Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cleaning black shiny bits..
jbob

Cleaning black shiny bits..

I'm struggling to find the right product to clean the black panels on my dynamic. The black shiny panels around the windows and rear spoiler.

It seems to have loads of small scratches too.

Is there a suitable product to remove the scratches and bring back the shine?

Thanks!
19-04-2014 10:22pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

RE: Cleaning black shiny bits..

Look in the detailing and car care section of the forum. The plastic is very soft so you need the finest polish, preferably one designed for polishing plastic.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
20-04-2014 07:08am
IvorRedOne

(19-04-2014 10:22pm)jbob Wrote:  Is there a suitable product to remove the scratches and bring back the shine?

Thanks!

I use this product Flitz Liquid Polish. Works for me.
20-04-2014 06:40pm
Barton Evoque

Mr Sheen polish works for me.

Evoque My13 TD4 Pure.Orkney Grey with Tech Pack~Spare Wheel~Front Fogs~Privacy Glass~Ebony Interior~Mudflaps~Evoque Footrest~DVD Headrests~Towtrust Towbar.Collected 17th Sept. Very Happy
Also nicely modded Audi TT Roadster.
20-04-2014 07:23pm
IvorRedOne

(20-04-2014 07:23pm)Barton Evoque Wrote:  Mr Sheen polish works for me.

Cheapskate Very Happy

Doesn't get the fine scratches out though. Tried Tesco's finest myself. Didn't work.
20-04-2014 07:31pm
Barton Evoque

(20-04-2014 07:31pm)IvorRedOne Wrote:  Cheapskate Very Happy

Doesn't get the fine scratches out though. Tried Tesco's finest myself. Didn't work.
Not into detailing so wash mitt and chamois is the best mine gets.Embarrassed

Evoque My13 TD4 Pure.Orkney Grey with Tech Pack~Spare Wheel~Front Fogs~Privacy Glass~Ebony Interior~Mudflaps~Evoque Footrest~DVD Headrests~Towtrust Towbar.Collected 17th Sept. Very Happy
Also nicely modded Audi TT Roadster.
20-04-2014 08:16pm
speary

Use a fine plastic polish. Please note that the term polish usually implies some sort of abrasive when in relation to detailing cars etc. (Mr sheen etc don't have abrasives, just cleaning agents and waxes) once the scratches are out, and when cleaning the plastic bits only use straight line motions when washing and drying. Also use the 2 bucket washing method or at least use a grit guard in your bucket

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
24-04-2014 09:01am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

As Speary says, polish is abrasive and wax isn't, especially the spray on type. Turtle Wax makes coloured waxes but I have have never tried them on the Evoques black shiny bits, I've just lived with the swirls. I wonder if "Back to Black" liquid applied with a clean microfibre would seal the swirls?

I saw a brand new FFRR the other sat on a dealer forecourt waiting to be handed over last Saturday and even it had a few swirl marks on the D pillars.........

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 24-04-2014 09:54am by XFullFatTim.)
24-04-2014 09:54am
PhilSkill

I've used gTechniq P2 jewelling polish and Meguires 205, both very fine abrasive detailing polishes and still hard to get perfect, it is very hard to keep these swirl free as the surface is so soft, I've even coated mine in the gTechniq C1 ceramic coating, but after a few trips to the dealers for Warranty work and the swirls are back with avengance. The other option is more regular polishing with something like Meguires Swirl X which is a fine polish with fillers to fill or "hide" the swirls (like Mr Sheen will be! Laughing ) although generally I find Wax doesn't hide the swirls like a filler polish or pre-wax which is best used before a wax to reduce the visible swirling.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
24-04-2014 01:04pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Give up and accept that no matter what you do you will end up with a swirl somewhere on them!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 24-04-2014 02:07pm by XFullFatTim.)
24-04-2014 02:07pm