Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hand brake try this
Ianpembs

Hand brake try this

Hi I was wondering if some one could clarify something on the Electric Hand Brake.

I have a manual (may be same on Auto) gear box Prestige. If you park the car and switch of the engine and do not apply the hand brake the red handbrake sign on the dash comes on and brakes seem to be applied. I thought therefore that the hand brake is automatically being applied when you switch the engine off.
However if you now lift the handbrake switch you can hear what sounds like the hand brake being applied to the rear wheels. im not sure what is happening here but thought Id mention it in case someone gets caught out on parking on a steep incline as I am not confident that although on switching the engine off and despite the parking brake light coming on the handbrake is not actually being applied and you have to still lift the switch.
16-08-2012 08:32pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IKM

RE: Hand brake try this

Certainly on the auto when you switch off, the "handbrake" is automatically applied. Although in the main I normally set the dial to "P" first.

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
16-08-2012 08:35pm
Daigriff

I have an auto and just switch off and assume it's not going to roll away Smile

A bit unnerving at first.

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
16-08-2012 08:47pm
RacingSnake

(16-08-2012 08:35pm)IKM Wrote:  Certainly on the auto when you switch off, the "handbrake" is automatically applied. Although in the main I normally set the dial to "P" first.
You don't need to do this.
Just switch the engine off, it will flash and as the dial sinks back down it'll flick itself back to Park.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
(This post was last modified: 16-08-2012 09:46pm by RacingSnake.)
16-08-2012 09:46pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IKM

(16-08-2012 09:46pm)RacingSnake Wrote:  You don't need to do this.
Just switch the engine off, it will flash and as the dial sinks back down it'll flick itself back to Park.
Just habit I guess. Also lets my 11yr old move the dial to P when we park.

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
16-08-2012 09:56pm
PhilSkill

(16-08-2012 08:32pm)Ianpembs Wrote:  Hi I was wondering if some one could clarify something on the Electric Hand Brake.

I have a manual (may be same on Auto) gear box Prestige. If you park the car and switch of the engine and do not apply the hand brake the red handbrake sign on the dash comes on and brakes seem to be applied. I thought therefore that the hand brake is automatically being applied when you switch the engine off.
However if you now lift the handbrake switch you can hear what sounds like the hand brake being applied to the rear wheels. im not sure what is happening here but thought Id mention it in case someone gets caught out on parking on a steep incline as I am not confident that although on switching the engine off and despite the parking brake light coming on the handbrake is not actually being applied and you have to still lift the switch.

The handbrake is applied automatically, pulling the lever will activate it again, like giving it an extra tug! I rarely activate it when leaving the vehicle.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
16-08-2012 10:03pm
The Valeter

I have never used the handbrake switch as there is no need.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
16-08-2012 10:13pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bowl

I've acquired a bad habit after 3 months with the Evoque... I keep forgetting to apply the parking brake in my Mercedes.

Evoque SD4 Coupé Dynamic, Fuji White, Santoriny Pano roof, Lux pack, RSE, style 8 wheels, along with everything else.
16-08-2012 10:21pm
PhilSkill

I still use it at traffic lights, but I guess autos you dont need to as you can place in park, whereas manuals it allows you to release the foot brake to save warping the discs by holding hot front pads on the discs.

And you should apply the handbrake when stopped incase some fool slams in the back of you and tries to jettison you into the car infront, or worse the crossing traffic.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
16-08-2012 11:06pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

In traffic I always manually engage the EPB when stopped at traffic lights - it's one of my pet hates people holding their car on the foot brake and burning out the eyes of the following car drivers with the bilevel brake light.
The whirring noise you here is the small electric winch tensioning the brake cable - all the modern Land Rovers except the Defender (and possibly Freelander2, I don't know about them) now have the same system.

The real party trick of the EPB is to engage it while moving........................ it activates the ABS, EBDF and DSC and the Hazard warning lights as well as the rear brakes to bring you up very very quickly indeed, as in an emergency stop.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 16-08-2012 11:13pm by XFullFatTim.)
16-08-2012 11:13pm