Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Heating: a question *solved?!*
dandavis1

Heating: a question *solved?!*

So I'm finding the Evoque's heating a bit inadequate, especially when the weather drops to 3C or lower. I've even measured the air temp coming out of the vents when on "HI" and the fan on full to see if it matches other cars (50C by the way).

But here's my question about the heating - correct me if I'm wrong.

Imagine the engine is hot, but the cabin is cold. I get in and drive off with the heating set to 22. I would expect the vents to expel air at maximum temp until the cabin reaches 22C when it would then automatically reduce the temp to keep the cabin at that level.

But in the Evoque, selecting 22 seems to just cause cooler air to blow. Am I missing something?! Does the figure on the dash refer to the desired temp of the cabin, or the temp of the air coming out of the vents?

Also, on a slightly different matter, when the engine is cold I find warm air blows for about 10secs after starting the engine, then it goes cold. Where's that warm air coming from? I'm beginning to wonder if it should blow hot even when the engine is cold, but my car has a fault...
(This post was last modified: 31-01-2012 10:34pm by dandavis1.)
14-01-2012 04:39pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
slee18

RE: Heating: a question

Sounds like you need to take it back and have the dealer look at it. The temps here in the US get that low but I don't have that problem.
15-01-2012 07:04am
dandavis1

I've actually done that already. They say they can't see a problem...
15-01-2012 10:01am
cjfp

My seats take a bit longer than I would like to warm up, but my blowers are fine.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
15-01-2012 10:10am
Claud

it will be a cold start for me tomorrow, I will up the temp to high once engine is warm and see if I get hot air out of the vents.

[Image: 118733.png]
2013 Discovery HSE Luxury Corris Grey
Sold - 2011 Evoque SD4 Prestige, Auto, Magnaride, Orkney Grey, Lux Pack, TPMS, Heated Steering Wheel
2010 Freelander SD4
1997 Defender 90 XD Wolf (ex Ghurkas)
1991 Defender County 110 V8
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance
15-01-2012 05:03pm
griff

Are you using climate control on auto or on manual.
I find in auto climate control I have no problem

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
15-01-2012 05:06pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Actually the numbers in all Range Rovers are just numbers they are not temperatures that you can set, however also check that the driver and passenger side are set to IIRC 6degrees of each other otherwise the system cannot cope with the two side being at larger temperature differences

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
15-01-2012 08:31pm
barnsyuk

Thought I read somewhere the heater was a ceramic unit, heating immediatley and not depentant on engine coolant temperature. Can someone confirm this?
16-01-2012 08:38pm
Claud

I turned my heating up to high with fan on max momentarily at traffic lights today and the HVAC pumped out hot air from all the vents, as one would expect after the engine had warmed up, ambient was -1 deg C.

The HVAC kept the whole interior clear of mist at 20 deg C setting on auto from total iced car defrost. Wing mirrors were also clear for the whole journey this time. Heated screen cleared in about a minute from start.

The Evoque does have a ceramic heater that functions while the car is in the warm up cycle to warm the cabin, i believe this turns off when there is sufficient engine heat. Unfortunately this is not detailed in the manual so we need someone with inside knowledge to confirm the functionality.

[Image: 118733.png]
2013 Discovery HSE Luxury Corris Grey
Sold - 2011 Evoque SD4 Prestige, Auto, Magnaride, Orkney Grey, Lux Pack, TPMS, Heated Steering Wheel
2010 Freelander SD4
1997 Defender 90 XD Wolf (ex Ghurkas)
1991 Defender County 110 V8
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance
16-01-2012 09:57pm
blacktrees1

(16-01-2012 08:38pm)barnsyuk Wrote:  Thought I read somewhere the heater was a ceramic unit, heating immediatley and not depentant on engine coolant temperature. Can someone confirm this?

Yes, It is called a PTC. It's only on (newer?) diesels. Because modern diesels create relatively little waste heat, you need another way of heating the cabin effectively. So you have these as a kind of auxiliary heater rather than just using excess engine heat.

PTC stands for positive temperature coefficient. It uses a material (usually ceramic) with a PTC. The electrical resistance of the material varies with temperature in such a way that the heater turns off inherantly (no switch required) when a certain temperature is reached.

Delivered : SD4 Prestige / LUX / 5 Door / Manual / Orkney Grey / Vibe / Privacy / Style 7 Shadow Chrome / Ordered April 2011 / Built 9th Jan / Delivered 18th Jan Smile
17-01-2012 07:49am