Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Frustrating i have to go with a Manual!
PJ

RE: Frustrating i have to go with a Manual!

Hi I'm in a similar position as the auto will cost me £1000 more a year in company car/fuel tax given the higher co2. I think the auto suits the car (having driven one) but is it worth a £1000 extra every year? Having not been able to drive a manual version I'm really not sure what to do. Really disappointed with the co2 levels and as stated above this thing really needs a more efficient 8 speed auto.
Arrrr again!!!
(This post was last modified: 24-08-2011 09:09am by XFullFatTim.)
17-08-2011 09:48pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mike

Sorry Mark you are wrong in your assumptions that its all the same in the end. Haven't you thought if thats the case why the 2 levels 10% and 20% ? At the end under the new tax system the potential loss on the vehicle at time of sale no longer can be written of against tax, the loss on the car goes into a special little box on the tax return which means hey I've made a loss but as its in this box nice Mr Taxman excludes it from the tax calc. Sorry but the sensible thing to do is the manual because yes sole traders will save twice as much.

Firenze Red Dynamic SD4 Man
Red Black Leather
Pan Roof
Shadow Alloys
Black Roof and Headlining
Privacy Glass
Delivered 27/1/12
18-08-2011 10:01am
mark_n

Yes, I see the rules have changed since I retired in 2009. It now appears that an difference between the written down value and the disposal value can now itself only be written down at 10% or 20% where previously, you could write down the amount lost on disposal at 100%. Just another nail in the coffin for company cars, I'm afraid,

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
18-08-2011 11:12am
pugracer

Can I say "Frustrating i have to go with a Auto!"

LOL
24-08-2011 08:35am
Daigriff

...well I've changed to auto anyway, feel happy about it despite the lesser tax breaks and worse fuel consumption... Heho you can't take it with you!!!

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
26-08-2011 10:37pm
andyuk

All I ask is LR to change the Auto to 8 speed & also add stop/start then you will have emissions to match the manual!

Dynamic SD4 Manual Red with Black contrast & Panaramic Roof, Vortex Interior, 20" Alloys, Privacy Glass, Black Headlining
27-08-2011 01:39am
mark_n

I don't know how start-stop is meant to work but a car I rented on holiday had a mind of its own when it stopped and when it didn't, something to do with my foot being on the brake with the car in neutral. With an automatic, you have to put your foot on the brake to restart the car, so I don't know how you'd tell the car let's go because the transmission is always engaged in Drive.

Afraid autos are always going to be less fuel efficient because of the hydraulics and slushy torque converter.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
27-08-2011 06:07am
paulus599

Normally in stop start equiped cars you have to have the car in neutral, the handbrake on and both feet off the pedals, the car will then start as soon as you dip the clutch. Your guess is as good as mine in how that translates to an Auto. It must be possible though, coz they're making them. Smile

SD4 Prestige Coupe Auto, Fuji White, Pano roof, Park assist, Powered tailgate, Style 6 alloys, Element interior, Adaptive Dynamics. Build date: WAS 21/10/2011 Delivered 13/12/2011
Now: Evoque SD4 Coupe
Gone: TTS Roadster
Gone: Mini Cooper S
Gone: Mercedes SLK
27-08-2011 10:06am
defender_uk

Had to go with a manual too, unfortunately. Not because of tax breaks, unfortunately. I need the MPG. After 15 years of auto Range Rovers, now to an manual. Just waiting for the stop/start on the diesel, or the 8 speed auto, which they are working on at the moment. Sooner the better!!!!

Defender_uk

Evoque Prestige Lux, OG, maual, style 4 wheels

comes to live with Defender 90 TDCi 07
27-08-2011 10:24am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply