Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Machine Polishing On New Evoque
stef.c

Machine Polishing On New Evoque

I'm looking at getting the car detailed by a respectable and experienced detailer. Only thing Im slightly wary of is the machine polishing.

This is a normal procedure in their 'New Car Protection Detail' and I've been told not worry as it is very light and the machine is used on its softest setting.

Does any one have any experience or cautionary tales about this? I am still a little worried despite his reassurances as I am aware that the machine polish will take a small amount of clear coat off. TBH I'm not sure there is a massive call for this given that the car is brand new, and yes I know that not all new cars can come in tip top condition.

I've had a bad experience machine polishing my old car which left it in a bit of a state and I;m sure more susceptible to scratches and the like as I think they went overboard. While Im not suggesting that this chap will go that far I don't want to do anything destructive to the paintwork no matter how minimal as again, it is new...

He offered to hand polish the car to achieve the same effect but can this be potentially just as abrasive?

Arrived: Range Rover Evoque Prestige SD4 5 door in Fuji White & Vibe Interior. Extras: Lux Pack, Adaptive Dynamics, Rear Entertainment, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Ebony Headlining, Adaptive Xenon, Hi Beam Asssist, Privacy Glass, Homelink, Heated Steering.
13-04-2012 02:22pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Machine Polishing On New Evoque

I'm no Valeter, but sure one will be along shortly... but you should find out what polish he'll use and what polishing pad if you're worried, I would expect he'll only use a finishing polish and pad which are extreemly fine, doubt he'd use a cutting polish on a new car. It'll just finely tune any orage peel or imperfactions in the finish to give a better shine and surface for the sealant.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
13-04-2012 02:38pm
stef.c

(13-04-2012 02:38pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  I'm no Valeter, but sure one will be along shortly... but you should find out what polish he'll use and what polishing pad if you're worried, I would expect he'll only use a finishing polish and pad which are extreemly fine, doubt he'd use a cutting polish on a new car. It'll just finely tune any orage peel or imperfactions in the finish to give a better shine and surface for the sealant.

He does say he'll use an "ultra fine, micro abrasive pre wax cleanser pad on the lowest setting" and that it won't remove even 1 micron of clearcoat. He also says he only uses a "dual action polisher as opposed to a rotary polisher which is used for correction details."

He does seem very conscientious and a perfectionist but I just DONT want to damage or cut into the paint at the moment as it is new. I can see the point further down the line to machine polish when it has perhaps picked up more swirls and fine scratches. Am I being over worried about this?

The sealant he will use is 3 coats of Zaino.

Arrived: Range Rover Evoque Prestige SD4 5 door in Fuji White & Vibe Interior. Extras: Lux Pack, Adaptive Dynamics, Rear Entertainment, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Ebony Headlining, Adaptive Xenon, Hi Beam Asssist, Privacy Glass, Homelink, Heated Steering.
13-04-2012 03:00pm
PhilSkill

It'll be fine if he's an experienced valeter he's just preparing the finish for a sealant not cutting into it, a da polisher is gentler than a rotary and quite difficult to do any damage with, unlike a rotary where you can cut into the paint easily.

You have options... trust the guy, choose someone else, or dont get it done and/or do it yourself!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
14-04-2012 12:10am
stef.c

(14-04-2012 12:10am)PhilSkill Wrote:  It'll be fine if he's an experienced valeter he's just preparing the finish for a sealant not cutting into it, a da polisher is gentler than a rotary and quite difficult to do any damage with, unlike a rotary where you can cut into the paint easily.

You have options... trust the guy, choose someone else, or dont get it done and/or do it yourself!

It's a tricky one. Like they say, once bitten twice shy...

I do trust him but not sure if we are sacrificing a bit of top coat seal in order to get a better finish. Again, I dont see it being necessary to cut into the paint given that it is brand new.

However if this style of da machine polishing truly is just a very mild buff and not going to be abrasive then that's fine. I just need some more reassurance before I take the plunge. I've asked some other pro valetsrs who all say that they would prefer not to use machine polishing on a new vehicle. However I want to use this guy because of his rep and the fact he does mobile valeting.

