Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
GAP Insurance
Tony

GAP Insurance

We are about two weeks from delivery of our Dynamic Lux (black, black and more black) and the dealer is offering GAP insurance at £399 return to invoice for three years. This is good compared with another dealer who tried it on at £649, they also wanted £360 to polish the car with Autoglym - No thanks!.

Normally pay cash for our cars so not bothered with GAP insurance before but as this may be the last Range Rover I can afford on my pension I thought it would be a good precaution.

A quick Google brings up a number of cheaper options even at 4 or 5 years, does anyone have any experience or recommendations.

Tony

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
05-06-2014 02:52pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: GAP Insurance

Have you also tried a quote from Kam100 or A Plan, two of our forum sponsors?

I didn't bother with taking out either GAP or Wheel and Tyre cover on the new car. The Wheel and Tyre was useful on the last car but the dealer I used for the new car didn't offer either GAP or Wheel and Tyre. The car was treated to the AutoGlym treatment but I didn't pay very much for it - it remain to be seen if it lasts as well as the Gard-X treatment that was applied to my 1st Evoque.......... after 2 years it was still working really well and I hadn't bothered with all the faf of applying the intermediate teatments that came with the suitcase of pots of "stuff"!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2014 03:14pm by XFullFatTim.)
05-06-2014 03:10pm
Tony

(05-06-2014 03:10pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Have you also tried a quote from Kam100 or A Plan, two of our forum sponsors?

Tim, Not tried A plan, Kam's site link to GAP is broken - I have pm'd him.

I have a workshop full of Autoglym and other potions, all it costs me is the time.

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2014 03:24pm by Tony.)
05-06-2014 03:14pm
XFullFatTim

I'm the same - get given special gift pack of the stuff at Christams and birthdays but never have the enthusiasm to actually go out an polish my cars! Too much like hard work that. One great thing about Zanzibar is how well it hides diry! When the car is really filthy it look like Matt Zanzibar rather than dirty, I've also been surprised that the black allo wheels haven't been the work-up to keep clean that I expected and had read about on the forum. One thing I do notice on this car that I never notoiced on the Fuji one is pollen and dust on the bonnet - looking out from the driver's seat it is very noticable on the bonnet even within a short time of washing the car, something I never saw in the white car. BUT then this car doesn't seem to attract the 100's of little black bugs when it is parked up like the white one did!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
05-06-2014 03:44pm
Tony

Never had a problem with polishing, this was one of my previous efforts, sold to buy a building plot - we all make mistakes!!

05-06-2014 05:30pm
XFullFatTim

Ahh but you cannot live in a car! Well not that kind of car and our fine Scottish weather must have meant that there weren't too many days suitable for roofless driving too.

05-06-2014 06:09pm
Tony

(05-06-2014 06:09pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Ahh but you cannot live in a car! Well not that kind of car and our fine Scottish weather must have meant that there weren't too many days suitable for roofless driving too.

Never (intentionally) went out in the rain, it was fitted with 5.7litre HO Chevy V8, 10.5" width rear wheels and NO traction control. Every bit as dangerous as a genuine 427 Cobra on a wet road but no rattles and no flat batteries.

We had a perfectly good house before but the wife wanted to move somwhere more 'rural'!!. However she has agreed to let me look for a nice MGB (with a V8 of course).

05-06-2014 06:23pm
Gjh0702

(05-06-2014 02:52pm)Tony Wrote:  We are about two weeks from delivery of our Dynamic Lux (black, black and more black) and the dealer is offering GAP insurance at £399 return to invoice for three years. This is good compared with another dealer who tried it on at £649, they also wanted £360 to polish the car with Autoglym - No thanks!.

Normally pay cash for our cars so not bothered with GAP insurance before but as this may be the last Range Rover I can afford on my pension I thought it would be a good precaution.

A quick Google brings up a number of cheaper options even at 4 or 5 years, does anyone have any experience or recommendations.

Tony

I looked up cost on the Daily Telegraph- took it to the dealer who agreed to match cost

Prestige 5 door ,my 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof, privacy glass, 20in Alloy style 7
05-06-2014 06:46pm
Tony

(05-06-2014 06:46pm)Gjh0702 Wrote:  I looked up cost on the Daily Telegraph- took it to the dealer who agreed to match cost

Thanks, worth a try, I will print off a few quotes and pass them in front of the dealer. No panic to buy GAP on delivery day, most companies seem to give up to 180 days after the vehicle is registered.

05-06-2014 06:54pm
MarkA_

GAP Insurance

Make sure you get vehicle replacement cover not return to invoice. MY15 change is prime example as there are price rises. Vehicle replacement cover will pay the difference between the old and new model prices, RTI just to the original invoice value.

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
08-06-2014 12:10pm