Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Off to East Africa - what to do to Evoque?
j7david

In 2 months I'm off to East Africa (Kenya) to work as a volunteer doctor for a year (or two), and shipping the Evoque out there.

Roads: mix of everything from Chinese-built 6-lane superhighway (complete with speed bumps and pedestrians in sections with 80mph 'limit') through to rough roads, unsurfaced, large potholes, and places that turn into mud when the rains come.

I've been there multiple times before, and know that 99.9% of the population manage with vehicles MUCH less nice than my Evoque - but I want to (a) not get stuck in the mud in my expensive car, and (b) be able to go into the national parks with minimal fear of the Evoque getting stuck.

So I'm wondering -- what's worth getting before I go?

What I've got:
Tinted windows and fitting blinds
General Grabber AT tyres
Full-size spare
Warning triangle
Belt cutter, hammer
A Kenyan wife, 2 kids, and a reasonable handle on the local language

Any suggestions of other useful stuff that I might not have thought of?
- Recovery strap? (suggestions as to which one?)
- Anything else?

Thanks!

Jan '12 Dynamic SD4 Auto, 19" General Grabber AT, a few options, off to Kenya soon.
07-07-2014 09:06am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Biker

RE: Off to East Africa - what to do to Evoque?

Kenyan wife with a landrover?

TD4 180 HSE MY17 Fuji White
07-07-2014 11:21am
RacingSnake

Laughing

How about getting kenyan maps installed on the satnav?

(and a gun in the glovebox).

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
07-07-2014 11:34am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mighTTy-RRE

Possibly a Hi-Lift jack?
07-07-2014 05:05pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Sell it and buy a 1996/1997 TDi300 powered Defender110 - something any bush mechanic can fix without needing a laptop and internet access............. Or buy an old Toyota Land Cruiser, both will fare much better and be less desirable to thieves than the Evoque.

I am sailing with 7 South Africans at the moment, 4 of whom are Land Rover nuts and they think you are mad to even think about taking something as nice as Evoque out there, it's ground clearance is too low for most "velt" driving and come the wet season no low range gearbox will seriously hamper you! If you are only sticking to metalled highways, fine the Evoque will do but don't go on Safari in one!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2014 05:42pm by XFullFatTim.)
07-07-2014 05:27pm
j7david

(07-07-2014 05:27pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Sell it and buy a 1996/1997 TDi300 powered Defender110 ...

Okay, maybe I won't go on proper safari, but the majority of the unsurfaced roads are negotiated by locals with normal cars (just fairly tricky in the wet, and very bumpy in the dry).

The plan is to sell the vehicle after a year there - normally there's 20%+25%+20%+something import duty so 2nd hand prices of Evoques at 2-3 years old are about the same as brand new prices here - and "returning residents" can import one vehicle duty-free Smile (subject to various rules, making swapping vehicle now not possible)

Jan '12 Dynamic SD4 Auto, 19" General Grabber AT, a few options, off to Kenya soon.
07-07-2014 08:10pm
mark_n

Haven't been to Kenya for a while but I would have thought your car would be wrecked. I just don't see the Evoque as being durable in the way a Defender or Disco is. Where are you planning to put the full sized spare wheel keeping in mind it is normally only ever a space saver?

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
08-07-2014 06:11am
Stadt Panzer

Was in Kenya last year for 6 weeks, the Evoque will be fine on the 'normal' roads, not sure if I'd be wanting or willing to take it out towards some of the ranches due the roads. The suspension would take a battering on some of them.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
08-07-2014 07:03am
j7david

(08-07-2014 06:11am)mark_n Wrote:  Where are you planning to put the full sized spare wheel keeping in mind it is normally only ever a space saver?

Like this (I'll make it all neater around the edges when I have some time):
[Image: attachment.php?aid=4024]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 19-07-2014 07:53pm by j7david.)
19-07-2014 07:51pm