Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hill Start Assist
sathound

Hill Start Assist

Hi,

I have had a RRE Pure Tech Manual SD4 for a couple of weeks now and so far have not noticed that the car holds on even a slight incline after braking to a stop. I gently roll backwards if the footbrake is released and the EPB has not been appplied. Is there a setting to apply Hill Start Assist or does it not function when you come to a standstill on a relatively level road with a slight incline?Confused:
11-02-2012 02:35pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Hill Start Assist

Welcome to the forum Sathound

Yes you have to also switch on the HDC to activate the Gradient Assist - Page 97 of the owner's manual

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2012 03:09pm by XFullFatTim.)
11-02-2012 03:06pm
pureevoque

I wonder how it works with 2WD then when there is no HDC?

ed4 Pure 5 Dr, Fuji, Xenons, Front Fogs, Power mirrors & tailgate, 20" Style 6. Ordered 290611 Delivered 090312
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2012 04:24pm by pureevoque.)
11-02-2012 04:23pm
cjfp

@xfft - I think I disagree with you (or have misunderstood). If I am on a slope and apply the foot brake, I can then take my foot off and the car will hold for a second or two before rolling, ie giving me enough time to clutch/accelerate away and I havent touched HDC.

Will look at manual and come back

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
11-02-2012 05:36pm
sathound

(11-02-2012 03:06pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Welcome to the forum Sathound

Yes you have to also switch on the HDC to activate the Gradient Assist - Page 97 of the owner's manual

I am talking about public roads not off road. I don't need Hill descent or Gradient assist on the A47 in Norfolk but I assumed that I wouldn't need to apply the handbrake when parked on a molehill!? My previous VW pasat had the equivalent "Hill Hold" which simply held the car until you drove off after coming to a standstill and applying strong footbrake.
11-02-2012 05:39pm
XFullFatTim

Maybe I have misunderstood something then.
What the manual states is
"With HDC activated if the vehicle is stopped on a slope using the footbrake GRC will become active (except in Terrain Response Sand program). It operates in all gears and in neutral position
"During a steep hill descent when the footbrake is released GRC will automatically hold brake force for a short period before gradually releasing it, allowing for maxim control to be retained.
"During an uphill start,a similar brake hold and gradual release is employed. This allows time for the driver to apply speed and allow the vehicle to move away smoothly"

It doesn't say anything about having to be off road to use it, like HDC this works on road as well as off road. This is what I think is also called a hill holder brake or a hill start assister by some companies, but it does require HDC to be switched on to work.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2012 06:04pm by XFullFatTim.)
11-02-2012 05:52pm
mactrack

Deleted.
(This post was last modified: 16-05-2012 05:27pm by mactrack.)
11-02-2012 05:54pm
cjfp

From handbook:-

AUTOMATIC SYSTEMS
Gradient Acceleration Control (GAC) and Hill Start Assist are not active while HDC is
operating. GAC will limit vehicle acceleration on steep descents, allowing the driver to feel more in
control of the vehicle. Hill Start Assist activates when starting a hill ascent from a stationary position. When the foot brake is released Hill Start Assist smoothly releases the brake pressure, allowing the
vehicle to move away without rolling backwards. Any fault with GAC or Hill Start Assist will be
indicated by the DSC warning lamp being illuminated and a message in the Driver information centre.

There is something similar that works when HDC IS active:-
GRADIENT RELEASE CONTROL (GRC)
With HDC activated, if the vehicle is stopped on a slope using the foot brake, GRC will become
active (except in Terrain Response Sand program). It operates in all gears and in neutral
position. During a steep hill descent, when the foot brake is released GRC will automatically hold brake
force for a short period before gradually releasing it, allowing for maximum control to be retained.
During an uphill start, a similar brake hold and gradual release is employed. This allows time for the driver to apply speed and allow the vehicle to move away smoothly.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2012 05:58pm by cjfp.)
11-02-2012 05:58pm
XFullFatTim

I must have the Mk1 handbook.............. in the index is listed as P94 but it's on P97 instead. I guess the proof readers where on a half day that day!

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2012 06:16pm by XFullFatTim.)
11-02-2012 06:14pm