Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Keyless Evoques can be Stolen within minutes
fam1x

Keyless Evoques can be Stolen within minutes

This has been in the news a few months back, was in the Metro newspaper this week again. It seems thieves use technology used by breakdown services to bypass locks.

Are you guys concern of these recent development? I've not heard anything from Land Rover about any the security updates for keyless Evoques.

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
16-01-2015 09:29pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JavierBayArea

RE: Keyless Evoques can be Stolen within minutes

that's what insurance is for Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
16-01-2015 10:22pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

As a result of the Watchdog item all Land Rover owners with cars fitted with keyless entry were told to take their cars along to a dealer to get them checked for unauthorised keys registered in the system. You need to take both key bobs and the car. Suggestion was also to fit an addition layer or two of security such as the old fashioned Diskloc or one of those bars that clamps across the steering wheel and prevents it being turned. The theory being that thieves only come equipped with laptops and memory sticks these day and not hack saws and big screw drivers..............
Advice also was NEVER to leave your keys with Valet Parking staff or with staff at long term carparks such as at airports - doing so could invalidate your insurance as you knowingly have handed your keys to a total stranger......

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 17-01-2015 03:21am by XFullFatTim.)
17-01-2015 03:18am
Tony

(17-01-2015 03:18am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  As a result of the Watchdog item all Land Rover owners with cars fitted with keyless entry were told to take their cars along to a dealer to get them checked for unauthorised keys registered in the system. You need to take both key bobs and the car. Suggestion was also to fit an addition layer or two of security such as the old fashioned Diskloc or one of those bars that clamps across the steering wheel and prevents it being turned. The theory being that thieves only come equipped with laptops and memory sticks these day and not hack saws and big screw drivers..............
Advice also was NEVER to leave your keys with Valet Parking staff or with staff at long term carparks such as at airports - doing so could invalidate your insurance as you knowingly have handed your keys to a total stranger......

I have not had any contact from LR or the dealer re: checking for unauthorised keys etc. When I quized the dealer their reply was 'we know nothing about security problems'.

If mine got nicked before its 12 months old it would be a blessing as the insurance will pay out full replacement value. Even with a potential hit on the NCB it would still be far far better than the joke px values I've had.

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
17-01-2015 11:02am
J77

My Disco Sport is coming with keyless entry, not something I would spec, it's standard on HSE so hopefully LR have solved the problem.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
17-01-2015 06:32pm
fam1x

I've not been contact by LR either. I don't think LR are admitting its an issue hence the lack of communication from them.

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
18-01-2015 02:11am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

LR don't see it as a problem and there was no recall, if you were concerned and called Pete and the LRCS team after the program aired then that was the advice. The problem was far far worse for BMW and Audi owners, despite an Evoque being used as the "see how quickly we can open a car that we "doctored" earlier" - the problem is only a problem if you are in the habit of handing your keys over to strangers who can create cloned keyfobs, then once they have done that they can circumvent the security systems built into the car. They either have to cloned your keyfob or smashed a window to get in in the first place to plug a USB into the diagnostic port to overwrite the immobiliser. The other advice as mentioned earlier is to invest in a highly visible and less easy to circumvent "traditional" security measure like a Diskloc or lockable bar. The guys over on Defender2.net also advise using a pedal lock for their cars which are much much more easily stolen.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 18-01-2015 06:10am by XFullFatTim.)
18-01-2015 06:07am
Tony

BMW and Audi dealers also seem to be in denial. When we looked at exchanges from either of these their line was it did not effect their vehicles and was only a LR problem specific to the Evoque. Of course most of this was sales BS to drive down the value of our px.

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
18-01-2015 11:38am
Jeroma

If some gang wants to steal your car it will be gone in no time whatever you do. when I'm out with my Classic Car I try to park it in such a way that you can't pull it on a trailer. Today one can scan your electronic key while it sits in your pocket and transmit the signal to a receiver located close to the car.
A few years ago a friend's classic Triumph TR3A was stolen from the parking of a Land Rover experience center. The parking was protected by cameras, but to the great surprise the cameras were orientated so badly that they did not record any useable footage. In addition the guards were rather reluctant to cooperate. Good reasons to believe in some cooperation with the gang, how a car can vanishes from a protected parking without trace is very strange.
On a report about the riots in Niger I spotted a white Evoque, just wonder how carefully they check the ,documents on entry to the country.
The only paperwork they probably check are the Dollar notes....???

Evoque MY2014 ED4 Pure Tech in Aintree Green - Almond/Expresso, priv. glass, rear camera etc...
other cars in house: Renault Megane CC
1960 Triumph TR3A in BRG - on Webers
1970 Triumph TR6PI in jasmine on EFI
18-01-2015 11:46am