Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My new winter wheels and tyres
mickydd

RE: My new winter wheels and tyres

(04-02-2012 10:45pm)bell-auto-services Wrote:  We got some good snow so ive just come back from a long run on the motorway A64 and York centre back streets with these new tyres on, Im very happy with the grip and traction they give and even braking traction is very good.

The treads do as they should and collect the snow in the very fine lines and self clean on the others, all in all im very happy with these and glad I purchased them.

Pete

So money well spent then Pete. We've got about 4" down here in Halifax. Just wish I had the Evoque to have a play.
Just to let you know, went on your website, looked under products, RRE and the page for TV on the go doesn't appear to be loading, you might want to take a look,
Cheers Mick

Arrived 24th February. Dynamic 5 dr SD4, manual ,Firenze with Verve interior, 20" Sparkle
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2012 11:07pm by mickydd.)
04-02-2012 11:05pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bell-auto-services

Yes for sure money well spent, if I can get a few winters outof them it will be worth it.

Ill take a look at my site, thanks for the pointer.

Pete

TV/DVD-On-The-Move modules available from £145+ £10 UK mainland shipping Excluding higlands and Islands.
04-02-2012 11:27pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Pete, I ran my last RRS Tdv8 on a set of winter tyres in July 2010 after taking out the 2 nearside wheels and tyres after hitting a large pothole at 60mph on a back road. Drove from Central Scotland to London and back and on the Northumberland section of the M6, over Shap in the rain they felt more confidence inspiring than the summer tyres, and when all around were aquaplaning in the deep water the RRS felt steady and not even a wink of the TC light showed. Even driving in the tropical SE for a week didn't seem to cause them to wear any faster than normal. Those were Pirelli Snow and Ice pattern winter tyres. I'm about to take the Evoque to my local tyre shop where they have had a set of Continental S&I tyres fitted onto my 19" wheels waiting since October for me.
Interestingly my brother has just been recommended by his Audi dealership that he should run his new A5 Cab Tdi on winter tyres all the year round up here as they give it a much less filling loosening ride!!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 10:24am by XFullFatTim.)
05-02-2012 10:18am
bell-auto-services

Tim, nice to know your old ones didnt wear any faster than normal. This did cross my mind when fitting them back on a few days ago as to how long they will last as they do seem to have a lot more tread depth that my standard 20's. Reading your input im probabally going to leave them on untill the cold snap has fully gone and get the use out of them with hope they will still have plenty of life left in for next year etc.

TBH, I have drove many a landrover as you have but my self with only a dedicated mud tyre on this is the first time ive drove with S&I types and i have to say im impressed with the characturistic of them verse the standard tyre.

when you get your fitted Tim post up a couple of pics Smile

Pete

TV/DVD-On-The-Move modules available from £145+ £10 UK mainland shipping Excluding higlands and Islands.
05-02-2012 10:26am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim

Pete I drove one winter with BFG MTR's on my Defender and wouldn't ever do it again, it was frightening as the brakes just seemed to evaporate! I returned the car to the BFG AT's that it came with and it was a much nicer car to drive in the ice and snow.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
05-02-2012 10:37am
Firenze

Is it possible to ask for certain tyres to be fitted at the factory? As mines going to build later this month but would be nice to have all season tyres fitted

Firenze Dynamic Si4, Pano roof, Verve, Ebony headliner, Black Strata, Privacy glass, Lux Pack - Enjoying since 7/3/12
05-02-2012 12:45pm
XFullFatTim

Firenze you can try but the choice is Pirelli or Continental.

I've just returned from the tyre shop and my wheels and tyres are ready and surprise surprise, after loads of hassles over having to have Craptinental winter tyres and not the Pirellis I wanted.................... what turned up when they were delivered was a set of PIRELLI's, I'm made up and to make the deal even better they are giving me 17.5% discount for the hassle over delivery, that's as well as not charging for fitting my own TPMS sensors, balancing and fitting!

05-02-2012 01:51pm
bell-auto-services

Good news Tim Smile

06-02-2012 09:43am
Sarcastrix

Pete, does your Evoque have AD? The only reason I ask is because the order guide says the following:

Quote:Adaptive Dynamics - including Dynamic Mode 027CY
Only with 19" & 20" wheels, GTDi & SD4
engines & Xenon headlamps. Not available
on Pure

I'd prefer to run 18" winter wheels (cheaper tyres) but according to that I can only 19's. What's your take on this?

Thanks.

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
06-02-2012 10:25am
XFullFatTim

Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow winter tyres on style 3 19" rims now fitted. Immediate difference was how much less tyre roar there is on the Pirellis compared to the Craptinentals. I really don't know why LR persists in fitting Continentals as they are more expensive than the Pirellis, noisier on the road and in my previous experience on RRS's they wear out faster.
[Image: c6f3abf5.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-02-2012 02:09pm by XFullFatTim.)
06-02-2012 02:05pm