As I said the other option was for him to 'hand polish to produce the same effect' but can this potentially be abrasive as well? Should I ask what polish he's using?

14-04-2012 09:30am
doug

I would say that as long as his using a glaze or non cutting polish with a DA polisher fitted with a finishing pad running at a low/mid speed any new paint would not be harmed as long as the paint is at least two weeks old.
But DON'T POLISH AROUND ANY EDGES, the paint there is very very fin.
If polishing by hand, there's just as mush risk, if not more, as the pressure isn't constant.

As it's been said before, you only get a finish like a "show car" if the base work is done first.
The paint finish needs to be at it's best & fully cleaned (IPA) before applying two costs of wax or sealant.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
14-04-2012 10:48am
moonigan

The detailer should only need to use the least abrasive pad/polish combo to get good results. I used a non abrasive polish on my car and the results were very good. One thing worth noting is that white will hide any marring created using the polisher so it will be hard to see if the detailer has been heavy handed anywhere. The whole point of a new car detail to get the paintwork in tip top condition as it certainly doesnt leave the forecourt in good nick.

What are you hoping to get out of the detail? You need to remember the results on a flat white car will not be as spectacular as a metallic paint finish so I would be looking for a simple polish and seal combination and avoiding the expensive carnuba wax solution.
14-04-2012 01:35pm
finestdetail

Hi Stef.c,

Do not worry, if this guy is an experienced detailer he will know what he is doing, by the sounds of things, depending on what type of protection you are going for product wise, they all have there own brand pre-wax cleaners or prep products that are extremely safe to use and provide enough micro abrasives to add gloss and to remove any little imperfections that are sat on the surface.

Using a DA polisher is again a safe way to achieve a great result, because of the oscillating movement you don't get these Holograms or buffer trails you tend to see when a car has been polished poorly with a rotary polisher. It is also alot alot alot harder to burn or damage paintwork unless you have it on the highest speed with the hardest cutting pad and polish!

Iv been detailing for nearly 7 years now and when doing a new car detail I always run a DA polisher over the paintwork, using a polishing foam pad and a cleaner/Pre-wax fluid to ensure I achieve the best finish possible before applying the protection coating, as even new cars have imperfections in them and 9/10 it really improves the clarity in the paint and helps to reduce in some cases orange peel. I would recommend highly he uses the DA as he will achieve a better finish than he would by hand, unless he has arms the size of Arnie in his day!

if your unsure of anything or want to ask me any questions just fire me a PM!

Adam
(This post was last modified: 14-04-2012 01:44pm by finestdetail.)
14-04-2012 01:38pm
stef.c

(14-04-2012 01:35pm)moonigan Wrote:  The detailer should only need to use the least abrasive pad/polish combo to get good results. I used a non abrasive polish on my car and the results were very good. One thing worth noting is that white will hide any marring created using the polisher so it will be hard to see if the detailer has been heavy handed anywhere. The whole point of a new car detail to get the paintwork in tip top condition as it certainly doesnt leave the forecourt in good nick.

What are you hoping to get out of the detail? You need to remember the results on a flat white car will not be as spectacular as a metallic paint finish so I would be looking for a simple polish and seal combination and avoiding the expensive carnuba wax solution.

Thats the thing. I'm not hoping for a vast improvement to the cars paint. I just want a good protection on it. I feel that some detailers want to machine polish to provide a WOW or give a great impact BUT at the expense of paint depth and topcoat protection so therefore overall longevity.

I am still worried that it is a bit heavy handed/unnecessary for a new car...

Surely the Zaino sealant could be applied without the machine polish or abrasive hand polish?

(This post was last modified: 16-04-2012 12:51pm by stef.c.)
16-04-2012 12:47pm
whizzer

Whos the detailer ? - It depends they can lay down an AIO to prep the surface and they lay down a wax or sealent but if they are doing a light correction first to omit any marring etc to obtain the best finish for you by means of a light polish and they going to apply the zaino by the sounds of it
(This post was last modified: 16-04-2012 01:00pm by whizzer.)
16-04-2012 12:59pm