Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is this a problem with my speakers?
fmcastro

Is this a problem with my speakers?

Hi,

Yesterday I noticed that when listening to music with a strong bass I can hear a weird vibration sound coming from the front door speakers, maybe some kind of distortion. For example, when listening to "U2 - With or Without You", the bass kicks in at 10 seconds, that's when I can hear the distortion (volume above 37).

My question is wether this is normal (eg. I should try to lower the bass setting or the volume) or I should take the car back to the dealer.

Does anyone else hear this kind of distortion?

Thanks a lot,

Felipe
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2012 05:36pm by fmcastro.)
06-02-2012 05:36pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

RE: Is this a problem with my speakers?

Volume above 37! Don't worry, you'll be deaf before too long so you won't hear the rattle! Laughing

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
06-02-2012 05:53pm
griff

depends on how new your speakers are - have you run them in and secondly what source are you playing from?
The Meridian system is so pure it picks up poor recordings I find.

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
06-02-2012 06:14pm
MartinP

Is it the same when you are blasting out some hot samba?

Retired! SD4 Manual, Prestige 5 door, Havana with Ambiance interior, plus lux pack and spare wheel.
Arrived! SD4 Auto, Autobiography 5 door, Kaikoura Stone with Tan interior, HUD/Solar glass, ACC, Lane Departure warning, Sign recognition plus spare wheel. Built 16 March. Collected 2 April.
[Image: 129200.png]
06-02-2012 06:44pm
lngrn36

You can hear a vibration above 37 because the whole door is car is vibrating.
Very Happy

Tim
Evoque Coupe Pure+
SI4 - Auto
Sumatra Black - Ebony/Ebony
Climate package
Satellite Radio
06-02-2012 07:08pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fmcastro

It's a bit too loud I know but despite a possible deafness, I enjoy listening to loud music and then, what are the 17 speakers for, right? Smile

I really think that the vibration sound could be the doors vibrating as pointed by Ingrn but I'm not sure so I asked you guys to see if you had the same experience.

Griff, I don't know if I have ran them in properly. I have the car for 2 weeks. Should I do something? I tried the same music both from CD and Bluetooth audio.

Thanks again
06-02-2012 11:15pm
Rootsboy

WoW if that is the same 825 watt system as mine that is load! and i like to listen to music quite high to, but i dont have to hit those levels.

anyway if your playing from a cd and its an original (i.e not copied from mp3s) it should be fine, there will be limitations on what sound you are going to expect from it though, i mean the bass and drums from a live band are not going to sound the same as the bass generated from a drum machine or synth from electronic dance music so just turning it up to have that sort of kick wont work.

also if your running the surround sound, there is all sorts of processing that is going on which is pushing and pulling different frequencies through all the speakers, so at those levels it could be pushing some a little to far.

maybe try turning the surround sound off and play with the eq a bit and see if you can set it up to sound load and clean.
i think there is another thread here showing some once eq levels like that, the bass is midway low, the treble is just a touch over the med point, and the sub is midway high.
there is no processing going on but you get a similar sound to the surround settings.

i have a image of your car on top of a float in the middle of a street party with the sound system pumping and 100's of dancing peopleVery Happy

SD4 Prestige 5 Door Manual. Fuji White. 20" Style 6 Wheels. Vibe-Ebony Interior and Header. Panoramic Roof. AD. Privacy and Solar Attenuating Glass. Surround Camera, Heated Seats. Pollution Sensor. Rear Vents. 825W Sound and a Spare Wheel
08-02-2012 09:50am
fmcastro

(08-02-2012 09:50am)Rootsboy Wrote:  also if your running the surround sound, there is all sorts of processing that is going on which is pushing and pulling different frequencies through all the speakers, so at those levels it could be pushing some a little to far.

maybe try turning the surround sound off and play with the eq a bit and see if you can set it up to sound load and clean.
i think there is another thread here showing some once eq levels like that, the bass is midway low, the treble is just a touch over the med point, and the sub is midway high.
there is no processing going on but you get a similar sound to the surround settings.

I'll try what you're suggesting but today I've made another test that points toward door vibration. While listening to my now "famous" volume 37 U2 (actually it also happens with lower volumes like 30+) I pressed (hard) the bottom part of the door's plastic cover and the vibration almost disappeared. It seems that the bass from With or Without You resonates on the door and leads to this weird vibration sound. It also happens on other songs with a strong bass but I thought U2 would be popular enough to try to find other people with the same problem.

I'll let you know if the settings make any difference but I've already tried fiddling with the different surround presets for no good.

(08-02-2012 09:50am)Rootsboy Wrote:  i have a image of your car on top of a float in the middle of a street party with the sound system pumping and 100's of dancing peopleVery Happy

Why not? Very Happy
08-02-2012 12:57pm
BFGEvoqueMan

Whatever I have listening to, at any volume there is no distrortion or vibration from anywhere in the car; even trying the 825W at full blast (no more than 5secs - its too loud)

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
08-02-2012 01:36pm
ED209

Its just your speakers objecting to being made to play U2. If you play some more tasteful music i am sure the problem will vanish.
08-02-2012 10:02pm