Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mystery Storage Compartments
Donny Dog

RE: Mystery Storage Compartments

(13-03-2012 02:45pm)RacingSnake Wrote:  it has sensors to detect petrol, rather than diesel.

Yes, but are they chemical sensors (which would need to be quite sophisticated and fast-acting), something that detects the diameter of the nozzle (in which case you could let some diesel go before you fully entered the nozzle), or what? I suspect, but don't know, that it may just be a go/no-go detector which just triggers the flap mechanically as the petrol nozzle passes through it, which certainly wouldn't stop you filling the tank if you placed the nozzle short of the trip mechanism. (Not that I will ever have to reply on it......hopefully!)
(This post was last modified: 13-03-2012 02:55pm by Donny Dog.)
13-03-2012 02:53pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

From the owner manual

DIESEL MISFUELLING PROTECTION
DEVICE
When the misfuelling device is activated, it may cause fuel to be discharged from the filler neck.
Note: It is the driver’s responsibility to fill the vehicle with the correct fuel. The diesel misfuelling protection device only reduces the risk of filling the vehicle with the incorrect fuel.
Diesel engine vehicles in some markets are equipped with a misfuelling protection device,
incorporated into the fuel filler neck. If the narrow filler nozzle fitted to pumps delivering unleaded petrol is fully inserted into the filler neck, the misfuel protection device will activate.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
(This post was last modified: 13-03-2012 02:55pm by cjfp.)
13-03-2012 02:55pm
Donny Dog

(13-03-2012 02:55pm)cjfp Wrote:  From the owner manual

DIESEL MISFUELLING PROTECTION
DEVICE
When the misfuelling device is activated, it may cause fuel to be discharged from the filler neck.
Note: It is the driver’s responsibility to fill the vehicle with the correct fuel. The diesel misfuelling protection device only reduces the risk of filling the vehicle with the incorrect fuel.
Diesel engine vehicles in some markets are equipped with a misfuelling protection device,
incorporated into the fuel filler neck. If the narrow filler nozzle fitted to pumps delivering unleaded petrol is fully inserted into the filler neck, the misfuel protection device will activate.

Hadn't read that, thanks. Sounds like a go/no-go device then, which relies on you putting the petrol nozzle through a hole into which the diesel nozzle won't fit. Not fool-proof, but still a good idea. Mind you, better still, you'd think they could have a bright yellow filler cap with 'diesel' written on it, and mark the different fuels as 'petrol' and 'diesel' on the pumps, wouldn't you! Wink
13-03-2012 03:04pm
RacingSnake

damn, and I thought I'd read that manual cover to cover... a number of times! lol

oh well, as said, it's just another safeguard I guess.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
13-03-2012 03:06pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I've split the posts from GUPS4U into a separate thread titled "mis-fuelled my Diesel" in the technical section as this isn't really a thread for issues like actual mis-fuel incidents. The thread is here http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Mis-fuelled-my-Diesel

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2012 01:53pm by XFullFatTim.)
08-04-2012 01:52pm
Donny Dog

(08-04-2012 01:52pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I've split the posts from GUPS4U into a separate thread titled "mis-fuelled my Diesel" in the technical section as this isn't really a thread for issues like actual mis-fuel incidents. The thread is here http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Mis-fuelled-my-Diesel

I'm glad you explained that - I was just reading the thread when part of it mysteriously disappeared. I thought I was imagining things!
08-04-2012 02:04pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Good job the "split posts" function worked then otherwise they would all have disappeared for good

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
08-04-2012 02:33pm
SiT

Maybe I’m new to this but inserting the diesel nozzle into the Evoque in seems quite short, like only 1/3rd of the nozzle inserts. Being used to petrol where the whole nozzle goes into the car this seemed at first a wee bit odd, fills up all the same though...
08-04-2012 11:26pm
Donny Dog

(08-04-2012 11:26pm)SiT Wrote:  Maybe I’m new to this but inserting the diesel nozzle into the Evoque in seems quite short, like only 1/3rd of the nozzle inserts. Being used to petrol where the whole nozzle goes into the car this seemed at first a wee bit odd, fills up all the same though...

That's why the misfuelling device works the way it does - the longer petrol nozzle passes through an orifice and trips the flap which then (hopefully) prevents the fuel getting into the tank. The diesel nozzle never reaches that trip device.
By the same token, if you become used to the behaviour of the diesel nozzle and then mistakenly put a petrol nozzle in only the same short distance, you might be able to 'beat' the misfuelling device as may have happened to the poster who has had all the trouble.
08-04-2012 11:31pm
SiT

(08-04-2012 11:31pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  That's why the misfuelling device works the way it does - the longer petrol nozzle passes through an orifice and trips the flap which then (hopefully) prevents the fuel getting into the tank. The diesel nozzle never reaches that trip device.
By the same token, if you become used to the behaviour of the diesel nozzle and then mistakenly put a petrol nozzle in only the same short distance, you might be able to 'beat' the misfuelling device as may have happened to the poster who has had all the trouble.

Makes sense, thanks for that.
08-04-2012 11:41pm