Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
LED Dome and Rear Bulbs
Cedric

RE: LED Dome and Rear Bulbs

(26-01-2012 04:45pm)cjfp Wrote:  i) as my car is red and I have my ambient lighting set to red, I have replaced the courtesy interior bulbs (the ones that come on when you unlock the car) with red leds - I think it looks good but I'm sure there will be those on here that won't [and no doubt they'll tell me so].

Pictures or it didn't happen! Smile
26-01-2012 04:58pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LIONHEAD

I've had LEDs for about 5 years now on previous cars and I've had no issues. Like Slee18 said, LEDs draws lower wattage which is actually better with less heat. Only thing that I could think about is damaging the connectors when installing the bulbs but you will need to really push hard to do that. If something did go wrong.....the dealer can definetly void warranty as it's a risk for any aftermarket part but for me it's a very low risk imo.

cjfp: I would love to see the red LED courtesy light. Cool Just becareful.....it might get annoying after awhile. I had blue footwell bulbs in my jag but had to replace them after a month as they were just too annoying for me. Laughing I also had a similar problem....after installing all the bulbs in the dome and they were all working, I closed the plastic panel and they didn't work. I was pressing all 3 dome lights and I must have presed the middle for 2 seconds (per your info above) and it started working again. Very Happy

Also, when installing the passenger side footwell....becareful not to twist the connector/socket. When I was removing the oem bulb, I must have twisted the socket and it fell through the opening. I had to remove the 3 clips that holds the carpet lining to reach in and retreave the connector so I can push it back down into the hole.
(This post was last modified: 26-01-2012 05:06pm by LIONHEAD.)
26-01-2012 05:06pm
cjfp

OK - just done the rears and here is how i got the plastic off (I take no responsiblity for any damage you guys might make blah blah blah.)

These are the tools I used. My plastic one wasn't quite firm enough to do the job so I had to resort the metal one, however, it didn't leave any marks.

Lionhead is correct in his statement about the lug - however, I couldn't get enough movement in anything to get the plastic cover out when going in here. Instead I inserted my tool (fnarr) where the arrow is on the above picture and slowly levered out. This puts enough flex into the cover itself (rather than the trim) and the lug comes out of its hole and voila, access to bulb. I will warn that whilst this movement didn't cause any harm etc, it did mean I had to be committment into the movement (ie it still doesn't pop out easily, but go just past that "sh!t" point and out it comes).

As to the Belgium cynic ( Laughing ) let me just pop and take photos.

OK, here goes.

Front courtesy light

Front courtesy light with white map reading lights

Picture from seat into footwell

Picture from footwell up towards the bulb [not a great pic]

Rear courtesy light

I can hear someone at the back laughing! Wink
(26-01-2012 05:06pm)LIONHEAD Wrote:  cjfp: I would love to see the red LED courtesy light. Cool Just becareful.....it might get annoying after awhile. I had blue footwell bulbs in my jag but had to replace them after a month as they were just too annoying for me. Laughing I also had a similar problem....after installing all the bulbs in the dome and they were all working, I closed the plastic panel and they didn't work. I was pressing all 3 dome lights and I must have presed the middle for 2 seconds (per your info above) and it started working again. Very Happy

Also, when installing the passenger side footwell....becareful not to twist the connector/socket. When I was removing the oem bulb, I must have twisted the socket and it fell through the opening. I had to remove the 3 clips that holds the carpet lining to reach in and retreave the connector so I can push it back down into the hole.

If it gets annoying I'll replace it, but as they are only on when you unlock the car then it should be ok.

Re the last bit, didn't read your post prior to the works but luckily no issues arose. I did find that one of the footwell sockets was in place 'solidly' but the other less so [can't remember which, brain of a goldfish] - as I noticed this fairly early on in the procedure I do take things easy (which is very unlike me!)
and final point, they are all standard led bulbs, not canbus.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
(This post was last modified: 26-01-2012 05:38pm by cjfp.)
26-01-2012 05:22pm
bell-auto-services

For people who can not find anything fine eniough to slip in between the lense and the outer plastic of the front dome light this works with the Stanley knife blades, rock them forwards towards the screen and out popped the lense.

I did my rear ones the same as cjfp and also found the same that the plastic trim tools i have are a little to soft so out came the metal one Smile

I use the LED's in the picture below that ive had for the last 4 years in all my cars.

Pete

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

TV/DVD-On-The-Move modules available from £145+ £10 UK mainland shipping Excluding higlands and Islands.
(This post was last modified: 26-01-2012 05:59pm by bell-auto-services.)
26-01-2012 05:57pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EVO PUNDITT

That's what I call PIMP MY RIDE Whistle NICEEEEE!watch out for the vice squadEmbarrassed

Pure: SD4,Manual,pan roof,electric tail gate,reversing cam,tints,xenons (finally), 19" style 4 and in orkney grey 5 door,ebony headliner,f/s/mirrors,Nov build and Dec arrived
26-01-2012 07:00pm
Westy

These look great why LR don't fit them as standard like the Germans do is beyond me

Can someone tell me are the two footwell bulbs the push in 501 type bulbs or are they the festoon types

The clear white look is so much cleaner

Nice simple mod that does not cost the earth, great thread Very Happy

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
28-01-2012 12:57am
cjfp

Footwells are the same T10 as per the other interior lights, except for 37mm Festoon in boot.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
28-01-2012 07:06am
gw76

Ok- will go and give the main dome lights another go (credit card and stanley blades in hand)
I feel some damage coming on.....
28-01-2012 12:07pm
bell-auto-services

gw76
Put the blades in as far as they can go about 5mm in the location shows in Lionheads arrow picture, once in bend them towards the screen and the lens will pop out at that side.

Then pull the lense down slightly to get your fingers in to change the bulbs, as said the lense does not come all the way off so only make space for your finders.

Since my fingers are like thumbs lol, I uses a pair of small nose plyers with masking tape on to grab the old 501 bulb out.

Pete

TV/DVD-On-The-Move modules available from £145+ £10 UK mainland shipping Excluding higlands and Islands.
28-01-2012 01:01pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gw76

Disaster ! Absolutely solid and wouldnt budge, final push and crack ! at one side of plastic and now touch sensitive central light doesnt operate (except with opening doors).and ive marked the plastic just to add to it. I give up... Sad Sad Everyone else be careful.
28-01-2012 01:39pm