Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Motor sheared off steering rack on 2014 Pure
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Motor sheared off steering rack on 2014 Pure

Also post this to their FB page as they seem to pay more attention to FB than to owner forums these days

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
23-12-2018 09:37am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stanb

I have tried posting the pictures but it does not appear to accept pictures in any format.....

Any ideas anyone?
23-12-2018 02:58pm
Gabriel450

Hi, i live in Canada and there is a recall exactly for the power steering motor bolt. Do you have an email address so i can send it to you?
23-12-2018 04:52pm
stanb

Thank You
I think this is it....... and Land Rover don’t think there is a problem??!!!

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VR...esult&pg=0
23-12-2018 06:26pm
Gabriel450

I am talking about this one:
28-12-2018 07:58pm
wungun

(28-12-2018 07:58pm)Gabriel450 Wrote:  I am talking about this one:
I had this very recall done on my '13 Evoque Dynamic. Got a letter in the mail describing the exact same thing.
However, is it the same as the OP described?
He says the entire power steering assist unit broke off, not the gear on the motor....
Or did I misinterpret what he said?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
29-12-2018 11:34pm
Rondomm

Sorry to hear of your woes guys, but big thanks to the heads up about steering rack bolts. I’m going to call my local garage in morning and see how much to replace the bolts before anything goes bang! Hope you get a result with JLR and prompt a recall
17-01-2019 07:35pm
argyll

Hi - I'm driving a discovery sport but it's an identical arrangement for the steering rack (and many other components obviously). Your posted prompted me to join this forum - I hope that's ok with other members. I have just experienced an identical issue to the one that you've written about and now in the JLR customer experience loop, which so far has been ok but we've not got to the important bit yet...

My wife was pulling out of a lay-by and seconds later there was a massive crunch and the steering failed. The recovery driver said he recovered cars all the time in this area with the same problem and was surprised there hadn't been a recall either.

I recovered the car to my local garage who have serviced my cars amazingly well for 20 years. They put it on the ramp and confirmed what the recovery driver had already thought - sheared bolts. JLR refused to take the conversation further until I got the vehicle to their dealer in Glasgow, obviously at my cost. We live in Argyll and Bute, so it's not a 5 five minute drive and wasn't cheap. I also had to the pay for the diagnostic which could have been done in a few mins - sheared bolts ain't difficult to spot. Repair cost estimate £2600 plus diagnostic fee.

Now I'm waiting for JLR to investigate and deem if there's anything they'd propose to help. This my forth JLR vehicle - all bought new or ex demonstrator from a main dealer - XK8, XJ, Freelander, Disco Sport. No problems up to now, but this one is brand killer for me depending on the response and customer experience. I too will obtain the parts and pay the surcharge as I want to get them in the lab and investigated. I believe there to be a very significant safety issue that is not being made public. Why would Tesla do a recall and JLR won't? Is there a climate / environment factor at play here - Argyll and Bute is wet and gets plenty of salt on the roads in winter.
(This post was last modified: 16-08-2019 11:46am by argyll.)
16-08-2019 11:40am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Welcome to the forum Argyll, and no problem posting about your issue here. I hope you get a good result. Which dealer did the car end up at? Taggarts North Glasgow?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
17-08-2019 08:41pm
argyll

Thanks! Yes it’s Taggarts North Glasgow.
17-08-2019 09:02pm