Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Machine Polishing On New Evoque
stef.c

RE: Machine Polishing On New Evoque

(16-04-2012 12:59pm)whizzer Wrote:  Whos the detailer ? - It depends they can lay down an AIO to prep the surface and they lay down a wax or sealent but if they are doing a light correction first to omit any marring etc to obtain the best finish for you by means of a light polish and they going to apply the zaino by the sounds of it

I just want to know if machine polishing will be removing a significant layer of topcoat really. If it really is extremely soft if used on the lowest setting with a da and doesn't impact much at all on the depth then I guess that is OK. I am just being very careful that I don't end up with paint thats half as durable/thick as it should be.

I've been told lots of different things. Some detailers say they avoid this as it always burnishes away some of the topcoat and will only do it if necessary. Some others are more prone to doing it on a new car detail.

Aaaaaarrrrgh! Who's right?

Arrived: Range Rover Evoque Prestige SD4 5 door in Fuji White & Vibe Interior. Extras: Lux Pack, Adaptive Dynamics, Rear Entertainment, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Ebony Headlining, Adaptive Xenon, Hi Beam Asssist, Privacy Glass, Homelink, Heated Steering.
16-04-2012 01:08pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

All polishing removes something, that's how polishes work, it's down to how fine the polish and application method is, the finer it is the less smoothing and therefore removing of the top coat. As said above the edges will suffer most from any polishing as they are easier to take the brunt of the polishing and harder to have had paint applied in the first place.

I have only Sealed and Waxed mine myself, I have a DA polisher but don't feel the need even if it could be made a fractionally better finish.

You sound so worried about this, i'm surprised you are getting it done really, but in reality if the guy knows what he's doing it'll be fine... and if you're getting it done it's because you want the best finish.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
16-04-2012 02:00pm
Donny Dog

(16-04-2012 01:08pm)stef.c Wrote:  I just want to know if machine polishing will be removing a significant layer of topcoat really. If it really is extremely soft if used on the lowest setting with a da and doesn't impact much at all on the depth then I guess that is OK. I am just being very careful that I don't end up with paint thats half as durable/thick as it should be.

I've been told lots of different things. Some detailers say they avoid this as it always burnishes away some of the topcoat and will only do it if necessary. Some others are more prone to doing it on a new car detail.

Aaaaaarrrrgh! Who's right?

Play safe, and wait three months (by which time the paint will have hardened as much as it's going to) and have it detailed then. (To be fair, you may be worrying unnecessarily - most people don't even know that their car has got 'swirls' and the like until someone points it out to them, and most damage is probably caused by poor washing technique by the owner anyway).
16-04-2012 02:10pm
stef.c

(16-04-2012 02:10pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  Play safe, and wait three months (by which time the paint will have hardened as much as it's going to) and have it detailed then. (To be fair, you may be worrying unnecessarily - most people don't even know that their car has got 'swirls' and the like until someone points it out to them, and most damage is probably caused by poor washing technique by the owner anyway).

I wouldn't be so worried if I hadn't had a bad experience with this already. Plus as this is the first new car I've owned and a massive leap from my last one, I would never forgive myself if I let something happen that c@Cked it up. Yes I'm being careful but I think thats fair enough really.

The dilemma I have is that I want the car paint protected as they do at the dealerships but didn't want them to mess it up or be charged exorbitant prices. So I've got a pro detailer to come in. But what I'm not really wanting is the paint cut back with machine polishing as this is something you can't really put right if its gone wrong. Its putting a lot of faith in the guy. Just not sure I want to take the risk thats all. But when I ask him its either that or hand polishing which can potentially produce the same results Im told (excessive top coat removal). I'm probably being overly worried but 48K is just too much of a gamble for me.

Arrived: Range Rover Evoque Prestige SD4 5 door in Fuji White & Vibe Interior. Extras: Lux Pack, Adaptive Dynamics, Rear Entertainment, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Ebony Headlining, Adaptive Xenon, Hi Beam Asssist, Privacy Glass, Homelink, Heated Steering.
(This post was last modified: 16-04-2012 03:50pm by stef.c.)
16-04-2012 03:25pm
Donny Dog

(16-04-2012 03:25pm)stef.c Wrote:  I wouldn't be so worried if I hadn't had a bad experience with this already. Plus as this is the first new car I've owned and a massive leap from my last one, I would never forgive myself if I let something happen that c@Cked it up. Yes I'm being careful but I think thats fair enough really.

The dilemma I have is that I want the car paint protected as they do at the dealerships but didn't want them to mess it up or be charged exorbitant prices. So I've got a pro detailer to come in. But what I'm not really wanting is the paint cut back with machine polishing as this is something you can't really put right if its gone wrong. Its putting a lot of faith in the guy. Just not sure I want to take the risk thats all. But when I ask him its either that or hand polishing which can potentially produce the same results Im told (excessive top coat removal). I'm probably being overly worried but 48K is just too much of a gamble for me.

He will be able to detail it just as well after three months, when the paint is fully hardened, then there's no gamble at all (assuming he's reputable).
16-04-2012 04:15pm
whizzer

(16-04-2012 03:25pm)stef.c Wrote:  I wouldn't be so worried if I hadn't had a bad experience with this already. Plus as this is the first new car I've owned and a massive leap from my last one, I would never forgive myself if I let something happen that c@Cked it up. Yes I'm being careful but I think thats fair enough really.

If you are that worried if using Zaino ask him to AIO it by hand and the follow it by z5. A very light machine polish should not effect the topcoat to any major defect . But be aware if they dont machine polish it then if there is marring/ small scratches then these will be sealed in so to say - pm if you want any more info
17-04-2012 12:40pm