Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Fuel Economy
IvorRedOne

Fuel Economy

Hi Guys, Been reading some interesting threads and solutions to problems but could someone throw me a bone here please?
I have the SD4 Pure Manual. I was informed that the MPG would be anything between 40 - 56 MPG considering the routes I take to work. Part Motorway part Urban.
My wifes Jaguar X-Type 2.0 Sport gives 44-50 MPG using the same route. My Previous Volvo 850 TDI 2.5 also gave around the same.
My new Evoque only gives 32 MPG according to the digital readout. It has been reset several times but still I get nothing higher than 32 MPG. I am not heavy footed and drive with care and also a qualified Driving Instructor though this isn't my main employment.
I spoke with my Dealership and they told me that until I reach around 5K on the clock I will be getting a low return. The car has on the clock only 1300 miles.
Could anyone throw some light on this. It didn't state this in the brochure or user manual and all the cars I have had in the past I have never had this issue. Grateful for some kind of explanation. Not sure if the Dealership is blowing smoke up my ar5e. Thanks
04-05-2012 12:24pm
Find all posts by this user
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Fuel Economy

Dealer is leading you up the garden path Ivor, loads of posts here and comments in the motoring press about poor economy.
This is the main thread but there are a couple of others http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Real-world-mpg?page=75
48,000 views makes this by far the most popular thread on the forum

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2012 12:32pm by XFullFatTim.)
04-05-2012 12:30pm
IvorRedOne

(04-05-2012 12:30pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Dealer is leading you up the garden path Ivor, loads of posts here and comments in the motoring press about poor economy.
This is the main thread but there are a couple of others http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Real-world-mpg?page=75
48,000 views makes this by far the most popular thread on the forum
Many thanks. Had a feeling he hadn't a clue at the dealership. Will read with interest. Feel as Though I have been conned into buying this car. Main reason was for fuel economy. Thanks.
04-05-2012 12:41pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Your consumption should improve BUT the official figures are a long way from what most owners are achieving in real life driving.
There is a report in the new issue of What Car? of a guy with a Dynamic 2.2SD4 who is only getting 18mpg!
Most of us are living with it and just enjoying the superb driving experience.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2012 12:49pm by XFullFatTim.)
04-05-2012 12:49pm
IvorRedOne

Thanks for the response. I too am thoroughly enjoying the driving experience but a bit miffed at the amount of times I have visited the local thieving station for fuel. I don't ever drive with the aircon unless it is extremely hot but no chance of that in Northern Ireland. I run the aircon for around 30 mins per month as i have done with all my other cars just to make sure it works. I do hope the MPG does pick up as you say. This is the only disappointment with the car so far.
04-05-2012 01:08pm
mark_n

I'm afraid the real world economy is miles apart from the published figures. It's a big, heavy car with a large x-sectional area and air resistance will be a big hit. The economy plummets at 80 on the motorway compared to 60. I get 28 mpg on a run with my Si4 which is acceptable but the diesels do seem to fall far short of the pie-in-the-sky figures from LR.

I know we all have this cosy feeling depreciation is going to be OK but a reputation of poor economy, high servicing costs and especially high tyre costs - a set of 20" is more than £1000 - will hit it compared to a new Korean with a long warranty in the secondhand market.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
05-05-2012 04:29am
xxxx5

(05-05-2012 04:29am)mark_n Wrote:  I'm afraid the real world economy is miles apart from the published figures. It's a big, heavy car with a large x-sectional area and air resistance will be a big hit. The economy plummets at 80 on the motorway compared to 60. I get 28 mpg on a run with my Si4 which is acceptable but the diesels do seem to fall far short of the pie-in-the-sky figures from LR.

I know we all have this cosy feeling depreciation is going to be OK but a reputation of poor economy, high servicing costs and especially high tyre costs - a set of 20" is more than £1000 - will hit it compared to a new Korean with a long warranty in the secondhand market.

as always nice and cheery post Mark_n

Now Sold: 5dr Pure SD4 Man / Fuji White / Pano Roof / Tech Park / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Xenons / Black H'lining / Power Fold Door Mirrors / Power Tailgate / Carpet Mats / Front Fogs.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2012 07:58am by xxxx5.)
05-05-2012 07:57am
mark_n

Just being realistic.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
05-05-2012 11:17pm
IvorRedOne

Well, today I took the car out on a journey around Northern Ireland and managed to achieve 38,8 so this has eased my dissapointment a little. Still a long way from my Volvo 850 2.5 TDI I had for 15 years. I remember Driving from Germany, through to France catching the ferry then driving from Dover all the way to Manchester and still had fuel in the tank. This was just short of 700 miles on a full tank at a steady 60mph on the motorways and driving mostly through the night and this was nearly 15 years ago. 15 years on and I am driving the latest in technology and cannot get 40MPG. Though the Evoque car has now 1500 on the clock I do hope that I can achieve around 44 MPG. I would be satisfied with that.
05-05-2012 11:25pm
Bodlyfunctions

My TD4 is on 4000 miles now and I am getting average of 40mpg, so getting better. My only gripe is the size of the fuel tank. Would love to be able to get to London and back without a top-up. Given the size, shape, weight and 4WD nature of the RRE, I am pretty happy with 40mpg, few of its competitors match this, and those that do sacrifice looks and style for economy. Let's be honest, if we were buying an SUV purely for 45mpg+ we would all be driving dull Eco-Quashqui's or Kia Rubbishes (or whatever they are called).
06-05-2012 12:14am
Thread Closed