Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Oil change?
FL22EV

Oil change?

Apologies if this is addressed elsewhere but I don't see it...

I am about to take delivery of an Evoque SE with the new Ingenium 2.0 engine. The dealership tell me that the service plan is for 2 year service intervals. Now, I'm sure that modern engines are able to handle that length of time between services, but I have always made a point of changing my engine oil every 12 months, have experienced good reliability etc and am inclined to continue doing this (no doubt at additional expense) with the new car.
My average annual mileage is 11,000, a mix of town, motorway & rural driving.
What is the opinion of forum members? Am I going to be making a mistake getting the oil changed annually or do people think it's sensible? And what reasons for your view? Thanks!
12-01-2016 04:15pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Steve D

RE: Oil change?

Id be inclined to change just the oil in between the 2 yearly services. I wouldn't bother with long life oil either. 22,000 miles between oil changes just doesn't seem right.

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2016 07:55pm by Steve D.)
12-01-2016 07:53pm
wheels

I change the oil about every 12 months. You can find fairly cheap oil of the right quality on the net
13-01-2016 01:03am
PhilSkill

Even though oils and filters have improved, ultimately by changing the oil and filter you're flushing away harmful deposits by changing it rather than driving around for upto 2 years with them. It's not going to be a bad thing for engine longevity.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
13-01-2016 04:25pm
mark_n

Replacing the engine oil every year is relatively inexpensive and makes sense if you intend to keep the car for a long time. If you are wedded to the traditional 3 year replacement cycle, it makes less sense because it will count for nothing come resale. Perversely, if the oil changes are carried out other than by LR using LR parts and specified oil, it might actually count against you.

My supermarket/airport/don't care where I leave it car is an 11 year old Subaru Impreza WRX with 140000 miles, and where many such cars will not be proactively maintained at all, I religiously change the oil every 10000 miles and use a better quality/fully synthetic/lower viscosity oil than originally specified. That car has just sailed through its MOT and runs perfectly.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 23-01-2016 05:26am by mark_n.)
23-01-2016 05:25am
sethor

TBH I don't think it would be necessary, they have increased oil capacity to push out service intervals. But I'm sure your dealer (like mine) will try to get you to come in for a half interval oil change.

Fuji White Dynamic Si4
25-01-2016 07:23am
Steve D

(25-01-2016 07:23am)sethor Wrote:  TBH I don't think it would be necessary, they have increased oil capacity to push out service intervals. But I'm sure your dealer (like mine) will try to get you to come in for a half interval oil change.

?? The oil capacity for the 2.2 TD/SD4 is 6.5 ltrs. What is the increased capacity for the 2.0 ingenium engines?

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
25-01-2016 12:55pm
Jim C

(25-01-2016 12:55pm)Steve D Wrote:  ?? The oil capacity for the 2.2 TD/SD4 is 6.5 ltrs. What is the increased capacity for the 2.0 ingenium engines?

Well Steve, according to the manual (p299) it is actually the 2.0 Ingenium engine that has the 6.5L capacity, the old 2.2 L engine is 5.9L.

I can't help feeling that the manufacturer of the engine knows best when it comes to the frequency of oil changes. Why are people so suspicious- shouldn't we be pleased that the service interval has been extended?
23-04-2016 04:02pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

There is nothing to stop anyone doing oil changes more frequently than is required by the maker, so long as the filter and oil are LR approved. It makes sense if you intend keeping the car a long time. Just one thing to bear in mind is that you may need to buy a suction pump to get the old oil out like on my RRS, there is no sump plug on the SDv6 engine............. I don't know if the Ingenium engine is the same.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
23-04-2016 04:07pm
Steve D

Well I've got the 2.2 SD4 engine with 16,000/12 month servicing intervals. Even though I have 2 years free servicing I've got approx 11,500 miles/6 months to go until the first of those free services but it's getting an oil change (in the trade, doing it myself) in the next couple of weeks mainly because it does short journeys and doesn't get used much. I always double up on oil changes for my own vehicles - can't do any harm!

* How oil service intervals have changed - the ingenium engine can go for 22,000 miles between oil changes. My old Cortuna Lotus called for the oil to be changed every 2,500 miles!!!!!!

(This post was last modified: 23-04-2016 05:18pm by Steve D.)
23-04-2016 04:54pm