Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How difficult is it to replace front bumper?
j7david

How difficult is it to replace front bumper?

I know various people have posted about Pure>Dynamic conversions, but I can't see anything about how technically difficult or time consuming the front bumper removal and then fitting is.

I actually want to go the opposite direction (have Dynamic, want better approach angle of front Pure/Prestige bumper for upcoming trip to Africa). LR quoted me £1000 for parts, painting and fitting (ouch!), but I see several 2nd-hand bumpers on eBay and I could shop around for labour costs, or maybe do it myself.

Do the headlight washers and fogs and parking sensors come as part of a bumper, or do they disconnect from my existing one and fit on/in a new (2nd hand) pure/prestige one?

Many thanks for any info!
Jonathan.

Jan '12 Dynamic SD4 Auto, 19" General Grabber AT, a few options, off to Kenya soon.
26-04-2014 08:09am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BFGEvoqueMan

RE: How difficult is it to replace front bumper?

(26-04-2014 08:09am)j7david Wrote:  I know various people have posted about Pure>Dynamic conversions, but I can't see anything about how technically difficult or time consuming the front bumper removal and then fitting is.

I actually want to go the opposite direction (have Dynamic, want better approach angle of front Pure/Prestige bumper for upcoming trip to Africa). LR quoted me £1000 for parts, painting and fitting (ouch!), but I see several 2nd-hand bumpers on eBay and I could shop around for labour costs, or maybe do it myself.

Do the headlight washers and fogs and parking sensors come as part of a bumper, or do they disconnect from my existing one and fit on/in a new (2nd hand) pure/prestige one?

Many thanks for any info!
Jonathan.

Bumper removal is easy, will take about 10 mins.

1. open bonnet
2. Prize up the middle of the 4 fake screw that secure the top of the radiator grille and then pull up the lugs in which they were houesed in.
3. Pull the grill (jerky pull required) to free from the three connectors to the bumper.
4. Repeat step 2 with the four screws you now see holding the bumper to the cross member.
5. Remove the silver skid plater in the middle bottom of the bumper (2 x flat screws).
6. Pop out the two plastic luhs at the back and the three 10mm bolts.
7. Turn steering wheel full lock to right.
8. Pull of the outside trim around the wheel arch on the left side of the car.
9. Peel back the wheel arch liner and feel up to the line where the bumper/wing meet.
10. Remove the two screws and pull the bumper forward.
11. Turn steering wheel full to left and repeat steps 8 + 9 + 10 on the right.

Takes about 15 mins. I have to change the lights on my car next week so wil be droping the bumper off the car so will post some photos if you like?

Headlight washers are all in the front sub frame, when needed they extend through the sprung covers in the bumper. Remember to factor in the cost for some plasters as you will loose a bit of knuckle skin when doing step 10 for the first time LOL Smile

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
26-04-2014 02:10pm
cjfp

Make your mind up BFG! First it's 10 minutes but by the end that's stretched to a full 15! Wink

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
(This post was last modified: 26-04-2014 04:15pm by cjfp.)
26-04-2014 04:14pm
BFGEvoqueMan

(26-04-2014 04:14pm)cjfp Wrote:  Make your mind up BFG! First it's 10 minutes but by the end that's stretched to a full 15! Wink

Well the extra time included a cup of tea and time to attach the band aid Smile

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
26-04-2014 05:29pm
Griff449

You don't need to take the bumper off to change the lights

Had a Pure TD4, Fuji White - now have Dynamic SD4, Fuji White 9 Speed auto with Verve Interior - let the new project begin!
27-04-2014 01:06pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
is1983

(27-04-2014 01:06pm)Griff449 Wrote:  You don't need to take the bumper off to change the lights

You do if you don't want to risk scratching it.

I had to have EU lights fitted, took it to land rover for them to do it the correct way and when I picked it up there were scratches from where they had done it by the non approved method. I wasn't happy.
28-04-2014 05:05pm