Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Had to call LR Assist this morning!
scrannel

RE: Had to call LR Assist this morning!

Right you are, Donny. Look, the whole thing is pretty straight forward: A simple Load Test ( or a CCA test) is designed to check if your battery has enough power too start your car -- consistently. In ye good olde days a home mechanic would pull the rotor out of the distributor (after being sure the battery was charged) then crank it over (can't start of course) while a pal measured the voltage drop. If the voltage dropped below a given point the battery failed.

For high compression engines (like diesels) and in very cold weather, the battery has to work harder.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
26-11-2013 03:33pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

I hope nobody ever actually short circuited a battery... Load tested yes.

CCA measurement using Frequency Injection is only around 70% accurate on Lead acid though, so means untrained/unfamiliar users could be fooled either way, but it's advantages are you're not loading the battery and gives a better reading for State of Charge and internal resistance which should detect failing cells better, and it works well over a larger temperature range, which will affect the loaded voltage drop greatly when performing the load test.

I hear Alibeau saying, but I just wanted my Evoque to Start! Laughing

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 26-11-2013 03:41pm by PhilSkill.)
26-11-2013 03:34pm
scrannel

With all due respect, Phil, you're making something simple sound complex. The average driver, if he suspects a battery problem, needs to have a load test done. If it fails, all other tests are moot. If the battery will not reliably start your car it needs to be replaced.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
26-11-2013 05:02pm
Donny Dog

(26-11-2013 03:34pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  I hope nobody ever actually short circuited a battery... Load tested yes.

CCA measurement using Frequency Injection is only around 70% accurate on Lead acid though, so means untrained/unfamiliar users could be fooled either way, but it's advantages are you're not loading the battery and gives a better reading for State of Charge and internal resistance which should detect failing cells better, and it works well over a larger temperature range, which will affect the loaded voltage drop greatly when performing the load test.

I hear Alibeau saying, but I just wanted my Evoque to Start! Laughing

They used to call it a 'short circuit test', but they didn't just put a spanner across the terminals, no! The tester had two big diiameter 'spikes' with insulated handles connected via a meter, but they still got a fair old shower of sparks when they put them across the battery, and many people used to say that the test did more harm than good.

Incidentally, the electronic test I described above also gave the amp hours, so you also get an idea of battery life, which you can again compare to the original specification. Maybe the test isn't totally accurate, but I didn't tell him which battery wouldn't start the engine and which would, and the defective one was still revealed quite clearly in the test.
26-11-2013 06:15pm
PhilSkill

(26-11-2013 05:02pm)scrannel Wrote:  With all due respect, Phil, you're making something simple sound complex. The average driver, if he suspects a battery problem, needs to have a load test done. If it fails, all other tests are moot. If the battery will not reliably start your car it needs to be replaced.

Like I said in Post 5... Laughing

(26-11-2013 06:15pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  They used to call it a 'short circuit test', but they didn't just put a spanner across the terminals, no! The tester had two big diiameter 'spikes' with insulated handles connected via a meter, but they still got a fair old shower of sparks when they put them across the battery, and many people used to say that the test did more harm than good.

Incidentally, the electronic test I described above also gave the amp hours, so you also get an idea of battery life, which you can again compare to the original specification. Maybe the test isn't totally accurate, but I didn't tell him which battery wouldn't start the engine and which would, and the defective one was still revealed quite clearly in the test.

Yes it's a neat bit of kit and no load to the battery, all done through frequency spectrometry!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 26-11-2013 06:29pm by PhilSkill.)
26-11-2013 06:26pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

IIRC the Diesel Evoques have a different battery to the gasoline engined cars - it's a heavy duty battery in the TD's/SD's

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
26-11-2013 08:42pm
alibeau

Update!

Gearbox fault - traction reduced warning came on this morning. Rang dealer who asked me to ring LR Assist. LR Assist came out. I explained about my recent battery problem and now this warning and also my alarm went off for no reason this morning - all battery related I would assume. The very nice LR Assist guy agreed that it all seemed battery related and he asked if my car had the latest software update - I presumed 'yes' as my car had been in for it's second service only last week.

Disappointed to find that my car had not had the software update despite the dealer telling me it had Sad Also as I had informed the dealer of my prior battery problem the LR Assist guy said it should go without saying that they should have updated the software Rolling Eyes So this is my first 'dealer disappointment'.....

LR Assist guy sorted the software update for me and hopes I should encounter no further problems - fingers crossed!

Don't panic, I won't let this episode dampen my festive spirit!!!!! Merry Xmas everyone Very Happy

Ali.

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
(This post was last modified: 20-12-2013 05:11pm by alibeau.)
20-12-2013 05:09pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The problem is that the BMS software upgrade is bumbled with the Stop/Start system upgrade patch, I'm 90% certain that dealers service people do not select the Stop/Start
upgrade from the list they get when they plug the car into their computer "because it
is an automatic and hasn't got Stop/Start" not appreciating that the upgrade also upgrades the BMS system. I now know of at least 15 owners who have been in contact
recently with weak/flat batteries and from what they say their car has had a service, it's an automatic and it hasn't received the "stop/Start" upgrade. LR needs to look into it
because it is cause a lot of unnecessary LRA call outs just because an upgrade is bundled with another that isn't applicable to many of the cars because they happen to be automatics.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
22-12-2013 12:27pm
alibeau

Morning Tim,

Thanks for your reply, very informative! Looks like I will be calling LR Assist again today though as same warning light has come back on. Strange thing is I thought that the warning light (gearbox fault - reduced traction) came on 'in error' due to the low battery power but the car was actually suffering from reduced traction yesterday, when I pulled away from a few junctions (in the rain) there was some wheel spinning going on and loss of control!

Ho hum! Or should that be Bah Humbug!

Ali.

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
22-12-2013 12:35pm
doug

Q261 is the software update you need.
My 2nd year service invoice has this listed as done & I have the Auto. I guess it depends on the dealer whether this update is automatically done or not. As Tim pointed out, it's named "stop start" so could get overlooked on a Auto model.

Gearbox fault on the display is a LR thing for a low battery. My D3 was the same & as my RRE is only used weekends it often shows this fault if I've only driving 2 miles (Tesco) in two weeks. That said, I now know to leave my trickle charger on when the outside temperature drops.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
(This post was last modified: 22-12-2013 01:08pm by doug.)
22-12-2013 01:01pm