Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help with info re: pure vs dynamic
leaf911

Just test drove an Evoque again. First time for me, and about 3rd time for hubby. We were going to test an SD4 and Si4 side by side, but they only had the diesels there. We were wondering apart from the dynamic trims, what are the other differences between a pure and a dynamic? Are there any handling/driving/ suspension differences?

I am also thinking.. Should we consider the SD4 dynamic rather than Si4 pure. I know it is a few thousand more for the dynamic. Preferably would live the Si4 dynamic, but to save a bit of money, i am willing to go the SD4 and get a dynamic, than to just get a pure Si4.

The options we would have are:

- auto
- pano roof
- 20" wheels probably style 6
- tech pack
- clearview pack
- rear camera
- parking sensors

Colour: most likely firenze red, maybe mauritus blue, OG, or Santorini black. Would love to have the black and red contrast. If we get firenze, then would love to get black lettering too.
09-02-2013 01:23pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
scrannel

RE: Help with info re: pure vs dynamic

Not sure what your choices are per/model there, but the only option I felt was a must-have was the MagneRide suspension. In the states, currently, this can only be had on the Dynamic. Aside from the obvious suspension difference, I did notice (when I was looking around at build sheets) that the Dynamic w/Mag suspension had different front springs from all other versions (including Dynamic coupe w/Mag). But this is USA stuff, and we can only get the petrol engine and automatic. And, BTW, I love that little rocket of a motor!

The options on your list sound great, as do your color choices. And you are right to think this through. Over here, Dynamic only, you can get contrasting seats and all that. Have you though about interior colors?

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2013 05:55pm by scrannel.)
09-02-2013 05:45pm
leaf911

Hi Scrannel,

Thanks for your info. Obviously for a girl, i would have even thought about adaptive dynamics. Initially, i just thought it was about the front lights moving when you turn. Upon looking into it, it is not this but infact adaptive xenons. Lol.

My husband is used to driving sports cars, so the AD might be something he might be interested in. But honestly from reading a few posts on AD, the owners love them, but most just leave them on normal mode most of the time, which defeats the purpose of having it. Personally for me, i wouldn't have it, as the $1950 they charge here to have it, would not be worth it for me, when we are i am trying to save a few thousand here and there, and having the SD4, just so i maybe able to get the dynamic instead, to save another few more thousand than Si4 dynamic. Also, I will most likely be the predominant driver of this car.

As for the interior, hubby likes the ebony interior, but personally i like a brighter look, so my preference is lunar/cirrus, and hubby is happy enough to go along with that.. Haha!

If it was up to hubby, he would prefer to get the Golf GTI first. But due to his work, he doesn't need to drive much nowadays, with the majority of his journeys made to the child care centre and back.

Oops.. Just noticed if i choose a dynamic, i can't have cirrus/lunar interior. So, will have either the verve or pursuit interior. Oh what a shame.. Really like the cirrus lunar interior.

Also, can i ask, does the dynamic come standard with santorini roof or body coloured roof?
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2013 11:07pm by leaf911.)
09-02-2013 10:20pm
scrannel

RE: Help with info pure vs dynamic

(09-02-2013 10:20pm)leaf911 Wrote:  Hi Scrannel,

Thanks for your info. Obviously for a girl, i would have even thought about adaptive dynamics. Initially, i just thought it was about the front lights moving when you turn. Upon looking into it, it is not this but infact adaptive xenons. Lol.

My husband is used to driving sports cars, so the AD might be something he might be interested in. But honestly from reading a few posts on AD, the owners love them, but most just leave them on normal mode most of the time, which defeats the purpose of having it.

Actually, that's not true. The Magnetic suspension was designed to NOT have driver input. The inclusion of a "switch" that makes it "stiffer" is in response -- especially during the early Corvette days -- to drivers who want that "sports car feel". But, THAT defeats the purpose of the suspension. The Mag suspension becomes stiff when needed, but it also needs to become soft when needed -- with the entire package designed to keep your wheels on the road. I had a C6 Corvette with it and in "sport" (stiff) mode I could get wheel hop and lofting on irregular surfaces. With in in "tour" mode, the car was a freakin' God. In fact, when GM tested the C6 in track runs, it always lapped faster in soft (normal) mode than in the stiffer "sport" mode. You and your hubby should take on for a REAL ride.

Not sure about colors in Oz.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
09-02-2013 11:54pm
j7david

(09-02-2013 10:20pm)leaf911 Wrote:  But honestly from reading a few posts on AD, the owners love them, but most just leave them on normal mode most of the time, which defeats the purpose of having it

That's not correct; AD is always active on a car that has it, regardless of whether you're in Normal/Dynamic/Snow/Mud/Sand mode.

I guess it's unfortunate that Dynamic mode has a name similar to Adaptive Dynamics, and it only exists on cars with AD, so there's a perception that that's the only mode that uses AD.

Jan '12 Dynamic SD4 Auto, 19" General Grabber AT, a few options, off to Kenya soon.
10-02-2013 03:23pm
leaf911

(10-02-2013 03:23pm)j7david Wrote:  That's not correct; AD is always active on a car that has it, regardless of whether you're in Normal/Dynamic/Snow/Mud/Sand mode.

What is the driving difference between a pure and a dynamic then? Does it feel sportier, is it more powerful, is the suspension tighter? As in my fist post, i would like to know whether there is any driving differences between the 2 models, or is it just visual differences.
10-02-2013 10:22pm
scrannel

OK, I can only tell you from my experience with a USA version. The front springs (on the USA 5 door version) w/Magnetic suspension, appear to be a different rating rating from ALL other models. That includes the coupe w/Magnetic suspension. Now, all USA versions are automatic with the turbo inline 4. This is a kick-ass little power plant. Coupled w/the paddle shifters, sport mode and mag suspension = sports sedan. Could it use a heftier rear anti-sway bar to tame the under-steer? Maybe. But the real hat trick here is that suspension:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagneRide

Look, if you're buying the car to make diaper runs or midget soccer games... just get the base suspension.

BMW K1200R. Black.
10-02-2013 10:59pm
leaf911

(10-02-2013 10:59pm)scrannel Wrote:  Look, if you're buying the car to make diaper runs or midget soccer games... just get the base suspension.

Lol you are funny! Btw.. My husband tends to do more of the "diaper runs" as his hours are more flexible than mine. That is why he will be stuck with my mazda 3 for that. I will be the one with the evoque as i probably do more driving for work these days.

Btw, sorry, what i meant to ask, was if there was a difference driving the dynamic over one with the AD option. Would love to have another test drive, this time with one of each of those, but not every dealer has it, and there is only 1 in Brissie, and the other 2 are at least 1 hour each way. Even then they are smaller dealers and most likely won't have them. At least in the other bigger states, there are at least 5 around the city. Which is why i am asking here incase anyone has tried them both. Thanks! Smile
11-02-2013 12:07am
SuH

Pay the extra for the electronic tail gate. I am so kicking myself for not thinking about this. I thought it was standard Sad Cry me a river Sad
11-02-2013 09:04am
leaf911

(11-02-2013 09:04am)SuH Wrote:  Pay the extra for the electronic tail gate. I am so kicking myself for not thinking about this. I thought it was standard Sad Cry me a river Sad

If I had unlimited funds, i would certainly get the electronic tailgate. But as we need to watch our pennies, I am afraid, that won't be on our option list. Crying
11-02-2013 12:44pm