Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Ordered!
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Ordered! (mostly)

That is my attitude too Mark - new technology and all that! I'm used to these glitches with hitech toys at work too. Once we tried all fibre optic/Canbus networking around the ships..................... nobody onboard could ever fix problems and the first one was just after completion of seatrials the Korean cleaning ladies were sent onboard to get the ship polished and cleaned for hand-over the next day.......... one found a thread hanging out of a cable tray and tidied it up by snipping it with her scissors........ it took 10 days of boffins trying to figure out why the 145000hp fully computerised engine just would not start even in manual mode before they traced all the fibre optic runs and found a hair's diameter one cut.....................

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
29-03-2014 07:08pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartbreakRidge

RE: Ordered!

I am happy to report that I placed my Garmin to the far left of the dash (where I like it), and it had no problems picking up satellites through the heated windscreen. The heating mesh sometimes I see, sometimes I don't, but it's never annoying, so I think I will be fine there.

Also, I was delighted to learn at pickup that the dealer had forgotten to delete an optional (though apparently default) protection package, so I got interior and cargo area rubber mats, locking wheel nuts, a sun shade, and a fancy license plate frame for free.

I'm getting used to the turbo, and even with the new 9 speed I'm still learning to handle the small delays in power. The Firenze Red looks properly bright and rich even with overcast skies, and doubly good in sun. Also, a few other random observations:

Bluetooth streaming is lovely. I can really fling it around corners quite nicely. No rattles. The combination of rain sensor and interval wipers is quite brilliant. Heated seats and windscreen are goooooooood. The Xenon headlights are properly bright and over a sizeable area.

More to come in due time. Cool

MY2014 Pure Plus, Firenze Red, Lunar/Cirrus interior, Climate Care & Vision Assist packages
Built: March 10, 2014 / Delivery Date (three weeks early!): March 26, 2014
30-03-2014 07:09pm
XFullFatTim

HBR, I have just completed a 390 miles drive in mine................... it is a big improvement over my last one. A lot quieter, velvet smooth gearchanges apart from one where I floored the loud pedal to pull out of the Gaydon Centre and it pulled away in first rather than 2nd or 3rd as it should! I love the road sign recognition - it even picked up dirty portable signs set up on the road side although I have disabled the speed limiter and speed warning alarm (hate to have a gong sound when I chose to exceed the speed limit, worse NOT to be able to by putting the limiter on!) . Rather than hijack your thread I'll post my fuel figures on my own one!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 30-03-2014 09:14pm by XFullFatTim.)
30-03-2014 09:10pm
Hotwheelsvespa

Your car looks amazing Tim great colour combination
30-03-2014 09:16pm
XFullFatTim

Thanks mate - it's also rare! I saw loads and loads of OG's, White's, Red's and Blacks today and only one other Zanzibar and it didn't have the black pack or the contrast roof, also saw one in London yesterday.

30-03-2014 10:18pm
HeartbreakRidge

So far I'd have to say the only (minor) annoyance is that I wish the stop/start transition was smoother, after it starts back up there's a definite pause before it's ready to actually provide power.

MY2014 Pure Plus, Firenze Red, Lunar/Cirrus interior, Climate Care & Vision Assist packages
08-04-2014 05:45pm
XFullFatTim

Yes I agree HBR and it is easy to catch it out and end up with sky high revs in 1st gear if you apply throttle before the various ECU's have all "spoken" to each other and decided that they all want the car to move! BUT as I don't do a lot of town driving and no commuting it only bothers me a couple of times a month when I go into the big city. The Diesel engine damps it out quite well though, I would imagine in the petrol it could be more noticable

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2014 08:01pm by XFullFatTim.)
08-04-2014 08:00pm
HeartbreakRidge

(08-04-2014 08:00pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  The Diesel engine damps it out quite well though, I would imagine in the petrol it could be more noticable

I'm learning to anticipate needing to move by lifting off the brake just enough to start it or by reaching over to disable stop/start before I come to a stop when it's apparent I won't be stopped long.

08-04-2014 08:17pm
XFullFatTim

What I do is watch the traffic lights carefully and try to judge when they are going to change and just ease off the brake that tiny amount to restart the engine but not enough to let the car roll, usually by the time the lights change to green everything is all ready to go, if I misjudge the restart then I just pull on the parking brake.

08-04-2014 09:07pm
HeartbreakRidge

Paying more attention on the drive home, the *thunk* as stop/start kicks into gear finally should be a bit smoother, but it's only a minor quibble.

On a different note, anyone know what the pump-like sound is that was quite audible at the left rear tire for a few minutes after shutting the engine off? I assume it's something to do with the fuel system.

(This post was last modified: 09-04-2014 01:09am by HeartbreakRidge.)
09-04-2014 01:07am