Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Just learned something new about Keyless Entry!
Bruno787

RE: Just learned something new about Keyless Entry!

is that for real? i leave all my cars unlocked in my gated garage.....

i dont leave the key inside though....

15 Maserati Quattroporte GTS
11 Mini John Cooper Works
12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic
14-08-2012 02:08pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Your dealer may be able to enable the double locking if you want it using their computer hooked up to the OBD Port, he just needs to know where to look!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 14-08-2012 03:47pm by XFullFatTim.)
14-08-2012 03:46pm
Mark

Really? Thats odd, because I don't lock my car when in the garage, I have keyless entry and the battery has never run flat........
14-08-2012 08:27pm
cousin.it

I had to go to by the dealership today and talked to the service manager on other business and asked him about this topic. He said that if the electronic key fob is close enough to the vehicle that it detects it, that the car will go into something more of an alive mode and it will sit there and drain the battery. He cited an example of someone that hung their keys on a wall bracket in the garage and their battery would drain dead... until they figured it out.

I don't know who originally told me this or where I read it, but where I normally drop my keys when I get home is just on the other side of the garage wall and I've been so paranoid about it that I take my fobs to the kitchen and leave them there. I've done this since I got my car in May. I've also been looking for a little silver curio box with a lid that I might be able to drop the fob in it on the dresser and have the box shield the communication and save me the exersize I'm getting walking all the way the heck over to my kitchen to get my fob!
(This post was last modified: 15-08-2012 12:42am by cousin.it.)
15-08-2012 12:40am
The Valeter

Mine never locks its'self when I walk away. It is unlocked for ages when I use it for work as I frequently get bits out of it.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
15-08-2012 01:04am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rekool

(14-08-2012 01:32pm)cousin.it Wrote:  Hmmm. Just took a look at my US manual and a UK manual I downloaded last May and I see a few differences. For example, we have "global opening" but not "global closing" where the windows are closed automatically. We also don't have "double locking".

I'll have to ask my service manager if he's heard of the battery draining issue.

When I picked up mine, the sales gal handed me the extra key, and warned me to NOT leave it in the car, as it will continuously communicate with the car, and drain the battery. I've walked away without locking the car a few times at home with the key in my pocket and never noticed any power loss upon starting. Not something I've done overnight or for 24 hrs though.

2012 RR Evoque Dynamic Coupe, Ipanima Sand
2008 Audi TT Roadster 3.2 Q, Black Cool
15-08-2012 05:55am
Coolbanana

(15-08-2012 05:55am)Rekool Wrote:  When I picked up mine, the sales gal handed me the extra key, and warned me to NOT leave it in the car, as it will continuously communicate with the car, and drain the battery. I've walked away without locking the car a few times at home with the key in my pocket and never noticed any power loss upon starting. Not something I've done overnight or for 24 hrs though.

I was thinking about this and realised that the car keys are kept just inside the kitchen door that opens through to the garage...the proximity of the keys to my car is approx. 2 metres. It is possible then that my keys are indeed constantly communicating with the car and leaving it unlocked for so long explains the battery drain - it may not have happened if the keys were out of range.

Car:Range Rover Sport 3.0SDV6 HSE - Orkney Grey, Almond interior and with lots of options
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO
15-08-2012 09:21am
slee18

there is a global close of the windows. You just hold down the lock feature on the door handles and they will close. It doesnt work via the remote though i have tried that.

12 Evoque Si4 (US) Galway Green Prestige ivory expresso interior
20-09-2012 06:18pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The keyless entry fob is only supposed to be picked up by the transponder in the car within 1m (or 3ft 3" for the colonials) so I don't see how the key fob can waken up the car if the keys are more than say 4ft from it

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
20-09-2012 10:10pm
The Valeter

(14-08-2012 11:53am)Coolbanana Wrote:  As for auto-locking - never even knew the keyless entry could do that! It has never locked itself; I'll definitely look into enabling that now. Laughing

Neither did I to be honest. How do you enable it? Seems daft as to why you should need to enable it, surely it should do that by default!
(20-09-2012 06:18pm)slee18 Wrote:  there is a global close of the windows. You just hold down the lock feature on the door handles and they will close. It doesnt work via the remote though i have tried that.

Mine does.
(15-08-2012 01:04am)The Valeter Wrote:  Mine never locks its'self when I walk away. It is unlocked for ages when I use it for work as I frequently get bits out of it.

Now explains probably why I have had a flat twice. Mad

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
(This post was last modified: 20-09-2012 11:11pm by The Valeter.)
20-09-2012 11:08pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply