Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fitting an in-line socket for cigarette-lighter plug
TE12BOY

Fitting an in-line socket for cigarette-lighter plug

Hi, I want to fit an in-line socket for cigarette-lighter plug hidden under the dash (behind the trim) so that I can use it to permanently fit power leads for my iPhone 4S/ iPhone 5 which will be on a windscreen mount. Can anyone give me any guidance on achieving this? I obviously need a permanent or accessory wired supply. The power use would be low so does not need to be protected by a highly rated fuse.

I would appreciate any kind of information. Although I have carried out this type of thing before that was in the days when one connection was the supply and the other was to the metal body of the car (earth). I'm pretty certain things have moved on so consider me a complete novice on this one!

Regards,
Terrence ​Smile
23-09-2012 08:39pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Fitting an in-line socket for cigarette-lighter plug

Terrence, welcome to the forums

Have you thought about the LR accessory mount that gets hard wired into the system that allows owners of the other cars made by LR that don't have the connectivity that Evoque has? You may be able to get one on ebay or from Forum sponsor Duckworth. Part No LR002787 Audio Connectivity Module - not sure if it is connectable to the Meridian system as other LR vehicles have Alpine systems or Harmon Kardon

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 23-09-2012 08:51pm by XFullFatTim.)
23-09-2012 08:45pm
pureevoque

I spliced in to the wires going to the lighter socket next to the drinks holders, see powerfuluk's you tube video for removing the centre console and this will give you enough access.

ed4 Pure 5 Dr, Fuji, Xenons, Front Fogs, Power mirrors & tailgate, 20" Style 6. Ordered 290611 Delivered 090312
23-09-2012 09:58pm
Westy

I also did the same as pur evoque, I took a feed from the cigarette socket, ran it to the spare socket I installed under the drivers side of the dash and took an earth from the rigid olt mount for the dashboard, works a treat and charges my tom tom a treat, pulses with the ignition too.

I found this was the only sensible option, I agree the video will help you remove the trim to get access to the socket

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
24-09-2012 01:52am
TE12BOY

Hi, thanks for the advice! The video was the key - wouldn't have had a clue otherwise.

Just completed the job!

Thanks to all concerned. Very Happy

Terrence
26-09-2012 02:52pm