rattle in a similar position was a load of b*ll**ks? I was told that my rattle up there was a known problem with the InControl panel wiring!

I don't have InControl so can't say how the wiring route is run under the headlining but for certain the wiring and control module for the sun blind certainly is and in my case the remedy took all of 15 mins
Strangely enough I have lived with that particular rattle for a couple of months and whilst I am glad it's gone I can't help but keep listening for it (sort of half expecting it to return) sad but I drive now at the moment with the sound system off so I can delight in how nice the car is rattle free

Do the dealers get paid for warranty work? I might be being a bit cynical but to sort a rattle my way or to have the windscreen taken out must be a vast cost difference........ Just a thought

28-01-2015 08:27pm