Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hill Descent Control
THEMACS

Hill Descent Control

Just wondering how this and other 4wd trickery work in a Manual, as it seems that a lot of this type of stuff would only work properly with an Auto Box as it has full control of the clutch.

So do these items not work as effectively on a Manual Car?? Confused

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
29-11-2011 03:28pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

RE: Hill Descent Control

using this on a defender 'experience day', you engage the clutch full in first with no throttle, and it sorts the rest out.... HDC won't stop you on the hill, so the clutch doesn't need to be dipped at any stage.

I therefore assume it's similar on the evoque?!
29-11-2011 04:28pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

HDC is totally seperate from any gearbox ECU or the clutch, the only thing you should never do when HDC is engaged is press the brake, no matter how tempting it is you must plant your feet firmly on the floor and resist all temptation to cover the brake pedal............................ otherwise if you use the brake you will cause the HDC to slowly release and disengage completely. HDC uses the ABS and TC modules and has nothing to do with whether you have a manual or automatic gearbox. The only device connected to the HDC is the cruise control, originally HDC had a fixed 5mph speed setting which many complained was a bit fast, especially as originally the wheels had to make 5 complete rotations before the system cut in, which it did very abruptly. LR's boffins listened and decided that it was possible with later clever electronics to make the HDC descent speed variable between about 1mph and 10mph using the cruise control + and - buttons so you can go a little faster down a slope if you think it is safe so to do. Lots of other manufacturers copied HDC, none has yet tried to infringe LR's patent on how to make it adjustable!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 29-11-2011 05:12pm by XFullFatTim.)
29-11-2011 05:11pm
THEMACS

Thanks Tim, So if I am at the top of a hill and engage HDC do I have the car in Neutral or 1st Gear?? If its in first won't it Stall??? Can't quite get how it works in real life!!Embarrassed

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
29-11-2011 05:43pm
J77

Do not use neutral use first gear the car won't stall as there is momentum it keeps the car at a set speed. I think on the auto the speed can be set lower than on a manual. The system works great on both cars, I've tried it on both manual and auto freelanders though I believe the system has been improved for the evoque. Ask your salesman for a half day at an LRE centre.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
(This post was last modified: 29-11-2011 06:23pm by J77.)
29-11-2011 06:21pm
Westy

Find yourself a hill, and make sure you have no one around you, stop engage HDC and you will be amazed, release the footbreak or handbrake and let the HDC control your progress, this works whether you are in Neutral or in gear.

And as Tim recomended use ths system in first gear for more control, you can then either speed up or slow down using the cruise control and a handy display between the gauges shows your ground speed.

I used this for the first time at a LR experience day in Evoque at Peckforton castle and was very impressed, I have used it since (not in any anger) to show the children and they were surprised, you will hear lots of strange noises as the car systems control your descent.

Great bit of kit for slipeery condtions, just cable tie your right foot to the seat though.Smile

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
16-03-2012 11:40am
XFullFatTim

If you are tempted to press the brake when descending a steep slope DON"T! Pressing the brake pedal will disengage the HDC. Using 1st gear (or 2nd on less steep slopes) utilises engine braking. With manuals there is a temptation to ride the clutch off road................... it will destroy your clutch very quickly if you do! Another thing with HDC is never to leave it switched on all the time off road, it eats brake pads for breakfast if you do as every time you drive over the activation speed and then you lift off the throttle the brakes will activate to slow the car back down to the set speed!

I haven't tried it yet in my Evoque but operating the parking brake at slow speed is very impressive as it doesn't just use the park brake for an emergency stop, it cleverly activates the ABS too. It isn't something to to do often as it won't help the brake linings life much! It always used to be demonstrated at LRE's but you can try it yourself on a very quite stretch of street. Was very impressive in the FFRR and RRS seeing 2.8 tonnes of coming to a halt in a few meters.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 16-03-2012 12:02pm by XFullFatTim.)
16-03-2012 12:02pm
slee18

Off the ops subject but on the subject of parking brake Tim, do you pull and hold the lever? When I triedto use that while moving it just beeped at me but didnt stop. I'm gonna try it again later in a quiet parking lot again. Want to make sure I could stop with the parking brakes in a emergency

12 Evoque Si4 (US) Galway Green Prestige ivory expresso interior
16-03-2012 04:25pm
XFullFatTim

Pull and hold the EPB above 2mph gives a gradual retardation according to the owners' manual. On RRS and FFRR it gives a very impressive braking, the description in the manual suggests it might not be quite so "exciting" in the RRE as doing it in the RRS and FFRR. You will get an error message on the dash although no mention is made of audible warnings, but that might be market specific for the USA.

(This post was last modified: 16-03-2012 06:07pm by XFullFatTim.)
16-03-2012 06:06pm
Evoqess

Brilliant info Tim! Many thanks!

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
16-03-2012 06:43pm