Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Had a test drive.
brommy

RE: Had a test drive.

(15-09-2011 10:56pm)bogstomper Wrote:  
(15-09-2011 08:07pm)brommy Wrote:  
(15-09-2011 07:15pm)bogstomper Wrote:  My test drive is tomorrow (Friday) - any pointers, tips or things to watch out for? Thanks

Ask if it has 'park assist'. Even if you are not considering it, it's worth trying out for the amusement!

Thanks - I haven't spec'd it but you're right, it would be interesting to try... I've got a variety of roads in mind so should get a decent impression of whether or not it's for me...

I past a quiet lane with some cars parked outside their owners houses. There was a gap of about two car lengths (not exactly a big test but good enough to demo the system). It worked really well and at the time I drove away I thought 'what's another £460 when I'm considering spending £40k?'. On reflection though 99% of my parking is not street/parallel parking. I'd think I'd use the system around 10 times per year which over 4 or 5 years ownership is around £10 per park! Also, as with many extras, I can see a dealer ignoring it's value when it comes to part-ex.

If I did a lot of street parking and/or had money to burn, I'd get it; but at £10 per go for me, I think not!
15-09-2011 11:49pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SebM

Test drive planned for next Thursday, the 22nd of Septembre at 8:00am... I am impatient...

Actually : '04 Lotus Elise Mk2 111 & '11 Land Rover Defender 90 SW RAW
16-09-2011 07:49am
bogstomper

So overall I'm impressed - I had most of the day in a Dynamic Si4 Coupe and am impressed with the handling, cabin fit and finish, quietness (except when accelerating to overtake), equipment and ability to deal with uneven road surfaces around town. If I were being picky, the position of the rear view mirror is annoying (I found myself having to peer under/around it to pull out of T-junctions), the engine noise at higher revs is a bit of a droan and the gearbox can be a little, err, fidgety. None of it is enough to spoil what is a good car though. My one enduring concern is I noticed my lower back getting a bit sore - I'd tried to get the seat position right (standard seats) and played with the lumbar adjustment a bit, but I don't know whether for some reason today I just have a bit of a sore back (I don't usually) or whether I can blame it on the car somehow...! ;o) An enjoyable day - and the weather was rubbish so I reckon if you can enjoy a car when the weather is bad, that's not a bad test...
16-09-2011 05:07pm
oop north

You need to drive another to see if your back hurts in it. I got a VW Golf az a company car that gave me backache for three years
16-09-2011 09:04pm
bogstomper

Good thought. Has anyone else who has had some time in one experienced this? thanks
17-09-2011 10:28am
ytshome

(16-09-2011 05:07pm)bogstomper Wrote:  My one enduring concern is I noticed my lower back getting a bit sore - I'd tried to get the seat position right (standard seats) and played with the lumbar adjustment a bit, but I don't know whether for some reason today I just have a bit of a sore back (I don't usually) or whether I can blame it on the car somehow...! ;o) An enjoyable day - and the weather was rubbish so I reckon if you can enjoy a car when the weather is bad, that's not a bad test...

Hi, I do recall reading an article which attributed Mike Cross (the JLR test driver) as saying that the prestige standard seats offered the greater balance of comfort, compared to the standard dynamic. He mentioned similar things regarding the difference in comfort level on the 18 and 19" wheels compared to the 20's. He didn't mention the dynamic plus seats, and this was what persuaded me to go the prestige route as I suffer from back problems

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
(This post was last modified: 17-09-2011 03:23pm by ytshome.)
17-09-2011 03:19pm
ant

FWIW - I've sat in all variations of seats (admittedly some only briefly), and I've found the most comfortable and supportive are the Prestige.
ANT

Prestige, 5 dr, SD4 Auto, Firenze, Lux, Ambience, Adaptive Dynamics, (+other options).
Current cars: Evoque: 1972 Stag: 2008 C4 Grand Picasso x 2: 2004 Defender 110: LDV flatbed (for moving the Stag)
Gone: Aston Martin DB9Crying, RRS, FFRR x 5, Classic Minis x loads, 1987 Defender 110.
17-09-2011 05:35pm
Spiderman

(17-09-2011 05:35pm)ant Wrote:  FWIW - I've sat in all variations of seats (admittedly some only briefly), and I've found the most comfortable and supportive are the Prestige.
ANT

Agree With ytshome & Ant...

The Dynamic Plus seats are of the same Oxford Leather and so they too give equally good support.

The downside with the Dynamic models seats has to be the lack of tilt in the drivers & passenger seats, as well as the lack of height movement to the passengers seat, hence they are only 6/4 movement seats as opposed to the Prestiges & Dynamic Plus 8/6 seat movements, so if you suffer from back problems it would be sensible to arrange test drives in all 3 seats or at worst in at least a Prestige and a Dynamic.

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
(This post was last modified: 18-09-2011 07:03pm by Spiderman.)
18-09-2011 07:01pm
Big G

(13-09-2011 04:37pm)ED209 Wrote:  Been for my test drive today and although i was impressed it has left me with a colour dilemma, I have always wanted white but on seeing a grey evoque it has put the cat amongst the pigeons on colour choice.

Had a chat with the dealers and apparently i am now 19th on the list with that dealer which will probably put me on a late december build for jan/feb delivery.

Anyway a needless shot of the evoque i drove next to the car i drove to the dealers in.

[Image: imag0639v.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Test drove a pure and prestige both manual an 150 BHP TD4 and a 190BHP SD4 0 both great but the SD4was smoother and
more refined. Gonna go Presige black, Coupe, with Spirit interior and the adaptive dynamic pack plus a few extras, drives as good as it looks IMHO.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collected !! 18/02/2012
Prestige Coupe SD4 Sumatra Black, Spirit interior, Pano roof , Heated seats, Privacy, Rear vents, Rear camera,Manual & style 5 19s. Not Prestige mats, 54 miles in tank when collected.
18-09-2011 07:29pm
musher

Did you get a chance to see how many exhaust's there were on the TD4 Pure and what was the difference in power like between the 2Confused:

MY 14 Fuji 5 Door Dynamic SD4 9 Speed Auto Box with pano roof, auto boot, Auto dimming rear view mirror, Privacy glass, Mud Flaps, Bonnet/Boot black Lettering and 5 year service plan thrown in for good measure
18-09-2011 07:42pm