Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rocket Evoque
RREVO

RE: Rocket Evoque

(04-01-2014 12:41pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  It won't matter as I suspect your dealer will buy a complete spoiler with everything already installed.
This was what i found really annoying when i reversed my Evoque into safety barrier on a cold day - huge fractures to the plastic tailgate, no damage at all to any fitting except the number plate and number plate light but I had to have a complete new tailgate, supposedly supplied with all the parts pre-installed - basically unscrew damaged one and screw on a new replacement - keeps the labour charges down, but it still cost £1600 and I paid out of my pocket rather than claiming for it on insurance. Butr also a load of perfectly usable camera/ lights/ antena and wiper all got binned - terribly wasteful and not very environmentally friendly, but if those bits were stripped off the damaged tailgate then I should at least have been offered their value in a refund or as part exchange

You're so right, just got the repair estimate from the dealer they're replacing everything like for like, total £1,500 Shocked
I am asking them to look again at reusing the areo fin,brake light, etc but not looking promising...
Now to break the news to the neighbour

Dynamic Si4 Auto 5dr, Orkney Grey, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Powered open & close Tailgate, 20” Gloss black wheels
04-01-2014 01:00pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MarkA_

(04-01-2014 12:41pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  It won't matter as I suspect your dealer will buy a complete spoiler with everything already installed.
This was what i found really annoying when i reversed my Evoque into safety barrier on a cold day - huge fractures to the plastic tailgate, no damage at all to any fitting except the number plate and number plate light but I had to have a complete new tailgate, supposedly supplied with all the parts pre-installed - basically unscrew damaged one and screw on a new replacement - keeps the labour charges down, but it still cost £1600 and I paid out of my pocket rather than claiming for it on insurance. Butr also a load of perfectly usable camera/ lights/ antena and wiper all got binned - terribly wasteful and not very environmentally friendly, but if those bits were stripped off the damaged tailgate then I should at least have been offered their value in a refund or as part exchange

Were you given the option of keeping the old tailgate so you could break it yourself and sell the parts on fleabay?

I would have just asked for "a replacement tailgate" therefore they would have had to give you the old one back?

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2014 01:10pm by MarkA_.)
04-01-2014 01:10pm
mark_n

It would be interesting to know whether the same is true of doors - if you need a new door, does it come with the window glass and all the rest installed?

There is a certain logic to doing it in that the labour involved in removing all the parts and transferring them over will be significant - far more than the labour involved in making it in the first place. Also, a tailgate would be awkward to work on without the jigs and frames to hold it in place to avoid it getting damaged. Then factor in the possibility of water leaks, rattles, electrical malfunctions and other gremlins and it's a bit of a no-brainer.

If you've paid for a new tailgate, there should be no problem getting the old one back, though I can't imagine what you'd do with it.

Can't imagine the person with the fireworks will be especially pleased and I doubt any public liability insurance would cover it.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
05-01-2014 05:37am
vinny

If they do return the old tailgate and parts it should become property of your neighbour I would think?
If not I call first dibs on the lip aerofin!!Very Happy

My order- fuji white sd4 manual coupe,tech pack,xenons,style 6 20's,pano roof,privacy,front fogs,rear camera,folding mirrors,ebony int/ivory headliner,dec delivery.(still waiting!) Collected 14/01/2012
NOW SOLD as of 26/07/14 Very Happy
Now driving Audi SQ5, everything the Evoque should of been.
05-01-2014 11:30am
MarkA_

(05-01-2014 05:37am)mark_n Wrote:  If you've paid for a new tailgate, there should be no problem getting the old one back, though I can't imagine what you'd do with it.

Break it for parts? (locks, glass, trim etc etc)?

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2014 01:35pm by MarkA_.)
05-01-2014 01:35pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

One thing I have found is that the plastic panels become very brittle in colder weather - goodness knows how the present Arctic temperatures in parts of the USA will cause the plastic bits to react! It was a very cold March day that helped make my tailgate experience far worse than I think it might have been on a warm day

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2014 04:55pm by XFullFatTim.)
05-01-2014 04:54pm
mark_n

Looking at the parts list, the rear spoiler is selected from 20 variants which depend on the radio/TV support, 3 or 5 door and so on. Typical cost is about £700 and that is unpainted. The tailgate without spoiler is about the same but again it will be unpainted.

In Tim's case, it sounds like he had a new tailgate and they moved the spoiler across. In the OP's case, it might be they are just replacing the spoiler though how they reach £1500, I do not know.

I can't see you could replace the entire tailgate AND spoiler, painted and fitted for "only" £1500 - £1800.

As for whether the replacement tailgate includes things like the glass, wiper motor, locking mechanism, number plate light and all the rest, I do not know without more digging but I expect in fact not.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
06-01-2014 07:51am