Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Meet Evie!
Ezandania

RE: Meet Evie!

Finally picked up Evie last Saturday and its been so wonderful.

The drive feeling is comfortable, supple but firm. With the Dynamics mode, attacking corners gives more confidence, though I think having a slightly lower (lowering springs) and wider stance (wider tyres) might improve it a bit more. But since I have the Mini and the S2000 for those corner carvings, the Evoque is just perfect - just need to remind myself I'm driving a SUV from time to time.

The Si4 is very potent, quick and powerful. There is the noticeable turbo lag (which I think is the 2000-2500rpm region), but if you always try to hold it at the sweet spot of 3K rpm, instant power! For its size, I was pleasantly surprised at how quick it gets up to speed. I have difficulties trying to keep it at the lower legal speed limits (50kph and 65kph), as even a gentle prod of the happy pedal really brings it up to speed really quick! Just to share, I actually got ticketed recently driving 75kph in a 65kph zone...why? The ride is so cushy and supple that you really do lose the sense of speed while driving it.

I like the throaty exhaust sound when you accelerate - kinda reminds me of an Elise. Though being a Rangey, I would like a slightly deeper/bassier note.

Everybody loves the puddle lamps. It's just one of those simple things which brings a smile to my family and friends. Kids shout 'Coooll!!! That's just like the Bat signal!!'

I like the easy entry/exit feature of the dynamic plus seats. It's just so convenient. My wife is quite petite, so her seat setting is quite high...and to have the seat 'bow down' just as she gets out is such a thoughtful feature.

The 850W Meridian system is in a word - AWESOME. I played Anita Baker's 'Sweet Love', Creed's 'My Sacrifice', Michael Buble's 'Quando,Quando,Quando' and K-Ci/Jojo's 'All My Life'....it just sounds so rich, powerful but not overbearing. These files were ripped at 320kbps, so I'm guessing a better experience to be had if I was running lossless audio.

The surround camera display was helpful, but coming from the iPad hi-res display camp, the resolution of the AV unit could have been better. If this was HD or True HD, it would be brilliant. Hopefully someone comes up with an upgrade. The cameras are crap during rain (but then again, not sure what a good solution for that is)

The panoramic roof really does transform the interior. With the dynamic plus pack, the ebony headlining really makes it into a snug place. But open the blinds, it becomes so airy and roomy. The sun catches the color of the red seats and people passing by, can't help but stare and look in awe. It's just beautiful. Rear Passengers constantly look up and smile a stupid smile while looking up at the cloud formations, passing streetlamps or the starry skies. Very addictive (esp when there's a good song playing in the background)

It's only been 4 days and I have racked close to 700km. I just can't stop driving Evie. It's so addictive. The 8-months wait had been truly worth it. She's beautiful. Truly a dream come true.

---------------------------------------

1) The pics below are of Evie taken last Saturday just before she rolled out of the showroom
2) Here's some pics of its first carwash. I've booked for J-Glazed glasscoating treatment for Evie next week.
The owner of the shop also had an Evoque (contrast roof, no pano, normal dynamic seats, SD4)...as we watched our Evoques got washed, we compared notes and looked over each other's cars. He had his a week earlier than me.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

2012 Evoque Dynamic Si4 Auto, Fuji White/Agility Dynamic Plus, 20" Style 6's, Panoramic Roof, Keyless Entry, Power Tailgate, Surround Cameras, 825W Meridian Sound, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenon HIDs
2003 Mini Cooper S
1999 Honda S2000
(This post was last modified: 20-03-2012 06:04pm by Ezandania.)
20-03-2012 05:54pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Samouraï

Very nice! Congrats!
22-03-2012 05:57am
Ezandania

Evie went on a long roadtrip recently, which took it along mountainous roads. Set on Dynamic mode/Sports Setting/Commandshift - it attacked the corners competently and flat, gives confidence to the driver, though you really have to remain in commandshift to hold the Evoque in its ideal powerband. The 'auto' mode in just D or S, is not really that intelligent, feels kinda raw...i see now how people keep on saying its hunting the gears. Feels very similar to the cars with the first-gen SMG (eg E46 M3), I think it really needs the dual-clutch 8-speed gearbox to make it into a seamless experience.

The long road trip at highspeeds also made me notice the 'flapping sound' made by the air travelling around the 'dumbo ears' of the wing mirrors. If you rolled down the windows whilst travelling abt 120km/h, it sounds like there's a helicopter hovering in the distance!

I really have to get used to strangers hovering around Evie, peeking in, snapping away with their cameraphones, posing with Evie, gaping mouths at the traffic light etc. It really is a head-turner!

The DRL's are really bright! You can always single out an Evoque amongst a group of cars. The signature lights really do stand out, and is a very fascinating design....so much different than the Audis or VWs.

The ambient lighting is a bit weak IMHO, esp with the darker interior of the Dynamic Plus. I think it's more suited for lighter interiors...where the light can be reflected back rather than absorbed by the darker interior.

The electric boot is cool...when you have a lot of shopping and your hands are full. Though i hoped there would be a firmware upgrade which can help you CLOSE the boot from the key or from inside.

Air conditioning is OK, i suppose for the front. But for the back, I wished they installed overhead/roof air vents to channel the cool air. Where the rear vents are situated, it's not really effective when you have 3 passengers at the back.

Refueled at just under the quarter mark (about 110km to go), and with the tank brimmed with fuel it gives me an estimated 555km of effective distance. The trip computer calculates my journey overall to be abt 28-30mpg (highway or the longer drives), whilst 16-18mpg when doing the urban driving. Not bad. Quite close to the manufacturer's claimed figures.

Ok...guess that's enough for the field report. More next time. Now for some pics.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

2012 Evoque Dynamic Si4 Auto, Fuji White/Agility Dynamic Plus, 20" Style 6's, Panoramic Roof, Keyless Entry, Power Tailgate, Surround Cameras, 825W Meridian Sound, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenon HIDs
2003 Mini Cooper S
1999 Honda S2000
(This post was last modified: 30-03-2012 12:37am by Ezandania.)
29-03-2012 01:30pm
441kali

Wow! Beautiful pictures.....Evie against that blue is stunning! Lucky gal
(This post was last modified: 29-03-2012 09:36pm by 441kali.)
29-03-2012 09:35pm
Ezandania

Evie recently went for her first servicing. Mileage was about 3000km. Oil used was Castrol SLX 0-30W (7 litres). I know the service manual was for the first 16000km, but both dealer and I thought it was unusual to have it that far along...so we opted to play safe and service it early.

Googled 'Castrol SLX' and it doesn't seem to be the common Castrol product. Only a few websites have it - most websites marketing Magnatec as its sole fully-synthethic offering. Is the SLX a new product?

2003 Mini Cooper S
1999 Honda S2000
31-03-2012 12:54am