Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Manual Gearbox
J77

RE: Manual Gearbox

Manual TD4 for me, I found the manual to be very smooth and a bit more of a sports car feel.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
21-09-2011 08:12pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MW73

Got the auto sd4 - first auto ever owned and I'm very pleased with it especially with the 'manual' flappy paddles which makes the car surprisingly quick in 'sport' mode!
21-09-2011 08:30pm
Pricy147

Manual all day long for me - wasnt impressed by the autobox on test drive. Lower tax, and better economy, and lower initial price are all winners.

Personally would never touch an automatic - even DSG. I like the sensation of 'driving' the car! Wink

Current Cars:

- TTRS Roadster | Phantom Black | Aluminium Pack | Bose | Ipod Dock | 19" Titanium Grey Alloys | Through Load Facility
- Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Coupe | Firenze Red | Panoramic Roof | Towbar | Satin Brushed Centre Console

[Image: 4fasq.jpg]
22-09-2011 04:03pm
griff

Yep that's why F1 cars are all automatics with flappy paddles

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
(This post was last modified: 22-09-2011 04:07pm by griff.)
22-09-2011 04:05pm
Pricy147

(22-09-2011 04:05pm)griff Wrote:  Yep that's why F1 cars are all automatics with flappy paddles

Thats cos of the quicker gear changes. Doesnt mean it feels right.....Wink

Current Cars:

- TTRS Roadster | Phantom Black | Aluminium Pack | Bose | Ipod Dock | 19" Titanium Grey Alloys | Through Load Facility
- Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Coupe | Firenze Red | Panoramic Roof | Towbar | Satin Brushed Centre Console

[Image: 4fasq.jpg]
22-09-2011 04:10pm
griff

Know and appreciate what you mean but I must confess that driving my BMW with paddles is a joy quicker than I could change with a manual
But each to their own Wink

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
22-09-2011 04:15pm
M30 EVO

Manual for me...... always enjoyed the auto in larger LR's such as Disco, but manual just feels more appropriate for the evoque, bit more engaging to drive maybe. Plus the theoretically lower fuel consumption and lower purchase price Smile

On order: Dynamic SD4 Manual Coupe, Orkney Grey, Black Roof, Privacy Glass, Vortex Int, Ebony Headlining.

Delivery: Was 25/11/11, Currently 28/12/11..............
22-09-2011 04:19pm
PhilSkill

Manual for me too, just like to have control, but can see where an auto can be better for town driving and for the gadgets like park assist. But then if you eed park assist you probably need an Auto Laughing

F1 cars have sequential barrel gearboxes with interlocking dog rings, not H pattern manual or viscous coupled Auto boxes, no comparison can be made there just cause there's paddles on the steering wheel.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
22-09-2011 08:58pm
sercos

Manual for me too. Less expensive, less emissions, more mpg and more control (onroad at least, offroad I'm not so sure and probably not).

I probably would go for auto if the auto gearbox were sequential dual-clutch style like VAG or BMW.

But there's still something about the 0-60 mph timing difference between the auto and manual that I can't understand. I know that this question has already been posted elsewhere but I didn't find a clear explanation. How is possible that the auto is 1.5 sec quicker than the manual? It seems to me that 1.5 is too much difference and I don't know about any other car with such a difference between auto and manual. Maybe some of you could help clarifying. Thanks in advance !!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arrived: Pure coupe SD4 Fuji White with auto lights and wipers, xenon, leather, pano roof, fogs and style 2 18s.
Gone: Audi TT 2.0T manual gearshift
22-09-2011 09:56pm
PhilSkill

Auto has 8 gears and Manual 6 so lower ratios, might be some of the reason...

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
22-09-2011 10:12pm