Both
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Keyless entry or power tailgate.
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Keyless entry or power tailgate.

The engine will continue running if you walk away with the fob in your pocket and the engine still on.

I had my doubts about the value of BOTH options! The keyless entry only works within 1m of the sensor (under the steering column) however it will allow the boot to be opened from the button on the tailgate which is more than 1m from the steering column. The electric tailgate is brilliant, you can set it up to open to the full range of the gas struts or only part way or you can stop it part way along the opening distance. With the keyless entry and the electric tailgate you can open just the tailgate by remote control on the fob without unlocking any other doors and when you reclose the boot the car will deadlock again, as afar as I have found it is impossible to lock your key fob in the boot if you have keyless entry because if the fob is inside the car any of the doors can be opened.

You get 2 fobs with the car and each contains an emergency "key" built into the chromed section of the fob for if you should suffer a flat battery with the car locked. There is only a single "conventional" lock that the key will go into, hidden under the door pull of the front passenger door

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2011 10:43am by XFullFatTim.)
08-10-2011 10:42am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ant

As per Tim's post. I have both and they are both fantastic. I haven't used the fob from handover time. I just walk up to the car and open the door. Touch any door handle and walk away. open and close the tailggate with no effort whatsoever. Mucho convenienco.
ANT

Prestige, 5 dr, SD4 Auto, Firenze, Lux, Ambience, Adaptive Dynamics, (+other options).
Current cars: Evoque: 1972 Stag: 2008 C4 Grand Picasso x 2: 2004 Defender 110: LDV flatbed (for moving the Stag)
Gone: Aston Martin DB9Crying, RRS, FFRR x 5, Classic Minis x loads, 1987 Defender 110.
08-10-2011 01:38pm
Spiderman

These are all great inventions and when they work they are brilliant, however, as with most things electrical they will suffer the occasional glitch & start playing up....then it won't be 'mucho convenienco' Ant, it'll be more like 'mucho paininthearseo'.

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
08-10-2011 01:44pm
ant

Hehe - I agree - lets hope for no electrical gramlins. Seems that reliability is better than the "old days".
ANT

Prestige, 5 dr, SD4 Auto, Firenze, Lux, Ambience, Adaptive Dynamics, (+other options).
Current cars: Evoque: 1972 Stag: 2008 C4 Grand Picasso x 2: 2004 Defender 110: LDV flatbed (for moving the Stag)
Gone: Aston Martin DB9Crying, RRS, FFRR x 5, Classic Minis x loads, 1987 Defender 110.
08-10-2011 01:48pm
Spiderman

So far so good Ant, Ive covered 800+ pleasure only driving miles in the last 3 weeks in my Evoque and it has been absolutely flawless, I am very impressed by the Evoque and hope this situation continues. The same is true of my wife's 1year old FL2, it has also been faultless and as these are both from the same factory I am hoping the built quality issues of yesteryear LR is a thing of the past as it's great to be able to buy & own a home grown quality British car...

I have owned every LR product over the last 30 years and aside from a few electrical error message issues on my current FFRR, I have been incredibly fortunate as all have been amazing cars to own in their own right providing they are regularly serviced and looked after. All must remember that these cars are filled to the brim with electrics and technology so they need care and as long as you do this you should be fortunate also.

If any of you do suffer electrical gremlins I suggest you follow this quick electrical rebooting procedure from inside the car to see if it clears your fault....switch off, lock car, unlock car, open car door, shut car door & switch on, as this has always worked for me...

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
08-10-2011 02:45pm
XFullFatTim

I've just modified the poll to include a "Both" option.
So far there is only one "gizmo" on my car that I haven't found to be really useful - surround cam. TBH if it weren't part of the the Lux pack I wouldn't miss it, I haven't had it on previous Land Rovers and have managed fine without it. It's nice to have but it is fiddly to navigate through all the menus to get to the kerb or junction views, might as well just use your eyes because if anything happens at the end of the day and you come to grief I suspect the insurance company wouldn't take to kindly to your saying you were watching the TV screen and didn't see the car coming that you pulled out in front of.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2011 04:10pm by XFullFatTim.)
08-10-2011 04:08pm
mark_n

I think the surround cam will be more useful for low speed stuff. I saw in on a Disco 4 and thought it excellent. If it avoids graunched wheels and scuffed bumpers, it will be worth it. That said, I have never driven an Evoque so don't know the navigation issues Tim refers to.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
08-10-2011 08:45pm
ytshome

If any of you do suffer electrical gremlins I suggest you follow this quick electrical rebooting procedure from inside the car to see if it clears your fault....switch off, lock car, unlock car, open car door, shut car door & switch on, as this has always worked for me...
[/quote]

Nice one Spidey. Hope I don't need it but knowledge is power....well done!

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
08-10-2011 09:19pm
XFullFatTim

Just pulling off the road, switch off for 15-20 seconds and restarting is often enough to reboot the ECUs too, if you have to persistently do this though it's best to either call out the Land Rover Assist service or get the car into a dealership service bay to look in the ECU fault log as there is sometimes something logged in the file that can indicate a problem

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2011 09:40pm by XFullFatTim.)
08-10-2011 09:39pm