Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Moving from Auto to Manual anyone?
fam1x

Moving from Auto to Manual anyone?

Has anyone moved from a Automactic car to a Manual Evoque? Wondering what their experince is? I've always had manual cars and now looking to move to a automatic which seems a lot eaiser to drive.

Just found out there is a cancel order on a White Manual Evoque at Stratstone Land Rover Woodford
Tel: 0208 530 9480 if anyone is interest. Didnt go into too much detail as not interest in a manual or white car.

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
28-11-2011 11:05am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PJ

RE: Moving from Auto to Manual anyone?

My last car (X1) was an auto but all my cars before this were manuals. The X1 auto was shockingly bad so I decided to go back to manual. No complaints with the box although 80% of my driving is out of town. I had use of a FL2 auto last week whilst my car had its leak fixed and in town the auto makes things so much easier but out of town I prefer my manual. Most members seem to feel it has to be an auto cos it's a RR, but I actually feel the manual suits my dynamic just fine thanks!

Arrived! OG 5dr Dynamic, shadow chromes, pano roof and few other bits.
(This post was last modified: 28-11-2011 11:26am by PJ.)
28-11-2011 11:26am
BFGEvoqueMan

My 1st FL2 was a diesel auto and to be honest I hated the gearbox. Having been spoilt my high end Merc and BMW auto's the shift was rough in comparison and the manual over-ride was so-so in its performance. when I changed to a manual FL2 it was a much more lively beast and with the stop start system was about 20% more economical. All I really missed from the auto was when towing you could change gear with the cruise control still engaged (and not lose valuable momentum up hills) which in the auto clearly disengages when you dip the clutch. The manual gearbox (a volvo unit) is the same on the RRE as in the FL2 and I found the short throw lever a pleasure to use, with really positive action.

IMHO unless you do loads of town driving then the manual gives the advantage of a lower RFL bill and more mpg and is the way to goWink

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
28-11-2011 12:16pm
J77

I am moving from auto to manual, I find the manual on the evoque has effortless gear changes and are very smooth. Before the auto I had manual and before that I had an auto disco. When I have the auto I miss the manual and when I have the manual I miss the auto. That's life.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
28-11-2011 01:13pm
Evo-king

(28-11-2011 11:05am)fam1x Wrote:  Has anyone moved from a Automactic car to a Manual Evoque? Wondering what their experince is? I've always had manual cars and now looking to move to a automatic which seems a lot eaiser to drive.

Just found out there is a cancel order on a White Manual Evoque at Stratstone Land Rover Woodford
Tel: 0208 530 9480 if anyone is interest. Didnt go into too much detail as not interest in a manual or white car.

fam1x, which way around are you going? You start by saying auto to manual, then manual to auto. which is what I think you mean.

My first auto was a VW/Audi DSG box which is a special dual clutch box which hold two gears at the same time and does not have a torque converter. I had no problems other than getting confident on the hill hold function, since then I've owned 4 more autos.

What I also like with the higher performance car is that when driving hard, you can floor the throttle grip the steering wheel and surge into the distance seamlessly, in a manual passengers are surging back and forth with each gear change.

On a more serious note autos are great in town use.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
28-11-2011 06:40pm
KPNuts

Auto Saab to Manual Evoque. Part of our reason was that the other 3 cars in our household are manual. The other part was that Auto's have higher fuel consumption. Really like the position of the gear-leaver and it has very short throws.

SD4 Coupe Prestige, Orkney Grey, Privacy Glass, Spare Wheel, Dipping RVM
Ordered: 12/09/11 Collected 22/12/11
Supporting Macmillan Cancer Support in Mac 4x4 Challenge
03-01-2012 07:19pm
nishandf

I previously had a semi-automatic S-Tronic (DSG) gearbox in the TT which was superb! However my SD4 Dynamic manual gearbox is great. I think until LR changes the auto to the new 8speed box as in the XF they will be no comparison to the manual.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2012 07:36pm by nishandf.)
03-01-2012 07:35pm
Evo-king

Going from Merc 7speed auto to Manual SD4.

The manual has a short throw and close gears, with a great feel to it.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
03-01-2012 10:00pm
Louie

I have changed from an auto Jag XF to a manual Evoque, auto E class before that. The short throw box is a joy to use and really enjoying the manual experience once again. Returned to manual because of cost and fuel consumption, still early days with regards fuel haven't been on a long journey yet but local driving averaging about 30mpg.

Pure SD4 Firenze Red, manual with tech pack, pano roof, auto dimming rear view mirror, xenons & fogs
Delivered Very HappyVery Happy[/font]
04-01-2012 12:29am
ytshome

I'm with the set that thinks its got to be an auto because it's a RR. That said, I too came from the XF, with the same gearbox but IMO, probably because the jag had much more power, the xf box seemed smoother and less inclined to be in the wrong gear. Don't get me wrong I'd have another in preference to a manual but I do think it could do with the eight speed and a little bit more shove.

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
04-01-2012 12:38am