Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hmmm. Possible tailgate issue - and I've not even got it yet!
Steve D

As you may know, I've finally chose an Evoque on Saturday to be delivered to me after prepping and servicing by next Friday morning. A couple of issues are also to be sorted that I noticed during inspection. A few light scuffs on paintwork and wheels plus a missing parcel shelf and what looked like me to be the tailgate out of alignment. I wrote all that down on the work sheet as items that need doing.

Now, reading the forum it seems the tailgate is a common issue sometimes resulting in the parcel shelf being rubbed through which makes me more suspicious with the parcel shelf being missing. I'm thinking of getting back on to the dealer to let them know that if the tailgate isn't sorted, I'm going to reject the car.

Am I just being paranoid! I don't want to accept it then have months of ongoing grief getting it sorted. Have a look a the picture and let me know what you think.

[Image: A3156092-ECB8-4392-AD23-29A571D8280D_zpszlk16rb0.jpg]

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 19-10-2015 05:05am by Steve D.)
19-10-2015 05:04am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jph

I would like to see a closer picture of where the tailgate meets the left taillight. Doesn't look right in your photo. Don't accept the vehicle if it is not right!
19-10-2015 05:54am
Koidream

RE: Hmmm. Possible tailgate issue - and I've not even got it yet!

The tailgate of mine has also been reported as a problem. This is more then a month ago. Since then I didn't hear anything of my dealer nor LR Belgium.
It seems I have to make a written complain if it is not going to be resolved the easy way.
10.000km, 6 months later and allready 6 issues with this brand new car. Never experienced this with another brand...

BMW 315
BMW 518
Daihatsu Rocky 2.8D
BMW 320i
BMW R100RT
Triumph Spitfire 1500
Rover 623 Si
BMW 518i
Alfa Romeo 156 1.9JTD
VOLVO S60 D5
Range Rover Evoque TD4

[Image: 343895.png]
(This post was last modified: 19-10-2015 07:48am by Koidream.)
19-10-2015 07:48am
Steve D

I've been onto the dealer and they assured me that it will definately be rectified before delivery this Friday so, fingers crossed!

I suppose I've got more chance of getting it fixed BEFORE I buy it!

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 19-10-2015 12:29pm by Steve D.)
19-10-2015 12:27pm
5jms5

There was a problem with early parcel shells rubbing boot rubber. If you are concerned with the tailgate alignment make sure the dealer knows you will not accept the car like this. Do not take delivery if tailgate isn't sorted out.
19-10-2015 01:49pm
Steve D

Thanks for that. I did notice that the tailgate seal had two small 20mm tears in it in the same position on opposite sides - looks like where the parcel shelf could have been catching now you mention it. They are also replacing that seal. I made the point of reminding them about the tailgate alignment this morning by email and asked them to confirm that it will be rectified before delivery. They replied almost immediately with "Steve, I can confirm that the tailgate and all other issues will be dealt with before we get the vehicle to you on Friday ..." so I'm pretty confident. They have been totally professional so far. I also asked that any software updates are up to date as well. While I was at it I also asked for the satnav to have the latest maps installed but I might be pushing my luck there as that was after the sale - should have remembered to ask for that before signing!

They are delivering it nearly 90 miles to my house so lets hope its not a wasted journey for them! Laughing

19-10-2015 03:02pm
bee

fab looking evo, but make sure all problems sorted or send it back.

2013 auto sicillian yellow special edition. with all the goodies supplied with this model.
19-10-2015 03:36pm
The Valeter

Looking at that picture the tailgate seems lower than it should be.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
19-10-2015 07:36pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Steve D

When I saw it I walked round the dealership looking at others. Out of about a dozen cars, nearly all had dropped by some degree or another. Only saw two perfect ones. Shocking.

19-10-2015 07:50pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

It might be that if they were used Evoques that the previous owner never looked on the internet so wasn't worried about it and was none the wiser that it is a known problem

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
19-10-2015 09:48pm