Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
In-car cams
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

In-car cams

Mio, the Taiwanese cheapo Satnav maker has just released a new range of in car digital cameras -Autocar magazine rates this one very highly in their gear test section this week http://www.mivue.co.uk/Mivue_538_deluxe.php

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 30-07-2014 06:52pm by XFullFatTim.)
30-07-2014 04:06pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tony

RE: In-car cams

Found this yesterday and the 568 touch-screen version. Was interested in the Parking Mode but unlike Blackvue and Roadhawk there does not appear to be a smart power adaptor available.

There are also some new Blackvue models available although more expensive.

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
30-07-2014 06:11pm
RacingSnake

(30-07-2014 06:11pm)Tony Wrote:  Found this yesterday and the 568 touch-screen version. Was interested in the Parking Mode but unlike Blackvue and Roadhawk there does not appear to be a smart power adaptor available.

There are also some new Blackvue models available although more expensive.
Blackvue are rubbish... well packaged and rolled in glitter, but the quality is shit - well, I'm primarily talking about the 2ch versions, but the single channel versions typically have heating issues too.

The 'smart adaptor' can be used on any dash cam. it's certainly not blackvue specific.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
30-07-2014 09:36pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JimWooly

I have a 2ch BlackVue system (DR550GW-2CH) installed and I like it. I particularly like the ability to download video from it wirelessly to my iPhone and to be able to change settings etc remotely using my iPhone. I read a lot about the picture quality and pixelation but have not experienced poor quality or pixelation myself. The units are neat and the rear camera does not require a separate power supply which are all plusses to me the major negative is the cost of the units.

[Image: 298252.png]
30-07-2014 10:31pm
Tony

(30-07-2014 09:36pm)RacingSnake Wrote:  Blackvue are rubbish... well packaged and rolled in glitter, but the quality is shit - well, I'm primarily talking about the 2ch versions, but the single channel versions typically have heating issues too.

The 'smart adaptor' can be used on any dash cam. it's certainly not blackvue specific.

I was not promoting Blackvue, there are positive and negative reviews as with all brands, just Google 'Evoque Rattles' and see how many hits you get.

Heating is not an issue where I live, we have just finished summer, two days at 26 deg C., we are now on a downward spiral to winter.

I would consider a smart adaptor essential given later Evoques need to be hard wired (no live power socket after locking) and its ability to discharge its battery after 3 minutes. I would consider any manufacturer of similar aftermarket accessories should offer this feature, I doubt the Evoque is alone in its ability to run out of battery power.

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
30-07-2014 10:31pm
RacingSnake

(30-07-2014 10:31pm)JimWooly Wrote:  but have not experienced poor quality or pixelation myself. The units are neat and the rear camera does not require a separate power supply which are all plusses to me the major negative is the cost of the units.
I've had the 550 since its release, and have kept the firmware updated each time it's released.
but the quality is a hardware constraint, so chances are you haven't noticed it, but come the day when you need to read a number plate when you're moving, you will then see the pixilation!

Of course, having a small unit nice and discrete, as well as having the rear cam is great, but for a premium dash-cam it fails on the picture quality front.

Plus, the rear cam cable degrades the DAB signal - it was me who introduced this failing to the manufacturers, who then changed the package to release a shielded rear cable, which helped, but the range is not as good as it used to be.

As you can see, I'm quite vocal about this, I will forgive anything it's foibles... but something which fails at it's sole purpose is a bit inexcusable.
If you're happy with the quality (and it seems you are), thats fine, but I want smooth, sharp and true 1080 quality, not something that pixelates when the car starts moving.

And Tony, if you want the 'offline' parking mode, it's not just the later evoques which lose live after locking - they all do.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
31-07-2014 10:24am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply