Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Number Plate Holders
shortnick

Number Plate Holders

Hi, I just got my Evoque 2 weeks ago and have got some personalised number plates for it; however, the ones which were supplied (by Marshall's of Peterborough) are in some sort of black frame type holder which appears to be hinged at the top and bottom with a 'break' in the middle of each side with 2 small rectangular holes above the 'break'. I have tried to gently open them up to put the new ones in, but am afraid of snapping either the frame or the clips that hold the frame closed and I really don't want to drive all the way back to Peterborough to have them do it for me. Has anyone come across this design of plate holder and if so, what is the easiest way to get the old plate out? Many thanks.
01-10-2013 01:52pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Number Plate Holders

Any photos would be helpful - if you aren't keen to show your reg on open forum then you can edit the numbers out with software that some hosting websites provide

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
01-10-2013 03:01pm
shortnick

(01-10-2013 03:01pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Any photos would be helpful - if you aren't keen to show your reg on open forum then you can edit the numbers out with software that some hosting websites provide

I'll put some photos on when I get home, at work at the moment, but thanks for the suggestion.
01-10-2013 03:10pm
RacingSnake

I had those 'security' fittings on my old roadster - they were rubbish, a small watchmakers screwdriver to lever up from the middle and it popped open - to be fair, I had more of a time keeping the damned thing closed.
Personally, I wouldn't bother with them.

[Image: numberplatesmall.jpg]

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
01-10-2013 05:34pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stadt Panzer

Those are the ones everyone uses in Germany, mainly because the dealer can put their name on the bottom.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
01-10-2013 05:37pm
shortnick

(01-10-2013 05:37pm)Stadt Panzer Wrote:  Those are the ones everyone uses in Germany, mainly because the dealer can put their name on the bottom.

That would make sense as it is a military sales model which was prepped to go overseas. Think I've added some photos:

01-10-2013 05:51pm
BFGEvoqueMan

(01-10-2013 01:52pm)shortnick Wrote:  Hi, I just got my Evoque 2 weeks ago and have got some personalised number plates for it; however, the ones which were supplied (by Marshall's of Peterborough) are in some sort of black frame type holder which appears to be hinged at the top and bottom with a 'break' in the middle of each side with 2 small rectangular holes above the 'break'. I have tried to gently open them up to put the new ones in, but am afraid of snapping either the frame or the clips that hold the frame closed and I really don't want to drive all the way back to Peterborough to have them do it for me. Has anyone come across this design of plate holder and if so, what is the easiest way to get the old plate out? Many thanks.

Just put a flat knife between the frame and the number plate where the two holes are on the side and it will pop up. You can normally open them half a dozen times before they give up and break. If they do break then just go back to Marshalls and ask them for another set (they should give them to you free) [ that said we are talking about Marshalls who are so well renown for their customer care...]

Very Happy

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
01-10-2013 06:04pm
shortnick

Got it sorted now. They just unclip at the sides as described above and are hinged top and bottom to make it easy to put new plates in. Thanks for all your help.
01-10-2013 07:56pm