Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Heads up - Fifth Gear review on 14th Oct.
mark_n

RE: Heads up - Fifth Gear review on 14th Oct.

Sorry cjfp, you must have been asleep when they covered kinetic energy at school. It's KE which does the damage.

The KE of a car of mass M and velocity V is 0.5*M*V^2

For a car travelling at 2V, the KE is 2*M*V^2

For two cars travelling at V, the total KE is M*V^2.

So, the energy in that car hitting a wall at 120 is twice that of two cars colliding head-on at 60 each. The damage at 120 is much more severe because the greater energy is dissipated through a smaller mass. Truth is though, neither is survivable.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
15-10-2011 10:59am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

I wasn't asleep as I managed to get A level A grade - However, that was a fair few years ago (and needless to say I don't actively use physics calcs in my day to day activities very much) and therefore I'm happy (grrr) to stand corrected.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
15-10-2011 11:08am
doug

I have never seen a brick wall traveling at 120 mph (or 60).
So it's not a fair test, to say it's like two cars crashing head on.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
15-10-2011 11:09am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Regardless of the physics of the speeds, that video should become compulsory viewing for all driving test candidates as an illustration of what the results of a head-on collision at LESS then the national speed limit. The results of the Focus (which is a pretty high tech car, safety wise) having a head-on at 70mph with another doing the same don't bear thinking about, let alone at the speeds that some people seem to think are quite acceptable on most A roads in the UK.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
15-10-2011 11:13am
stsainj

(15-10-2011 08:18am)mark_n Wrote:  I think the Evoque was seriously impressive coming down that 1:1 slope. The short overhangs really work. I wonder if it would get up it?

That 1:1 slope certainly looked a bit steeper than 45 degrees!
15-10-2011 05:59pm
defender_uk

I have no doubt at all that it would go up....
(15-10-2011 11:13am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Regardless of the physics of the speeds, that video should become compulsory viewing for all driving test candidates as an illustration of what the results of a head-on collision at LESS then the national speed limit. The results of the Focus (which is a pretty high tech car, safety wise) having a head-on at 70mph with another doing the same don't bear thinking about, let alone at the speeds that some people seem to think are quite acceptable on most A roads in the UK.

Fully agree Tim...all young males especially should eb made to watch and see a fire and rescue simulation. It is one reason I drive RR...having seen friends who are only alive because they were in thrie RR (which was totalled) when some young sprog decided to mump the red lights at 70 mph...

Defender_uk

Evoque Prestige Lux, OG, maual, style 4 wheels

comes to live with Defender 90 TDCi 07
(This post was last modified: 15-10-2011 10:02pm by defender_uk.)
15-10-2011 09:59pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mickydd

Direct link to full program here: http://www.channel5.com/shows/fifth-gear...ode-11-174

Arrived 24th February. Dynamic 5 dr SD4, manual ,Firenze with Verve interior, 20" Sparkle
16-10-2011 10:11pm
The Valeter

(15-10-2011 11:13am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Regardless of the physics of the speeds, that video should become compulsory viewing for all driving test candidates as an illustration of what the results of a head-on collision at LESS then the national speed limit. The results of the Focus (which is a pretty high tech car, safety wise) having a head-on at 70mph with another doing the same don't bear thinking about, let alone at the speeds that some people seem to think are quite acceptable on most A roads in the UK.

Agreed. It should also be shown to those who lose their licence through a speed related offence, along with other shocking videos!
That said there are those that will never take note no matter what!

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
16-10-2011 11:06pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

(15-10-2011 11:13am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Regardless of the physics of the speeds, that video should become compulsory viewing for all driving test candidates as an illustration of what the results of a head-on collision at LESS then the national speed limit.

Ignore the laws of physics if you want to, but they still apply. The carnage we saw of a car driving into a brick wall at 120 mph is equivalent to two cars colliding head-on at 84 mph each, which, so far as I know is NOT LESS than the national speed limit, even in Bonnie Scotland.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
17-10-2011 07:45am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Mark, I wasn't implying to disregard physics, it was the discussion in the threads above.
Sorry my maths / physics is a bit rusty 37 years after leaving school, how do you arrive at the speed of 84mph - which isn't that far off the speed that many drivers seem to consider to be the enforceable speed limit - 80mph.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
17-10-2011 09:46am