Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Geneva Motor Show - Evoque Convertible
stef.c

Geneva Motor Show - Evoque Convertible

So its been confirmed. Gerry McGovern has taken to the stand and officially announced the Evoque Convertible will be coming, though not for at least 3 years.

I know there are some people out there that will chastise me for saying so but is this a bit of a mistake? And yes I know that the original concept of the Landrover was as a convertible...

Its just that I can't help feeling that they are going down the road of the Mini by exploiting this fantastic vehicle as much as is possible. With the Mini we had the original remake which was followed by the Countryman, Clubvan, Rocketman etc. Talk about watering down a concept.

And does anybody feel this convertible makes it look kinda wrong now and not like the original spirit of the LRX? It could even be mistaken for a Golf Cabriolet...

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2012 03:45pm by stef.c.)
06-03-2012 03:03pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

RE: Geneva Motor Show - Evoque Convertible

Well, I'll be shot even more, but I'm off to the dealer in a minute to get my name down on it! Lol

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
06-03-2012 03:06pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kimv

(06-03-2012 03:06pm)RacingSnake Wrote:  Well, I'll be shot even more, but I'm off to the dealer in a minute to get my name down on it! Lol

And I'll just wait, see what it looks like on the street, think for a few months, then go to the dealer and order one. And it will be delivered before yours Wink

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Tech Pack, Santorini Black, Verve Interior with Ebony headlining, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Solar Attenuating Glass, Style 7 Alloys, Adaptive Dynamics.
06-03-2012 03:19pm
dima

The rims are awesome!!!

Arrived on 02/02/12: Si4 Dynamic in Fuji-White (4 door, Pano-Roof, Style 6, Vortex Ebony, PDC + Camera, Privacy)
06-03-2012 03:22pm
Pommyboi

Maybe I misunderstood the original spirit of the LRX but this fits it in my eyes, modern, stylish, desirable, bringing new urban, younger owners to the Range Rover brand.

I think the EVO video review put it well, this is not a Range Rover as you traditionally know it, it's something new so LR will make the most of it in every way possible to improve the return on their investment. To survive and be profitable they need to make models that sell, if it sells and keeps people in employment then it's good in my books.

It'll be most interesting if Porsche produces a cab. version of their new Cajun 4x4.

p.s. I would not apply this point to all brands as the new Bentley 4x4 concept is a dreadful design and probably will do more harm than good if they don't water it down!

On order: Feb 2012 - Pure, 5 door, SD4 auto, Style 4 wheels, Front parking, fog lights, rear camera, spare wheel. Red Contrast roof, Ebony- final spec TBC
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2012 03:58pm by Pommyboi.)
06-03-2012 03:35pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

If people are already shelling out deposits for it then there is a market for it, just like LRX. Iknow at least 3 people waiting to take delivery of an Evoque Coupe who will take delivery and put down a deposit on a rag top at the same time. It might be blurring the Range Rover badge more but at least it doesn't have the Victoria Beckham badge on the back. It will go down a bomb with the wealthy girls who own Golf/A3 cabs and Audi A5 cabrios - and it has a badge that everybody aspires to. One thing not to forget now is that Range Rover is no longer a model in Land Rover's range of cars, it is a BRAND in it's own right and has to stand on it's own two feet. It will be a "must have " fashion accessory for years to come.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
06-03-2012 06:15pm
J77

@XFFT- LR are going back to the way things were, as the original Range Rover was seperate from the LR and didn't display the LR are badge on it until the 1989MY. But I do think this car is a bit overkill, on the other hand though if it bosts LRs sales and profits then it's all good.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
06-03-2012 06:46pm
Token

I personally don't like it, but clearly there will be a market for it sadly. I agree with the LR and RR having their own identity, but RR shouldn't forget it's roots. Actually, the same applies to the Defender...the new Defender looks great, but I've spoken to some farmer friends of mine and they don't like it at all...so whilst they will win many customers, they may lose a few along the way.

I guess that the reality is for LR to be sustainable they need a more diverse product range; I felt that BMW cheapened the brand with the 1-series and Mercedes with the A-class...but those two companies just get stronger and stronger. At least LR have differentiated between the LR and the RR brand which means that they have a chance of maintaining the exclusivity of the RR brand...I just hope they don't destroy it with the Evoque.

I suppose that ultimately I'm a badge snob...so perhaps I should just drop the snobbery and move with the times!

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
06-03-2012 07:13pm
RacingSnake

I dont fall into the weathly golf cab owning girl category... But I am now on the order list Surprised

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
06-03-2012 07:18pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Well done RS, you are getting good at buying cars with a long lead in time! Only another 3 years to go................. bit like my DC100 deposit

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2012 07:25pm by XFullFatTim.)
06-03-2012 07:24pm