Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I need advice
mywillia

I need advice

First the background. I collected my car on 23rd Dec and not long after put a set of winter wheels and tyres on the car. The original wheels had done about 700 miles when they were removed and I put them straight into my garage without a second thought.

Now that the temperature is improving I dug out my original wheels to give them a good clean and some polish before going back on the car for summer. The wheels are Shadow Chrome.

On inspection during the clean and polish I've noticed that every spoke on every wheel has bubbles in the paint finish. There are also one or two bubbles of paint on the rim on the back of the wheel. The front of the wheels are good but there are one or two bubbles across all the wheels on the front face. These bubbles are tiny, maybe 2-3mm max but I can see these failing and causing the paint to peel over a short period of time. In fact one or two bubbles have come off while cleaning and so the primer underneath is now visible.

Is this something I should take back to the dealership or am I being too fussy? Has anyone else who like me has removed their wheels noticed similar? Is this a problem just with the Shadow Chrome.

Example of the problem:-
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&a...alNumber=2]

Delivered:-
Firenze Red Dynamic SD4 Coupe Manual with Lux pack
Verve Leather
20" Shadow Chrome Alloys
Privacy Glass
Heated Steering Wheel
19-03-2012 04:09pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: I need advice

It's always worth a visit to the dealer to point it out, they can only decline to replace them but you can ask them to add that you are concerned to the vehicles computerised history incase you have to make a claim later

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
19-03-2012 05:04pm
JackMac

Are these on the inside of the rim, or the outward facing side? If on the back side, there may be no need for concern. If outward side, I would request a replacement.

2012 Range Rover Evoque 5-door Si4
(This post was last modified: 19-03-2012 05:47pm by JackMac.)
19-03-2012 05:45pm
mywillia

(19-03-2012 05:45pm)JackMac Wrote:  Are these on the inside of the rim, or the outward facing side? If on the back side, there may be no need for concern. If outward side, I would request a replacement.

They're on the inside but on every spoke on every wheel. This isn't an isolated piece of blistering. Why should I not be concerned? to my mind the inside of the wheel takes far more punishment than the outside with brake heat, dust, water etc. I think that the finish is going to break down much quicker than it would if the paint were not blistered. The fact that they're on the edges of the spokes means that any failure is quickly going to spread round to the face of the wheel. They're shadow chrome which means they'll be almost unrepairable.

Delivered:-
Firenze Red Dynamic SD4 Coupe Manual with Lux pack
Verve Leather
20" Shadow Chrome Alloys
Privacy Glass
Heated Steering Wheel
(This post was last modified: 19-03-2012 07:02pm by mywillia.)
19-03-2012 07:01pm
mickydd

It seems simple to me, straight round to
dealer and request they are changed. It makes
no difference whether on outside or inside. It is
quite clearly a warranty issue. You won't have any trouble.
Get down there and let us know how you get on.

Arrived 24th February. Dynamic 5 dr SD4, manual ,Firenze with Verve interior, 20" Sparkle
20-03-2012 09:53am
RacingSnake

(19-03-2012 07:01pm)mywillia Wrote:  They're shadow chrome which means they'll be almost unrepairable.
I've seen this posted on here before, and its just not true.
All it means is that the person that does it has to know what they're doing, and how to layer the paint properly.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
20-03-2012 09:59am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
speary

(20-03-2012 09:53am)mickydd Wrote:  It seems simple to me, straight round to
dealer and request they are changed. It makes
no difference whether on outside or inside. It is
quite clearly a warranty issue. You won't have any trouble.
Get down there and let us know how you get on.

Whats with the Blue lights in your grill ?

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
20-03-2012 02:03pm
mickydd

Speary. I work for the fire service, so get to use the blue lights on the way to a job.
Lucky me!

Arrived 24th February. Dynamic 5 dr SD4, manual ,Firenze with Verve interior, 20" Sparkle
20-03-2012 09:46pm
speary

(20-03-2012 09:46pm)mickydd Wrote:  Speary. I work for the fire service, so get to use the blue lights on the way to a job.
Lucky me!

Cool, I'll bet they are handy on the motorway Wink

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
22-03-2012 02:12pm