Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Locked Evoque or so I thought
RREVO

Locked Evoque or so I thought

The wife just noticed some money (cash for parking etc) and a pair of sunglasses have disappeared from inside our Evoque last night. She swears she'd locked the car.

Now here's the thing. It's happened before Shocked

On the the first occasion (& in a different location) I was responsible for locking the car which I definitely remembered doing(always double locked). But when I returned in the morning to the car it was unlocked and the parking money gone but nothing else touched. I thought "how come". But after this latest incident I'm thinking how safe is the Evoques locking system. I'm aware it's possible that someone nearby can scan the remote code but don't they have to be in line of sight when the car is about to be locked?
Anyone else had a similar thing with the locking system or lack off.

Dynamic Si4 Auto 5dr, Orkney Grey, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Powered open & close Tailgate, 20” Gloss black wheels
04-04-2014 03:31pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Locked Evoque or so I thought

This won't help you but if you have InControl Remote and Secure you can see remotely if the car is locked or not, unfortunately you cannot lock it from the app.

[Image: 2209AC8D-CB50-4563-AC5C-80E2B2C96BD9_zpseqzpdol1-1.jpg]

[Image: 694B7EE8-C7B1-4B05-9058-1EE0E103A72F_zpsnhogtv9o.jpg]
There is also another screen that tells you the car is locked and alarmed and where it is parked

this screen can be viewed anywhere where you can get a wifi link for your mobile internet device

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2014 10:08am by XFullFatTim.)
04-04-2014 03:43pm
jvz567

(04-04-2014 03:31pm)RREVO Wrote:  The wife just noticed some money (cash for parking etc) and a pair of sunglasses have disappeared from inside our Evoque last night. She swears she'd locked the car.

Now here's the thing. It's happened before Shocked

On the the first occasion (& in a different location) I was responsible for locking the car which I definitely remembered doing(always double locked). But when I returned in the morning to the car it was unlocked and the parking money gone but nothing else touched. I thought "how come". But after this latest incident I'm thinking how safe is the Evoques locking system. I'm aware it's possible that someone nearby can scan the remote code but don't they have to be in line of sight when the car is about to be locked?
Anyone else had a similar thing with the locking system or lack off.

In South Africa is is now common for a criminal to operate an ordinary garage or electric gate remote opener at the same time you lock your vehicle. It may reverse the legal vehicle remote. Owner walks away thinking vehicle is locked - but it's not...bogus operator removes valuables without sign of forced entry and insurance subsequently does not want to pay. After locking my vehicle with remote I routine try a few doors by hand before walking away. Feel even more wary with "comfort access"...if this is the case it happened- expect an increase in this type of theft. Hope this helps.
05-04-2014 06:16am
LaserTam

^^ I have 'heard' of this before. We too have had someone inside the car overnight whilst parked outside. Whilst Mrs LT was sure it was locked, my CCTV system proved differently (power mirrors were not tucked in). Fortunately nothing removed (nothing to steal frankly) and no damage. Police come and took copy of the CCTV footage and took prints etc, but nothing more happened.
Needless to say I check the mirrors every night and winge when the car is left unlocked. Sooo wish I had a double garage.

Born 28th June - Pure Tech 2.2 eD4 Manual in Santorini Black, Pano roof, Cirrus leather, style 6 wheels, rear camera, power mirrors, auto dim RVM
05-04-2014 07:22am
Hotwheelsvespa

There used to be remote grabbers years ago when the signal sent was always the same, however as far as I know modern alarms send a new signal every time you use it to combat that problem, unless someone has cloned one of your remotes perhaps check with LR to see if a spare key has been issued?
05-04-2014 09:22am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Today they use what are called "rolling codes" and to get around them what the crims do is follow you down the street as the transmitter is in your pocket and always sending out a very weak RF signal looking for the car. They pick this up and retransmit it via a transponder to a mate who can save the signal code. Remember that we all tend to point the fob and press lock as we walk away from the car, we don't tend to notice if the car has sent a mis-lock flash of the lights back as we are not paying attention, even looking the other way! It just takes something like the bonnet to be not fully down or the boot not fully closed to create a mis-lock situation and they are not always apparent when you look at the car.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
05-04-2014 09:31am
Hotwheelsvespa

That is a worry!!!
05-04-2014 09:36am
m_101

I actually have stopped pointing the remote when locking since getting a key I don't need to take out of my pocket and put in an ignition. I just press the button in my pocket. Pure laziness. I have to say I do always press it until I get the audible lock warning though. Also, you know that small pocket in your right jeans pocket that you never knew what it was for? Turns out it's for an evoque key - fits perfectly in all of my jeans!

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
05-04-2014 12:09pm
cjfp

Can't get my Evoque key in that pocket as it is full of (out of date) 'Saturday night just in case I get lucky' items! Wink

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
05-04-2014 01:57pm
mighTTy-RRE

On my Audi, I was regularly unlocking it by having the keys in my pocket when sat at home, even worse a long press also lowers the windows (normally on a very wet night) fortunately with the car behind locked gates.

I must admit I have not unlocked the Evoque accidentally with the keys in my pocket however it is theoretically possible. Having the touch sensitive locking on the Evoque, I have got in the habit of locking it this way to hopefully prevent any keycodes being captured.
06-04-2014 06:28pm